Swinton Friendly

Dave Naylor

Always a good away game this, be nice to visit again. Will represent a tough challenge I think and nobby will be wanting to see more of his new squad. I hope Greenwood gets more game time than Sunday and be great to see if our new standoff plays. Looking forward to it ? 

Swinton 22 - 18 Oldham

Sounds like it was nip and tuck with only kicking separating them?  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Very even game. Swinton look miles in front of Rochdale based on the last two weeks. Their half backs were very good especially Fairclough.

We couldn't control their PTB speed in the second half which we will need to improve on but for the majority of the game we matched them. We need to be a bit more clinical as at the start of the second half we had them on the ropes but made 2 or 3 errors back to back after forcing a goal line drop out to gift them a try and lost our momentum.

Lots of positives again with McComb having another stormer and Johnson had a cracking second half at full back. Brook looked very tidy especially his passing and the kicks he missed were very tough in those conditions. Wilkinson continues to be our best hooker and has to start for me, Owen just isn't bringing anything to the game any more aside from back chat to the ref. Kershaw looked very rusty in the first half but got better as the game went on.

Looking forward to next week already.

5 minutes ago, m brooksy said:

Very even game. Swinton look miles in front of Rochdale based on the last two weeks. Their half backs were very good especially Fairclough.

We couldn't control their PTB speed in the second half which we will need to improve on but for the majority of the game we matched them. We need to be a bit more clinical as at the start of the second half we had them on the ropes but made 2 or 3 errors back to back after forcing a goal line drop out to gift them a try and lost our momentum.

Lots of positives again with McComb having another stormer and Johnson had a cracking second half at full back. Brook looked very tidy especially his passing and the kicks he missed were very tough in those conditions. Wilkinson continues to be our best hooker and has to start for me, Owen just isn't bringing anything to the game any more aside from back chat to the ref. Kershaw looked very rusty in the first half but got better as the game went on.

Looking forward to next week already.

Accurate summary 

You looked a good team today and I thought played the conditions better than us. On another day you would have won.

We should have taken the game away from you in the second half with the wind behind us but we didn't build pressure and allowed you to stay in the game and it nearly cost us. We lost a lot of yards when Hatton went off injured.

Good luck for the season, I expect you will be near the top. For us it will be a long season but we are in a much better place than last year. 

Decent game today. First half superb, second half Swinton bossed it. Overall a very encouraging performance, couple of our lads suffering with illness today but put a great shift in. Windy conditions for the kickers and those missed points cost us at least a draw.

Ref was indifferent for both sides and I don't think I have seen linesman on the field of play as much as today. Seemed like they were almost trying to be "second" refs. 

Still believe this is the best Oldham squad we have seen for a few seasons, looks very promising for the league campaign. 

Swinton definately a cut above Hornets on that performance and should do ok. Always a good day at Sale and friendly fans and staff too. Wish them all the best for the season. 

Archived