West Wales

Dave Naylor

9 hours ago, clifford said:

3 games(homes) in July, still no cash = no Clifford at the game?

Good luck boys....... Dave multi tasking on twitter???? 

Dave's Mum.  I tried to manage Twitter/Videoing but I need to be using both hands constantly on the video camera so I've had to call in reinforcements.  

7 minutes ago, clifford said:

If memory serves the "old" club record score was against Liverpool Stanley/city

For was about 66 against was 6

According to Turner 4/4/59 home v Liverpool city67-6. However the important thing to consider is they were 3 point tries. The number of tries were 13 and 14 goals from ganley. 

I've given some thought to Sunday's attendance.  The low (even lower) number was an anomaly brought about by a number of factors.

1. We were playing the winless bottom club and a high score from Oldham could be reasonably expected.  I saw some bookies odds on the  game and West Wales were given a 90pt start.  So we bettered that by a dozen.

2. The game came in a period where we've had hot sunny weather with plenty of recreational options available at the weekend.

3. Many, many fans will have spent Saturday evening watching the England soccer game, possibly at the pub or at a family event.

If you're watching the pennies or wanting to spend some time with your family, two events in the same weekend would be competing for your attention.  Given the choices of a forgone conclusion in the RL game or being swept along the euphoric wave of England's World Cup run, you can see how our attendance was so dire.

I did both but that may not have been feasible for others.

Having said all that, I would have estimated a crowd of 350-400 based on average attendances this year.  So a possible 100 or so people made a choice and we lost out.

We have four more home league games this year.  At least two of them—in the shape of Whitehaven and Bradford—should provide a tough test and games with real jeopardy.  Should we finish in the top three we should have a home semi-final against another top-five club, so there should be some thrills and spills to come at the Vestacare Stadium in the business end of the season.

Hopefully our attendances will pick up, even more so if results go our way.  Everyone loves to follow a winning team so let's keep our fingers crossed that it's us.

Stats

Hooley-3 tackles.one offload. 10 tackle busts. 5 clean breaks. 2 try assists. 17 carries=247m

West-1 tackle. one miss. 4 offloads. 7 tackle busts. one clean break. 13 carries=105m

Holmes-7 tackles. 2 tackle busts. 2 clean breaks. one try assist. 11 carries=81m

McComb-7 tackles. 11 tackle busts. 4 clean breaks. one try assist. 13 carries=205m

Kershaw-1 tackle. one offload. 8 tackle busts. 2 clean breaks. 13 carries=181m

Crook-2 tackles. one offload. 3 carries=17m

Hewitt-1 tackle. one offload. 5 tackle busts. one clean break. 2 try assists. 9 carries=110m

Spencer-18 tackles. 2 misses. one tackle bust. one clean break. 9 carries=86m

Owen-13 tackles. 2 tackle busts. 4 try assists. 4 carries=29m

Davies-11 tackles. one miss. one offload. one tackle busts.. 12 carries=106m

Bridge-9 tackles. 2 offloads. 5 tackle busts. 2 try assists. 6 carries=49m

Briscoe-13 tackles. one tackle bust. one try assist. 7 carries=75m

Bent-25 tackles. 3 carries=11m

subs

Cunningham-10 tackles. 2 offloads. 12 tackle busts. 3 clean breaks. 2 try assists. 15 carries=195m

Jones-14 tackles. 4 tackle busts. 10 carries=84m

Nelmes-10 tackles. one offload. one try assist. 7 carries=58m

Dezaria-6 tackles. 2 offloads. 2 tackle busts. one clean break. 5 carries=28m

4 hours ago, Dave Naylor said:

I've given some thought to Sunday's attendance.  The low (even lower) number was an anomaly brought about by a number of factors.

1. We were playing the winless bottom club and a high score from Oldham could be reasonably expected.  I saw some bookies odds on the  game and West Wales were given a 90pt start.  So we bettered that by a dozen.

2. The game came in a period where we've had hot sunny weather with plenty of recreational options available at the weekend.

3. Many, many fans will have spent Saturday evening watching the England soccer game, possibly at the pub or at a family event.

If you're watching the pennies or wanting to spend some time with your family, two events in the same weekend would be competing for your attention.  Given the choices of a forgone conclusion in the RL game or being swept along the euphoric wave of England's World Cup run, you can see how our attendance was so dire.

I did both but that may not have been feasible for others.

Having said all that, I would have estimated a crowd of 350-400 based on average attendances this year.  So a possible 100 or so people made a choice and we lost out.

We have four more home league games this year.  At least two of them—in the shape of Whitehaven and Bradford—should provide a tough test and games with real jeopardy.  Should we finish in the top three we should have a home semi-final against another top-five club, so there should be some thrills and spills to come at the Vestacare Stadium in the business end of the season.

Hopefully our attendances will pick up, even more so if results go our way.  Everyone loves to follow a winning team so let's keep our fingers crossed that it's us.

Tbh Dave if I wasn't a season ticket holder I probably wouldn't have been there simply because it was too hot for me,very uncomfortable.I too hope the attendances pick up as we will be in a pickle otherwise.I predicted sub 300, didn't expect to be correct.

Archived