The 2019 Cricket World Cup Thread

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Universe Boss wasn’t happy given out on an umpires call ... he’ll be even angrier when he sees the ball before 

B0C47DFF-AB97-4D5A-9B67-369A2D5AF33E.jpeg

This has been an issue in cricket for a while. Umpires are not calling front foot no balls on a consistent basis. I think someone did a review of a Test match a year or so ago where there were overs where half the deliveries were no balls that weren't called.

When free hits exist there's no excuse for not giving no balls the same scrutiny we have for run outs.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

This has been an issue in cricket for a while. Umpires are not calling front foot no balls on a consistent basis. I think someone did a review of a Test match a year or so ago where there were overs where half the deliveries were no balls that weren't called.

When free hits exist there's no excuse for not giving no balls the same scrutiny we have for run outs.

Yes . To me the third ump sits there in front of a plethora of screens  all day doing hardly anything . They’re in comms with the umpires , why can’t they monitor that line and relay it instantly ? 

When  they get a wkt to check what’s the one thing they get asked ‘ check the no ball ‘ . So the ump is obviously not sure or not watching . If he can do that for wickets he can do it when there isn’t . How many are picked up with wickets ... tells you how many are missed . And in one dayers they’re crucial with free hits , extra balls and runs 

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Yes . To me the third ump sits there in front of a plethora of screens  all day doing hardly anything . They’re in comms with the umpires , why can’t they monitor that line and relay it instantly ? 

When  they get a wkt to check what’s the one thing they get asked ‘ check the no ball ‘ . So the ump is obviously not sure or not watching . If he can do that for wickets he can do it when there isn’t . How many are picked up with wickets ... tells you how many are missed . And in one dayers they’re crucial with free hits , extra balls and runs 

Quite.

I did wonder, for a time, if maybe they weren't calling them so that there couldn't be such a threat from spot fixing. If you're not calling no-balls then a young lad deliberately bowling one isn't going to enrich some Malaysian betting syndicate.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Petrified by the Aussies getting in their faces . Totally unreliable weak and poor here . Every appeal it’s like this guy I’ve never heard of in international cricket dithers then makes a decision like he’s zero confidence in it . Add Gaffneys antics and it’s been a shocker for both

Australia on course and sending out a message today in the World Cup.

England by contrast up against it in Cardiff against a Bangladesh side not short on confidence following the defeat of South Africa and running the kiwis close. England also on the verge of a fatal error going into the game on a slow pitch with short straight boundaries, with an attack formed of four, bang it in the ground, fast medium bowlers with the mooted recall of Liam Plunkett now down on pace. If Adil Rashid is to be excluded, Tom Curran who has upped his pace and does have variations in his bowling is more suited to a slow wicket. The bangla boys will be playing at least three spinners so unless Joe Root is going to bowl 4-5 overs, which is a reasonable punt along, with Moeen Ali the two attacks will contrast sharply. The surprise element for Bangladesh in this world cup is that beforehand amongst the cognoscenti the view was Bangladesh at home was one thing but away from home they would struggle. Their batting line up is vastly improved as are their results away from home. This game screams upset and if there is an increase in sales of toy tigers in Tower Hamlets come Saturday evening, England may be up the proverbial creek without a paddle. Losing to Pakistan means no margin for error in the Qualifiers.

On Jofra Archer. Jofra like KP has a English parent and has not played Under 19 cricket for another country so is better qualified than Jonathan Trott or Keaton Jennings both ex-SA Under 19's to be playing for England. However the real reason for reluctance in picking Jofra is this. The aim going into the world cup was to develop a team in which players not only had a large number of ODI's under their belt but everyone knew their role in the team as part of a a settled side with continuity in selection. A bt like England in 2003-04 developing into the side that beat Australia in the 2005 Ashes Series.

Now does that mean when a prodigy comes along that you don't include him. I tend to take the Austalian view like Steve Waugh that you can never be satisfied with the side you have and must always be striving for improvement. That said Jofra is a novice in International Cricket and in the last game it showed. He could well be a world beater in a couple of years time but maybe not now So personally I would consider leaving him out of the starting XI if pitch conditions favoured fast medium or spin bowlers rather than an out and out quick.

One other thing as mentioned earlier in the thread the big game bottlers tag is back for an England side who, I am told body langauage and behaviour showed they were seriously rattled at Nottingham. It is one thing winning inconseqential bilaterial series and something competely different winning a global tournament. The old knock against England was the side being good front runners but the level of chirp on the field going down significantly in adversity. If they still have a team psychologist he or she should be meeting with a few right now.

Back early Sunday morning from Cardiff with Bangladesh  in Cardiff and the Saints coming to Ealing will sporting cup of woe be overflowing come 5.00pm sunday..

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

2 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

England by contrast up against it in Cardiff against a Bangladesh side not short on confidence following the defeat of South Africa and running the kiwis close. England also on the verge of a fatal error going into the game on a slow pitch with short straight boundaries, with an attack formed of four, bang it in the ground, fast medium bowlers with the mooted recall of Liam Plunkett now down on pace. If Adil Rashid is to be excluded, Tom Curran who has upped his pace and does have variations in his bowling is more suited to a slow wicket. The bangla boys will be playing at least three spinners so unless Joe Root is going to bowl 4-5 overs, which is a reasonable punt along, with Moeen Ali the two attacks will contrast sharply. The surprise element for Bangladesh in this world cup is that beforehand amongst the cognoscenti the view was Bangladesh at home was one thing but away from home they would struggle. Their batting line up is vastly improved as are their results away from home. This game screams upset and if there is an increase in sales of toy tigers in Tower Hamlets come Saturday evening, England may be up the proverbial creek without a paddle. Losing to Pakistan means no margin for error in the Qualifiers.

On Jofra Archer. Jofra like KP has a English parent and has not played Under 19 cricket for another country so is better qualified than Jonathan Trott or Keaton Jennings both ex-SA Under 19's to be playing for England. However the real reason for reluctance in picking Jofra is this. The aim going into the world cup was to develop a team in which players not only had a large number of ODI's under their belt but everyone knew their role in the team as part of a a settled side with continuity in selection. A bt like England in 2003-04 developing into the side that beat Australia in the 2005 Ashes Series.

Now does that mean when a prodigy comes along that you don't include him. I tend to take the Austalian view like Steve Waugh that you can never be satisfied with the side you have and must always be striving for improvement. That said Jofra is a novice in International Cricket and in the last game it showed. He could well be a world beater in a couple of years time but maybe not now So personally I would consider leaving him out of the starting XI if pitch conditions favoured fast medium or spin bowlers rather than an out and out quick.

One other thing as mentioned earlier in the thread the big game bottlers tag is back for an England side who, I am told body langauage and behaviour showed they were seriously rattled at Nottingham. It is one thing winning inconseqential bilaterial series and something competely different winning a global tournament. The old knock against England was the side being good front runners but the level of chirp on the field going down significantly in adversity. If they still have a team psychologist he or she should be meeting with a few right now.

Back early Sunday morning from Cardiff with Bangladesh  in Cardiff and the Saints coming to Ealing will sporting cup of woe be overflowing come 5.00pm sunday..

Sporting cup of woe?

Mate, we’re spanking the Jockesses at 5pm on Sunday so whatever happens elsewhere it won’t be total woe.

I’ve not read this full thread so i apologise if it’s already been mentioned. But you wouldn’t even know there is a cricket WC on at the moment. I’ve don’t have Sky so i haven’t seen any of the live matches, but i was told by a mate that CH4 have the highlights on on a night, so i watched the Pakistan/England game which i enjoyed, and i saw the Afghanistan/Sri Lanka  match. Bloody hell all those extras from both sides. I’ve not a clue how the league system works though.  

I know Cricket is far bigger than RL in this country (which doesn’t take much), but id have thought Terrestrial TV would’ve put in an offer for better highlights. 

Id like Pakistan or India to win the WC, but Pakistan are so unpredictable like Hull FC

12 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Sporting cup of woe?

Mate, we’re spanking the Jockesses at 5pm on Sunday so whatever happens elsewhere it won’t be total woe.

#metoo

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

5 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

#metoo

Typical feminazi. It's only middle-aged white men perving over athletic women in tight shorts you're allowed to be rude about, isn't it? Every other group can say and do what they like.

I'd take another 6-0 over the Scots though. It was very funny last time. I think they might have got a bit better though. I refuse to have any sporting woe though.

19 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

The message being "our top order is rubbish but we have a number 8 who can bat?" They got lucky with umpiring decisions, although I suppose it's the mark of a champion side to win a game like that.

Hope you get to see some play in Cardiff - weather forecast is not looking good.

36 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

It gave me a bit more detail on the inner workings of The Hundred and the research behind it.

I just can't see a team called "Welsh Fire" attracting much support in Taunton or Bristol, which seems to be the hope.

I guess the only thing in its favour is that they do seem to have spent years working out the details and with a marketing budget of £200k per fixture(!) people are fairly likely to have heard of it by the time it starts.

9 minutes ago, JonM said:

I just can't see a team called "Welsh Fire" attracting much support in Taunton or Bristol, which seems to be the hope.

I guess the only thing in its favour is that they do seem to have spent years working out the details and with a marketing budget of £200k per fixture(!) people are fairly likely to have heard of it by the time it starts.

Wow that’s a lot of money - this had better work!

I think I’m with Graham Fowler though when he says that they should have just had a strict over rate or a slightly curtailed T20 effort to fit into 2 hours 30 mins.

Like you I’m unconvinced by the team identities.

It does sounds like drastic action was needed to up participation rates, but I’d have thought the logical conclusion would be to share live T20 blast with the BBC/ITV/CH4 instead of hiding it behind a paywall.

The weather has held off, looks fairly glorious to be fair, and it’s an intriguing battle ahead.

Bangladesh are the undoubted surprise package so far and might fancy their spinners to cause England a few problems this morning.

Bangladesh have won the toss and have chosen to have a bowl.

10 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

The weather has held off, looks fairly glorious to be fair, and it’s an intriguing battle ahead.

Bangladesh are the undoubted surprise package so far and might fancy their spinners to cause England a few problems this morning.

Bangladesh have won the toss and have chosen to have a bowl.

Must say I’m a little worried ! They have several wily tweak merchants and it’s not our strong point handling it . We need to win

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Must say I’m a little worried ! They have several wily tweak merchants and it’s not our strong point handling it . We need to win

England currently 184 for 1, after 29.4 overs.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

17 hours ago, JonM said:

That's true. Hopefully the south western folk will get behind the Southern Brave instead. The team names are a bit naff, in my opinion - Southern Braves, Trent Rockets, Leeds Superchargers. What's that all about?

They should have gone for something a bit more controversial, but more meaningful.

Welsh Sheep Shaggers

Northern Monkeys

Southern Shandies (Shandy Drinkers)

London Snobs

London Cockneys

etc.

Archived