The 2019 Cricket World Cup Thread

Just now, Just Browny said:

The downside of the way in which cricket has evolved in recent years, with teams whacking the ball around the park, is that it can lead to even more disastrous innings like Pakistan's today (this has also transferred to test matches).

It's also a reason why this tournament is anyone's. You can win all the group games and then have one horror innings in a semi that brings it all crashing down.

I know what you’re saying although I’d rather watch ‘crash-bang-wallop’ than Geoffrey Boycott make 35 in a session.

I guess there’s a happy medium to be had though.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

Am I not right in saying that his number is more to do with the song (Route 66), and not the football world cup? 

Correct the player chooses their own number provided it has not been used for the last 2 or 3 years

Alec Stewart had the number 4 so that his shirt always said "Stewart 4 England"

Must say it’s pretty scandalous that Bumble wasn’t even asked to part of the commentary team . He’s the best who’s known all over the place . I know it’s an ICC event with quotas but some of the commentary is pretty sterile and average , jumbling together a pretty disparate group with varying communication skills and quality 

6 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I know what you’re saying although I’d rather watch ‘crash-bang-wallop’ than Geoffrey Boycott make 35 in a session.

I guess there’s a happy medium to be had though.

I wasn't saying it was a bad thing: I agree.

The point I was trying to make is that players are happier to take risks than in the Boycott era, or are forced to. The rewards are greater, but there is an inevitable chance of failure.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Just now, Just Browny said:

I wasn't saying it was a bad thing: I agree.

The point I was trying to make is that players are happier to take risks than in the Boycott era, or are forced to. The rewards are greater, but there is an inevitable chance of failure.

Ah right, sorry, I misunderstood.

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Must say it’s pretty scandalous that Bumble wasn’t even asked to part of the commentary team . He’s the best who’s known all over the place . I know it’s an ICC event with quotas but some of the commentary is pretty sterile and average , jumbling together a pretty disparate group with varying communication skills and quality 

I’m delighted he’s not in. Sounding vaguely confused about the cricket whilst trying to get someone in a funny hat to wave at the camera ... it gets old even during a T20.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

21 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

105 all out.

Although Pakistan have a reputation for starting slow in tournaments this has to be seen as an early victory for the criticised Windies pace attack.

Can’t remember seeing a more inept clueless way of handling the short stuff . Must be tempting to add Wood if he’s fit to Archer and give it both barrels 

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Can’t remember seeing a more inept clueless way of handling the short stuff . Must be tempting to add Wood if he’s fit to Archer and give it both barrels 

They looked poor in the field too and missed chances to take catches that might have made the West Indies run chase less straightforward.

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

This was a massively subscribed tournament for tickets , and they keep making a point of saying so but it’s not always equating visually 

Yep, even with latecomers.

I actually got very lucky in the ballot and got England-Australia tickets for Lords, but have since resold them through the official channels as it clashed with a holiday.

Before then I remember buying tickets for a World Cup knockout match at Headingley in the late 1990s that had the potential to be England-India on paper.  Turned out to be Zimbabwe-New Zealand(!) on a dreary rain interrupted day and was totally one sided lacking any drama.

That put me off for awhile lol! 

9 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

New Zealand living up to their pre-tournament tag as dark horses so far while sadly Sri Lanka are living up to their no-hopers tag.

Sri Lanka 59/5 in the 15th over

I never know why they get this dark horse , underdog tag . They’ve reached three semifinals in a row and are one of the most dangerous , athletic , potent sides who are really well drilled and led with most bases covered . And they play attacking stuff . They’ll be there n thereabouts 

22 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I never know why they get this dark horse , underdog tag . They’ve reached three semifinals in a row and are one of the most dangerous , athletic , potent sides who are really well drilled and led with most bases covered . And they play attacking stuff . They’ll be there n thereabouts 

Yeah I know what you mean although I guess it’s because they’ll always have a smaller player pool to pick from than England, Australia and India.

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

This was a massively subscribed tournament for tickets , and they keep making a point of saying so but it’s not always equating visually 

The ballot was certainly oversubscribed and for a while most games were showing as either sold out or very limited availability.

There are however plenty of tickets for most games now for people who want them. Not necessarily the cheapest but tickets are still on sale.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The ballot was certainly oversubscribed and for a while most games were showing as either sold out or very limited availability.

There are however plenty of tickets for most games now for people who want them. Not necessarily the cheapest but tickets are still on sale.

Cheers for posting that - I’d fallen for the idea that it was all virtually sold out.

Will check out the games at Old Trafford now.

Good that Afghanistan are batting first . If they get a competitive score they’ve got some fine tweak merchants to cause this lot bother , especially the man himself Rashid 

Good job the ICC changed the format to stop one-sided games....

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Apparently Smith and Warner had an ‘ enforced absence ‘ which was harsh and who’ve been through a lot .... And there’s me they were blatant cheats committing a cricketing crime of the lowest nature then denying it like blatant liars until done bang to rights . And they should be never afraid to continually mention it . But there you go. They always came across as a superior odious pair 

Good of Sri Lanka and New Zealand to get things finished in time for the Challenge Cup.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived