Widnes problems

dkw

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.widnesvikings.co.uk/news/article/55551/rfl-approve-takeover

The Vikings can firstly confirm that first team players Adam Tangata, Krisnan Inu and Wellington Albert have all left the club. 

.....the club can also confirm that academy players Sam Walters and Jarrod O’Connor have also left the club to join Leeds Rhinos for undisclosed fees, a decision that was made by the administrators appointed....

first team staff Adam Rowland and Andy Woolfenden, and administrative staff Emmy Holmes and Samantha Croston, have also left the club. The Vikings again would like to thank all for their efforts during their time at the Halton Stadium. 

It does seem to be very quick work by the administrators and due diligence has been completed very quickly.

As has the fit and proper persons/influential persons checks.

So placing a club into administration is a better option than waiting for a winding-up situation.

I would like to think it doesn't happen again to any other professional rugby league club.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

2 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

On the other hand, they need to so avoiding relegation as their ONLY aim this season.

The 1895 cup might look a bit more interesting than it did a couple of weeks ago.

Sam Walters is a fantastic prospect. Was really impressed with him for England Academy vs Australian Schoolboys. A big loss for Widnes and big coup for Leeds who now have fantastic academy back row of Walters, Trout, Dupree and Mustapha who might transition to prop. 

I know less about O’Connor, although heard he’s a good prospect. Anyone know any more?

2 hours ago, Moove said:

Didn't take Leeds long to start sniffing round

Brown envelopes all around.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Widnes havent been rescued / bought out / taken over.....

It's a completely new entity / legal identity that's been granted RFL membership without hesitation. 

In this instance it's what needed to happen otherwise the Championship would have been messed up big time. 

The thing is they would have done the same thing post season anyway as per the Bradford Bulls whilst other investors wanting to use different identities and ideas are getting turned away. Thoughts? Not sure myself! The RFL and ultimately it's owners / Member Clubs are encouraging a reckless system of mismanagement......

35 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Widnes havent been rescued / bought out / taken over.....

It's a completely new entity / legal identity that's been granted RFL membership without hesitation. 

In this instance it's what needed to happen otherwise the Championship would have been messed up big time. 

The thing is they would have done the same thing post season anyway as per the Bradford Bulls whilst other investors wanting to use different identities and ideas are getting turned away. Thoughts? Not sure myself! The RFL and ultimately it's owners / Member Clubs are encouraging a reckless system of mismanagement......

How are they? We got a 12pt deduction for going into administration for 1 week....we didnt go into liquidation and come back as a new entity with new players etc

Really good news, so glad for their fans.

No doubt it'll be back to discussing the purpose of a points deduction as it hasn't ever proved effective as a deterant, just an insurance they'll stay down longer.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, chuffer said:

How are they? We got a 12pt deduction for going into administration for 1 week....we didnt go into liquidation and come back as a new entity with new players etc

Widnes Sport Ltd 06414112 aka Widnes Vikings RFL member Club since at least 2007......

As opposed to Widnes Rugby League Club Ltd 11853608 incorporated 28th Feb 2019 and appears to have been granted RFL Membership in the last couple of days.

Remains to be seen if you (the original and authentic you) get dissolved or liquidated.

47 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Remains to be seen if you (the original and authentic you) get dissolved or liquidated.

The original and authentic members's club, formed in the 1870s, owned by its members (aka season ticket holders) lasted until the 1990s when the RFL ordered all clubs to become limited companies. No chance of the members club going bust because they couldn't borrow money.

1 hour ago, Smudger06 said:

Widnes Sport Ltd 06414112 aka Widnes Vikings RFL member Club since at least 2007......

As opposed to Widnes Rugby League Club Ltd 11853608 incorporated 28th Feb 2019 and appears to have been granted RFL Membership in the last couple of days.

Im talking about "we" as a club rather than the various limited companies that have been in ownership over the years. The fact that we went into admin and transferred ownership avoided the necessity to fold the club up and sell all the assets (players) and liquidate. I dont see how getting a 12pt deduction encourages anyone else to go down this route (as if its something you would choose to do unless the last resort)

1 hour ago, JonM said:

The original and authentic members's club, formed in the 1870s, owned by its members (aka season ticket holders) lasted until the 1990s when the RFL ordered all clubs to become limited companies. No chance of the members club going bust because they couldn't borrow money.

That's why I included the year 2007 in my full comment. 

47 minutes ago, chuffer said:

Im talking about "we" as a club rather than the various limited companies that have been in ownership over the years. The fact that we went into admin and transferred ownership avoided the necessity to fold the club up and sell all the assets (players) and liquidate. I dont see how getting a 12pt deduction encourages anyone else to go down this route (as if its something you would choose to do unless the last resort)

You....as a Club or as a brand? The administrators wouldn't be able to sell the players for anything more than a token or nominal amount, there's nothing else to sell off except perhaps a badge and the nickname Vikings. There's no property, no cash....nowt Except debts. We will see but there's no way that the new company is acting as a shell company and as taken on the original company as a wholly owned subsidiary or that the new company is taking 51% or more of a shareholding in the old company. 

So basically the RFL as gifted another group of face fits people membership to run a brand that is acceptable to the other Club owners. Don't think they'd have done the same to Keighley or Swinton arose from the ashes.....

Main thing is you've got Rugby League in Widnes and the brand you happen to follow survives. 

I'm just questioning the fairness of it all in regard to some existing members and some who want to give it a go in other areas and get knocked back......

16 hours ago, Colin James said:

https://swintonlionsrlfc.co.uk/news/chairmans-statement/

There are some serious questions to be answered.

Oh dear. Don't say that the RFL have found another hole to dig themselves into!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

22 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Oh dear. Don't say that the RFL have found another hole to dig themselves into!

Never under estimate how woeful the people are running the RFL nowadays.

We have the most incompetent people i can ever remember at the RFL now and I'm in my 60's.

I long for them to show me I'm wrong, but somehow i don't think they can or will.

We are in my opinion the worst run professional sporting organisation in the UK.

How Rimmer can justify the money he gets is totally beyond me.

On 3/1/2019 at 9:40 AM, David Shepherd said:

I'd hazard a guess that this is one of the reasons you went bust in the first place.

Everyone needs to be realistic about the future and I'd imagine that even considering remaining full time would land you back with the buckets back out quicker than you can say Bradford Bulls.

The buckets were out yesterday at Odsal collecting for Widnes.  Quite a bit raised as well.

Thanks for coming.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

2 hours ago, the man said:

Bucket collection at Barrow on Sunday. We can't afford to lose clubs like Widnes.

A fool and his money... They've been saved and essentially kept the same FT squad as hey started the season with. Widnes will have far more money and income than Barrow, give it to them if you want to donate to a good cause.

Archived