The 2019 Cricket World Cup Thread

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Mark Ealham . Total rubbish then we churned out . I don’t think there’s a doubt that Morgan has been the most important and impressive figure in English one day cricket ever with what he’s brought 

He's been great I agree.

Looks like my harsh words earlier about Roy have motivated him ...now looking set for a ton....I'm using mind games on him

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

He's been great I agree.

Looks like my harsh words earlier about Roy have motivated him ...now looking set for a ton....I'm using mind games on him

Keep going ...?

I got England in a sweepstake. No wonder Bairstow was out first ball.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Root is a great test cricketer with fine numbers in both format , but I just feel onedayers are outside his comfort zone at times . You can bottle him up easier than the rest and he can get a bit tied up in relative terms with the field in 

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

We’ve just never got going . Good bowling plans mind

Shows how much ODI cricket has changed that 311/8 feels like it's about forty runs light.

England going to have to bowl and field well.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Without doubt the best catch I’ve ever seen . I literally couldn’t believe it and kept saying it must be six !

I don’t think Stokes could believe it looking at his face after. 

England off to a positive start in the world cup. they picked the right side for the conditions, South Africa leaving out David Miller and Chris Morris did not.

Despite England posting only 311 on the Oval wicket, Once Quiton de Kock was out there could be only one winner, For England fans its that wierd feeling of "It does not really matter what you do (SA) we are a better team than you"

Opening with a spinner is not revolutionary ever since the late Martin Crowe opened with Dipak Patel back in the 1992 World cup and is something sides try against Jason Roy ever since he was tied in knots by Samuel Badree in the World T20 final.

Important to win your opening game and gain momentum -There are 9 qualifying matches start 3-0 and you really only have to win 50% of your remaining games to qualify for the semi-Finals. England's last three matches being Australia, India and New Zealand and you would want qualification for the semi-finals to be pretty certain by then.

NB - Rain forecast by the met office for the back end of next week with rain likely to disrupt Australia v West Indies at Nottingham on Thuirsday.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

7 hours ago, DavidM said:

Root is a great test cricketer with fine numbers in both format , but I just feel onedayers are outside his comfort zone at times . You can bottle him up easier than the rest and he can get a bit tied up in relative terms with the field in 

I liked his number on the back of his shirt today (66)....great touch by England cricket ...more of this kind of thing

Just now, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Who needs it when you've got Joffra bowling 90mph thunderbolts.....all bowled from an ambling medium pacers action...super impressed with him

Yeh I was playing 12 there ! ...Archer incredibly exciting. He’s the xfactor you need. He bowled two balls at 94 and I swear he ambled it like he was walking the  dog . He’s took Willeys ODI place and it’s absolutely nailed on someone’s test place is a gonner to 

12 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Yeh I was playing 12 there ! ...Archer incredibly exciting. He’s the xfactor you need. He bowled two balls at 94 and I swear he ambled it like he was walking the  dog . He’s took Willeys ODI place and it’s absolutely nailed on someone’s test place is a gonner to 

Yep...watched it with a cricket mate and we both reckon his run up is slower than ours but bowls nearly twice as fast.....the flexibility of youth!

I think he's there for the ashes too I agree....shades of KP in terms of the situation but who is going to fill the sacrificial Graham Thorpe role?

5 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yep...watched it with a cricket mate and we both reckon his run up is slower than ours but bowls nearly twice as fast.....the flexibility of youth!

I think he's there for the ashes too I agree....shades of KP in terms of the situation but who is going to fill the sacrificial Graham Thorpe role?

Focus will be on the third seamer spot but Wood was outstanding in WI . Broad will need to hit his straps or it could be him , his consistency is not what it was . They like Moeen but a lot of the time recently he’s looked really average . The good thing is every guy knows he has to perform -being pushed is good . 

Pakistan all out for 105 (21.4/50 ov). 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Pakistan all out for 105 (21.4/50 ov). 

Thankfully, I think today was one of the cheaper games or else some people would have been spending a lot of money to watch around 40 overs of very one-sided cricket.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The downside of the way in which cricket has evolved in recent years, with teams whacking the ball around the park, is that it can lead to even more disastrous innings like Pakistan's today (this has also transferred to test matches).

It's also a reason why this tournament is anyone's. You can win all the group games and then have one horror innings in a semi that brings it all crashing down.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Archived