Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Chris22

Challenge Cup

Recommended Posts

West Bowling beat Hammersmith 42-12.  I was hoping for a Hammersmith win and a home tie in the next round I could get to... but not to be.  Well done West Bowling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drighlington 32 Gloucester All Golds 4

A game effort from All Golds, but Drighlington just had too much. Just about warmed up - was absolutely perishing on 'the moor'...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tense, tight game at Scawthorpe as Bentley pipped the Army 18-16 in front of about 650 spectators. The visitors led 6-0 after eight minutes and 8-6 at the hour mark before two tries, both converted, gave the Yorkshire League club an 18-10 lead. The Army got a converted try in stoppage time but, despite the referee adding another four minutes, Bentley held out with some comfort. Bentley, who trained over Christmas to be ready for this big occasion, looked fit and determined. A test for anyone in round two! Admission was by donation and an eight-page programme sold for £2.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Admission was by donation and an eight-page programme sold for £2.

In keeping with the spirit of the thread about match tickets “how much???”


rldfsignature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

In keeping with the spirit of the thread about match tickets “how much???”

I suspect if Bentley didn't play on a pitch in a public park, which makes taking a gate difficult, they'd have done what most NCL clubs do: charged a couple of quid for admission and given away (or included with admission) the match programme. Most people seemed happy enough to buy a programme and chuck a donation in the buckets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hopping Mad said:

I suspect if Bentley didn't play on a pitch in a public park, which makes taking a gate difficult, they'd have done what most NCL clubs do: charged a couple of quid for admission and given away (or included with admission) the match programme. Most people seemed happy enough to buy a programme and chuck a donation in the buckets.

I was being ironic HM.


rldfsignature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just in from the Lock Lane-Longhorns tie. Says it all that the home team were absolutely begging for the final whistle. Down to 12 (after a 70th-minute red card), and with the All Ireland champions camped on their line, Lock Lane held out to win 16-10. For much of the game, however, Longhorns were the better team. Stats for possession and field position would be in their favour. Unfortunately, the visitors displayed more madness than method when threatening the Lock Lane line, though the hosts defended very well. A 16-page programme was included with £2.50 admission. Crowd was about 300. Horrible weather - cold with a bitter wind - for playing and spectating.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Just in from the Lock Lane-Longhorns tie. Says it all that the home team were absolutely begging for the final whistle. Down to 12 (after a 70th-minute red card), and with the All Ireland champions camped on their line, Lock Lane held out to win 16-10. For much of the game, however, Longhorns were the better team. Stats for possession and field position would be in their favour. Unfortunately, the visitors displayed more madness than method when threatening the Lock Lane line, though the hosts defended very well. A 16-page programme was included with £2.50 admission. Crowd was about 300. Horrible weather - cold with a bitter wind - for playing and spectating.

A big improvement on their (Longhorns) score in the Challenge Cup last season when they lost 58-10 to West Hull.

  • Like 1

rldfsignature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

A big improvement on their (Longhorns) score in the Challenge Cup last season when they lost 58-10 to West Hull.

Yes, I watched that tie, too. Before kick-off today, one of the Longhorns officials told me their players are now much less raw and naive than at West Hull. They certainly impressed me this afternoon. Lock Lane knew they'd been in a game.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2019 at 11:21 AM, The Hallucinating Goose said:

On my way to York for acorn v beverley, season starts here for me, couldn't wait another week for my rugby fix! 

Hope you enjoyed the game. Didn't make it in the end as by the time I'd gone out cycling, got some lunch and sorted myself out the 2pm kick off was too early for me. Ended up going to watch York City instead, should have saved my coin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing to add from my chat with the Longhorns people: on Saturday afternoon, they watched the East Leeds-Batley Boys tie. They were shocked by the amount of abuse the match officials received from the sidelines. Wouldn't happen in Ireland, they said.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"The Coral Challenge Cup second round draw will take place on Monday, January 28 at 6.00pm live from the clubhouse of either Wigan St Patricks or Leigh East on the BBC Sport website, depending on the result of their first-round tie this weekend (Saturday, January 26 – KO 2.30pm)."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Just in from the Lock Lane-Longhorns tie. Says it all that the home team were absolutely begging for the final whistle. Down to 12 (after a 70th-minute red card), and with the All Ireland champions camped on their line, Lock Lane held out to win 16-10. For much of the game, however, Longhorns were the better team. Stats for possession and field position would be in their favour. Unfortunately, the visitors displayed more madness than method when threatening the Lock Lane line, though the hosts defended very well. A 16-page programme was included with £2.50 admission. Crowd was about 300. Horrible weather - cold with a bitter wind - for playing and spectating.

16 page programme sounds like they've put some effort into that.  Well done LL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Second Round Draw 

Underbank Rangers v Featherstone Lions 
Wigan St Patricks v GB Police 
Thornhill Trojans v Rochdale Mayfield 
Thatto Heath Crusaders v Leigh Miners Rangers 
Ovenden v West Bowling 
Normanton Knights v Haydock 
West Hull v Bentley 
Milford Marlins v Lock Lane 
Wath Brow Hornets v York Acorn 
Drighlington v Wigan St Judes 
Millom v Siddal 
Distington v RAF 
East Leeds v Dewsbury Moor 

Ties to be played over the weekend of February 9-10 
 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...