The 2019 Cricket World Cup Thread

Head on the block time before the tournament starts, whos gonna win

Winner Australia

Final Australia v New Zealand

Losing semi-finalists England and India

A wide open world cup with a lot of upsets due, what I will predict is that no-one fails to win a game and that Afghanistan takes one of the big names. England IMO are on the downslide and this tournament as about 12 months too late for this team

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Afghanistan takes one of the big names.

They've beaten West Indies (twice), Sri Lanka, Bangladesh in the last year and tied with India. Lack of spinning pitches here probably works against them.

Irony loss of the tournament already from Lyon .... English fans are ruthless ,there’s not much love  it’s the same each time Ive been here. Ok chief , plz lose every game and get knocked out 

On 26/05/2019 at 11:51, JonM said:

England v India Final, Australia won't make it out of the group stage.

As I understand it everyone team in the tournament plays each other in the first phase. Then the top four go into the semis. Apart from Afghanistan and possibly Sri Lanka you could make an argument for every team to get to the semis. 

4 hours ago, bobbruce said:

As I understand it everyone team in the tournament plays each other in the first phase. Then the top four go into the semis. Apart from Afghanistan and possibly Sri Lanka you could make an argument for every team to get to the semis. 

Yep. Although I'd probably put West Indies below Afghanistan, the latter have some very good bowlers.

I think the sandpaper boys aren't as good as NZ or SA. Of course, outcome in a single 50-over match can be somewhat random, so almost everyone has some chance of winning it. 

45 minutes ago, JonM said:

Yep. Although I'd probably put West Indies below Afghanistan, the latter have some very good bowlers.

I think the sandpaper boys aren't as good as NZ or SA. Of course, outcome in a single 50-over match can be somewhat random, so almost everyone has some chance of winning it. 

If the Windies have the pick of their IPL players available, they may do all right. Afghanistan's attack may not be at its most effective on English wickets. New Zealand are usually tricky, and SA usually travel better than most international sides.

As for Australia, I'm sure fans of all nations will give Warner a warm welcome. ? 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 26/05/2019 at 16:01, JonM said:

They've beaten West Indies (twice), Sri Lanka, Bangladesh in the last year and tied with India. Lack of spinning pitches here probably works against them.

Despite today's performance at the Oval. Afgahanistan do play England on a used pitch at Old Trafford at which point Mujeeb Ur-Rahman will be in the starting line up and surely Mohammed Nabi will not be coming in at Number 8. I agree they need a slow used pitch to make an impact and that their seam attack looks like it can be hit round the park but if conditions are right as Pakistan found out in the warm up matches. Afganistan can turn you over.

Big call suggesting Australia will not get out of the Group stages,  from 2-0 down to win 3-2 in Indfa, 5-0 over Pakistan in the UAE and 2 wins in warm up games some might say they are peaking at the right time.

Amazed Mark Wood still with the England Squad, he is England's Ryan Harris in that he can just about make 2 games out of 5 if managed properly. I would have gone for David Willey as a replacement. Archer to provide the pace threat. England need a left armer to alter the angle of attack as the rest of the seam bowling is a bit samey. Its a bit early to make the call this year but in future years look out for George Garton down at Sussex, left arm and fast and being watched by the Englansd management?

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

I voted for India.

I think they have the best openers and then Kohli at 3. Assuming one of them will get a big score in each game that matters, then they have a sufficient middle order and all rounders up to 8. They have a varied attack with pace and spin. 

For outsiders South Africa impressed me with their team spirit on tv and Hashim Amla usually plays well in English conditions. 

Probably then England and Australia to make up the semi finalists for me.

19 hours ago, Futtocks said:

If the Windies have the pick of their IPL players available, they may do all right.

They're certainly doing pretty well against NZ today, batsmen scoring boundaries for fun. Not much fun being a bowler when the boundaries are brought in.

Winners: England

Finalists: West Indies

Losing semi finalists: Australia and India

England should triumph with their greatest ever ODI team, Australia look in decent nick and India are strong too.  I think all three should get out the group.  After that you’ve got a little bunch of four in New Zealand, Pakistan, West Indies and South Africa who will all fancy their chances of getting to the knock out stage.  I just think a last hurrah from Chris Gayle will edge it for the Windies.  Out of the rest of the other teams, probably Afghanistan will believe they can cause a few upsets.

Here are some links to kick off a World Cup thread:

Official World Cup website

Fixture list

Guardian predictions

The i guide 

Cricinfo - the best cricket site of all

Apparently England are favourites but have never won it, while Australia have 5 to their name. I'm looking forward to seeing the West Indies as I've always rooted for them, while Afghanistan could provide a shock or two.  

My adopted cricket club here in north Leeds is buzzing with anticipation as we have fans from at least 6 teams involved. The kids are turning up to training in their replica shirts and chatting enthusiastically about it. That's one of the best things about cricket, it brings everyone together.

Can't wait!

Day of the Opening game and some points people should bear in mind

Firstly, the nature of the tournament is a bit like Super League in that the group stages are a placing round so the aim is to get into the top 4 and that means 6/7 wins out of 9. The weather could well play a part with no reserve days scheduled apart from the two Semi-Finals and the Final so sides may end up with a no result in matches they would expect to win. For England that's Bangladesh in Cardiff, Afghanistan in Manchester and what could be a crucial game against New Zealand in Durham. All areas of the country with higher than average rainfall in the summer. Of course once you get into the top 4 then it's whoever plays better on the day. But you have to get their first and I feel it in my bones that someone is going to be dudded by the weather.

Some some words of caution for England, Yest the batting is electric but of the 10 teams in the World Cup the team with the worst economy rate is ...England. Bowlers win matches, even 50 over games. England also have to shake off the big game botlers tag - Champions Trophy Final 2013, World T20 Final 2016 and Champions Trophy Semi-Final 2017. While there is a good record in bilateral series, as in any sport it is not winning the most games but winning the games that count that matters.

Brightening up down here so less of an advantage in winning the toss and bowling first. In the good old days of the Gillette Cup there were compliants about 10.30am starts for TV purposes skewing the match in favour of the bowling side, less of a factor with the flat wickets and a white ball that does not appear to swing to any great degree, nevertheless England prefer to chase and from a South African viewpoint you win the toss and put England in on the basis that you do what your opponent least wants you to do. and you might just be hoping that memories of being England being 20-6 at Lords a couple of years ago linger.

South Africa are for once a side going into the World Cup under the radar. yet on paper your looking at a side containing Quinton de Kock, Hasim Amla, Francoise (Faf) Du Plessis, IPL Million Dollar man Chris Morris, Kigiso Rabada and Imran Tahir. It a stiff ask first drop for England and the result today will go a long way to confirm Englands credentials to win the comp.

George Orwell

If this was RL, there'd be a thread about how the ground is pretty much empty for the start of the world cup, what kind of idiot starts it on Thursday at 10:30 etc etc.

On 26/05/2019 at 11:45, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Head on the block time before the tournament starts, whos gonna win

Winner Australia

Final Australia v New Zealand

Losing semi-finalists England and India

A wide open world cup with a lot of upsets due, what I will predict is that no-one fails to win a game and that Afghanistan takes one of the big names. England IMO are on the downslide and this tournament as about 12 months too late for this team

India to win- we'll call this the Kholi world cup in the future.... Just watched Bairstowe choke and Roy looks shakey- has flashed right in front of his stumps twice and got lucky ...has made me think we may not have the mental strength..... Interested to see how Archer goes- if he fired with bat and ball the I'm hopeful to an extent

3 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Day of the Opening game and some points people should bear in mind

Firstly, the nature of the tournament is a bit like Super League in that the group stages are a placing round so the aim is to get into the top 4 and that means 6/7 wins out of 9. The weather could well play a part with no reserve days scheduled apart from the two Semi-Finals and the Final so sides may end up with a no result in matches they would expect to win. For England that's Bangladesh in Cardiff, Afghanistan in Manchester and what could be a crucial game against New Zealand in Durham. All areas of the country with higher than average rainfall in the summer. Of course once you get into the top 4 then it's whoever plays better on the day. But you have to get their first and I feel it in my bones that someone is going to be dudded by the weather.

Some some words of caution for England, Yest the batting is electric but of the 10 teams in the World Cup the team with the worst economy rate is ...England. Bowlers win matches, even 50 over games.

I think rain might indeed be a factor with those fixtures....did we choose them or is random?

I'm a big fan of Willey being dropped...he reminds me of those 1990s trundlers like Tim Munton or Neil Mallender that we used to pick

20 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I think rain might indeed be a factor with those fixtures....did we choose them or is random?

I'm a big fan of Willey being dropped...he reminds me of those 1990s trundlers like Tim Munton or Neil Mallender that we used to pick

Mark Ealham . Total rubbish then we churned out . I don’t think there’s a doubt that Morgan has been the most important and impressive figure in English one day cricket ever with what he’s brought 

Archived