The 2019 Cricket World Cup Thread

22 minutes ago, mickhornet said:

England looking  very much favourites.

Looks like we'll be the only team to have scored more than 250 in the first three games ?

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The point of dropping to 10 teams was to have competitive cricket good for TV throughout.

Today is so exciting I’m watching anything but the cricket.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Bangladesh 245-4 after 40.3 overs.

Tahir and Morris gradually trimming the run rate with Tahir picking up a couple of wickets for South Africa.

That said, an important moment now for Bangladesh with Mushfiqur anchoring one end and playing a steady 76 which might allow the end of the middle order throw the bat around a bit.

Just tuned in after the MotoGP finished. Bangladesh have really batted well here and are showing some style too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Graham Thorpe saying England are considering wood to hit Pakistan with both barrels . No brainer for Moeen for me

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’m not keen on chopping and changing a winning side, but we’ll see what happens.

Is this the timber thread?

Very good score by Bangladesh and a decent effort by the last few batsmen ( esp Mahmudullah) to finish well after South Africa seemed be taking control.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

South Africa’s World Cup chances hanging by a thread already.

Lose this and they pretty much have to beat India in 3 days time.

3 hours ago, JonM said:

Lose this and they pretty much have to beat India in 3 days time.

Hashim Amla will be back hopefully.

Definitely missed him today.

I think the last 4 overs won it for Bangladesh. Up to then South Africa were pretty much level by comparison. 

Worst South African team since readmission. The Bangla boys outplayed them in all facets of the game. I like the look of Mushfiqur a fast left armer the likes of which England do not possess. Next Saturday in Cardiff will not be a cakewalk for England. and It's party time in Tower Hamlets tonight.

South Africa 0-2 in the Tournament facing a win or bust scenario against mighty India. Going 0-3 means to quaify for the semi-finals you essentailly have to win all six remaining games -highly unlikey with two against New Zealand and Australia respectively. When you squad includes a 35 year old Injury prone paceman , a 40 year old leg spinner and the ordinary talents of JP Duminy and Rassie Van Der Dussen It's clear that Kolpack defections are beginning to bite in SA Cricket.

Quick note on England, they will probably pick Mark Wood and try to rough up Pakistan in the manner the West Indies did. Three points to note:

Firstly, its the same flat wicket in which England got 481 a year ago with short boundaries. So Methinjks a 300 score lkely first up minimum.

Secondly, Pakistan can play that game too with Wahab Riaz hurling down left arm exocets and Mohammed Amir no doubt smarting over criticism from back home following the West Indies game.

Final Point, Pakistan face a South African style scenariio in going 0-2 down with a loss to England. they are due a win and are the most mercurial team in world cricket going from Bust to Boom in the space of consecutive matches.

Some Pix from today

1 - Ian Bishop Shaun Pollock and the lovely Isha Guha pre-game

2 - The Teams lIne up

3 - Bangladeshi openers steerng it through the slips

4 - Imran Tahir getting cut

5 - and I know you ladies like a bit of De Kock

DSC_0299.JPG

DSC_0307.JPG

DSC_0316.JPG

DSC_0319.JPG

DSC_0331.JPG

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

England have won the toss and put Pakistan in to bat. Wood is in the attack at the expense of Plunkett, as many predicted. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Looks like the other Pakistan turned up today - currently 231 for 3 (37.3 overs).

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived