Widnes problems

dkw

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Isn't he 'crocked' and out for much of the season? Whilst you could argue that it's somewhat tough on him, you can understand why the newco would not want to retain his services.

Looks that way, which is pretty brutal/ruthless if true but what else can be done?

15 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I don't think there has been any official announcement regarding a points deduction, probably because IIRC the actual deduction depends on how much of the debt the newco take on, and that is not yet known.

BBC released this a few days ago - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/47323878

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

29 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Yet the RFL website gives no such info and on the same day this was also published  http://www.rlnews.co.uk/rfl-issue-widnes-statement/

If the governing body wish to emulate the association football lot - the points deduction may not be mandatory.

Penultimate paragraph - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47374621

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

7 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

If the governing body wish to emulate the association football lot - the points deduction may not be mandatory.

Penultimate paragraph - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47374621

RFL details here https://secure.rugby-league.com/ign_docs/Insolvency Policy_final PDF.pdf

Absolutely delighted with some of the names announced as making up the winning consortium, including one or two people who have posted on this forum as fans in the past and Roger Harrison MBE who's been a stalwart of English Schools Rugby League since the 1970s. Couldn't wish for a more genuine set of RL people. I don't think we're going to see directors loans, salaries or any financial shenanigans here.

3 minutes ago, chuffer said:

I remember roger when he coached the under 11's town team 30yrs ago, went to school with his son, lovely family

He coached me in the town team 28 years ago... He also coached my dad at St. Bedes!

8 minutes ago, JonM said:

He coached me in the town team 28 years ago... He also coached my dad at St. Bedes!

He wasnt at st bedes when i was there, but i was coached by a volunteer who came in once a week to take us after school, a man by the name of Dave Rolt....who has been a legend at widnes over the last week with his efforts and deserves a long term future at the club for all he's done

2 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

So, what happens to all this money raised by the VIQI? Where does that go, if anywhere? 

Apparently, it was ringfenced so that it had nothing to do with the administration process. Whether that bore out to be true or not ultimately i cant say....if true then, the fact that VIQI's director is a shareholder in the new company means those funds will prob go toward rebuilding/retaining the squad going forward

1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

So, what happens to all this money raised by the VIQI? Where does that go, if anywhere? 

I think that's TBD. But Jason Shaw from VIQI is one of those who has stumped up £25k in the share issue to become a director of the new company.

3 minutes ago, chuffer said:

Apparently, it was ringfenced so that it had nothing to do with the administration process. Whether that bore out to be true or not ultimately i cant say....if true then, the fact that VIQI's director is a shareholder in the new company means those funds will prob go toward rebuilding/retaining the squad going forward

Surely, given the sentimental, unique and highly treasured items people have given up, using that money to sign or re-sign a player that may only pull on the Widnes jersey till October and then jump at the first bit of Super League interest, would be a poor use of the money and a potential slap in the face should the above happen? That and that money can only last so long, it can only tie down players for a small period. 

Shouldn’t it be spent on something that is a bit longer term, like investment in the Academy or investment in say a training ground or something along those lines that are long lasting?

14 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Shouldn’t it be spent on something that is a bit longer term, like investment in the Academy or investment in say a training ground or something along those lines that are long lasting?

I think there's a distinction to be made between the (one-off) GoFundMe campaign and VIQI (the latter being a monthly membership arrangement that's been going since the 1990s.)

Fairly sure that some money has been promised and ringfenced for the academy, although it looks like some of the best academy players are off to SL clubs anyway. And it looks likely that those who're left may be playing rather more first team rugby in any case. Separate training ground seems unnecessary on a plastic pitch?

The takeover is by people who I think are not massively wealthy - a retired headteacher, for example. Looks like the club is going to honour season tickets too, so it's going to be a very tight budget. The money from VIQI will be needed to just see the season out I would think.

On 2/27/2019 at 3:47 PM, tuutaisrambo said:

RL goes the great lengths to let everyone know the games that matter are at the end of the season.

The best teams peak at the end on the season when it counts most etc

The challenge cup is continually devalued and played at the wrong times.......the final is when everyone is on holiday

and we play all our 'Big games' on weekday evenings

and then we wonder why crowds are falling ?

Hmmm, I seem to remember going to a tin pot final between two clubs in Hull that managed to get 18500 ... on a Tuesday night one week before xmas. If fans are bothered they'll go to games no matter what day of the week, it's just that RL doesn't seem to hold the sway of some fans as it might well have done in the past.

Still, the crowds are far bigger than they were for many clubs than the 1970s and 80s and the 90s too.

Archived