The 2019 Cricket World Cup Thread

I thought we looked a tad sloppy . Whether it was overconfidence or not fully switched on but we were off our standards and got a bit frustrated . Still you’d say that’s a manageable score on this deck 

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

349 to win... highest WC chase required.

England scored more than this 3 times in ODIs against Pakistan last month - and the 4th time they batted, they got into the 340s to win with balls to spare. Still favourites, I reckon, although it needs us to play a lot better than we did for their innings.

7 minutes ago, JonM said:

England scored more than this 3 times in ODIs against Pakistan last month - and the 4th time they batted, they got into the 340s to win with balls to spare. Still favourites, I reckon, although it needs us to play a lot better than we did for their innings.

We’ve not started too well... 60-2.

Second best . Off with the ball , poor in the field which cost plenty of runs . And awful dropped catch . Pakistan bowled better and we could get never break away with big overs . It was all ones twos and the odd boundary . 

I've enjoyed what I've seen and heard of the tournament so far. A shame that the highlights are in a slot that would seem oddly familiar to Rugby League fans.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Missed the game but a few salient points here:

Firstly, I would rather England had a game like this in Group stage than in the Semi-Final / Final.

Second point, Jofra Archer went for a few today but is a work in progress and not the finished article and it's unfair to expect him to be

Final point, as a bowling unit you cannot go on conceding 320 plus because sooner or later your batters will not be able to dig you out of a hole, which is what happened today.

I am surprised people think its a surprise that Pakistan won. It is not as I stated yesterday. there are about six teams that could be in the Semi-Finals and when you get there it all boils down to who plays well on the day. unlike in prevous years, there is no one dominant side in this tournament.

Sticking with my Prediction - Australia beat New Zealand in the Final

Losing semi-finalists - England and India.

Unlike my reverse malachi RL predictions, My cricket ones are accurate

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

28 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Firstly, I would rather England had a game like this in Group stage than in the Semi-Final / Final.

Second point, Jofra Archer went for a few today but is a work in progress and not the finished article and it's unfair to expect him to be

Final point, as a bowling unit you cannot go on conceding 320 plus because sooner or later your batters will not be able to dig you out of a hole, which is what happened today.

I am surprised people think its a surprise that Pakistan won. It is not as I stated yesterday. there are about six teams that could be in the Semi-Finals and when you get there it all boils down to who plays well on the day. unlike in prevous years, there is no one dominant side in this tournament.

And modest too!

29 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Your final point is wrong. The bowling unit was more or less okay. If the fielding had been to England's recent standards then England would have won the match even with an overall sub par performance.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Your final point is wrong. The bowling unit was more or less okay. If the fielding had been to England's recent standards then England would have won the match even with an overall sub par performance.

True . Interesting as ever some of the reaction going way over the top from it’s a shoo in for us , to total despair that we’ve bottled it which is crazy . It’s one game ... we were and are a very good side equal to anyone . In this format no one will walk through unscathed . It’s how you grow into it to the pointy end . Morgan is outstanding , the team is honed and knows it’s collective and individual roles and we are still primed to win this with our component parts . One day cricket is on the day though as this again proves and you must be switched on in all disciplines or small margins will tell if one is under par . We still will have many many more on days and rather now than later to have this and see what needs tweaking . Team selection will be interesting as we go ... Plunkett , Wood , Curran in the mix . I’m a big Curran fan for variety as well . And the philosophy of blindly batting second to

Sri Lanka win, as Malinga takes the last wicket, about 2 seconds after I tune in to follow the match. Oh well, back to the Roland Garros* coverage.

*one finger hovering over the mute button in case Inverdale starts jabbering.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

40 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Sri Lanka win, as Malinga takes the last wicket, about 2 seconds after I tune in to follow the match. Oh well, back to the Roland Garros* coverage.

*one finger hovering over the mute button in case Inverdale starts jabbering.

Stick on Eurosport 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Australia are 4 wickets down after 10 overs. :kolobok_cool:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Australia are 4 wickets down after 10 overs. :kolobok_cool:

Extras are doing a decent job keeping the score ticking over at the moment, highest scorer for the Sandpaper boys.

Archived