Jump to content
Wakefield Ram

Toronto (A)

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Robthegasman said:

You are indeed right BSJ and when the central funding which Championship and Championship 1 clubs get  stops at the end of 2021 which is not very far away then sadly I am afraid we will see a few clubs die.

Or 'merge' Rob.


Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's OK they're proposing 16 team championship in 2020, so you might escape you're destiny again, at least for another season 😉

  • Haha 1

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, EQUALIZER said:

The result seems half decent compared to the Sermon On  The Mount.

you are a truly Sad Lad 

🐾


"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" ....Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Piggy's mate said:

It's OK they're proposing 16 team championship in 2020, so you might escape you're destiny again, at least for another season 😉

We havnt finished below you yet and jf that's the best you can do we probably wont.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/06/2019 at 00:37, RobertAM said:

come on..WP dont make the rules they play the game as did the Rams. all you can ask so no joke just effort. where's the shame in that?

Not blaming the wolfpack at all Robert,  they are playing and abiding by the rules. But let's face it,  what have twp brought to the championship?  In my honest opinion nothing at all. It is a team manufactured by very wealthy backers that no part time teams can compete with. And it's not a dig at  you or any of your fans nor the people that run your club. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dog forever said:

Not blaming the wolfpack at all Robert,  they are playing and abiding by the rules. But let's face it,  what have twp brought to the championship?  In my honest opinion nothing at all. It is a team manufactured by very wealthy backers that no part time teams can compete with. And it's not a dig at  you or any of your fans nor the people that run your club. 

I understand the concerns re part time vs full time but that is the path dictated by the powers that be and let's face it every team that plays the Wolfpack seems to step things up a notch and there have been some great games regardless of the score at the end plus you may recall York beating us at Bootham Crescent so it can be done and look at Swinton beating Toulouse at their home pitch. As the saying goes it's not the size of the dog in the fight it's the size of the fight in the dog. And as far as what the Wolfpack bring to the game.how about thousands of new fans top notch marketing which many clubs are mirroring and with Ottawa and perhaps NY coming in you can say WP are the catalyst for expanding RL beyond its original borders to the point where it takes hold as a truly international sport...if you crack North America you can be sure that RL will one day rival and perhaps even surpass the global reach of RU. Within 4-5 years of Ottawa and NY getting going I see another Canadian team likely Montreal and another US team maybe Philadelphia playing in the UK league. If that doesn't do it for you then nothing I say will change your mind. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

I understand the concerns re part time vs full time but that is the path dictated by the powers that be and let's face it every team that plays the Wolfpack seems to step things up a notch and there have been some great games regardless of the score at the end plus you may recall York beating us at Bootham Crescent so it can be done and look at Swinton beating Toulouse at their home pitch. As the saying goes it's not the size of the dog in the fight it's the size of the fight in the dog. And as far as what the Wolfpack bring to the game.how about thousands of new fans top notch marketing which many clubs are mirroring and with Ottawa and perhaps NY coming in you can say WP are the catalyst for expanding RL beyond its original borders to the point where it takes hold as a truly international sport...if you crack North America you can be sure that RL will one day rival and perhaps even surpass the global reach of RU. Within 4-5 years of Ottawa and NY getting going I see another Canadian team likely Montreal and another US team maybe Philadelphia playing in the UK league. If that doesn't do it for you then nothing I say will change your mind. 

 

Aye. And I can remember Fev beating you in Canada. And Dewsbury being unlucky at home this season. It certainly can be done.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RobertAM said:

I understand the concerns re part time vs full time but that is the path dictated by the powers that be and let's face it every team that plays the Wolfpack seems to step things up a notch and there have been some great games regardless of the score at the end plus you may recall York beating us at Bootham Crescent so it can be done and look at Swinton beating Toulouse at their home pitch. As the saying goes it's not the size of the dog in the fight it's the size of the fight in the dog. And as far as what the Wolfpack bring to the game.how about thousands of new fans top notch marketing which many clubs are mirroring and with Ottawa and perhaps NY coming in you can say WP are the catalyst for expanding RL beyond its original borders to the point where it takes hold as a truly international sport...if you crack North America you can be sure that RL will one day rival and perhaps even surpass the global reach of RU. Within 4-5 years of Ottawa and NY getting going I see another Canadian team likely Montreal and another US team maybe Philadelphia playing in the UK league. If that doesn't do it for you then nothing I say will change your mind. 

 

I'm all for expansion rob, but it's all getting a bit silly now with the possibility of even more overseas teams joining the British leagues. If say for sayings sake that twp don't get promoted for the next 2 years and by then we have Ottawa and NY playing in the championship ,, we as a small club couldn't possibly afford to go to those said away grounds in a season. Probably more if we got drawn in a cup competition. We don't have a owner throwing money around, so there could be a distinct possibility that some clubs might have to fold after years of playing rugby.  I really cant see the logic in any of this transatlantic rl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dog forever said:

I'm all for expansion rob, but it's all getting a bit silly now with the possibility of even more overseas teams joining the British leagues. If say for sayings sake that twp don't get promoted for the next 2 years and by then we have Ottawa and NY playing in the championship ,, we as a small club couldn't possibly afford to go to those said away grounds in a season. Probably more if we got drawn in a cup competition. We don't have a owner throwing money around, so there could be a distinct possibility that some clubs might have to fold after years of playing rugby.  I really cant see the logic in any of this transatlantic rl.

When you say that twp has brought thousands of new fans to the game I have never seen these thousands of fans putting there dollars behind our turnstiles . We benefit more financially by playing rochdale. The only money they spend is by watching twp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well you either love it or hate it I suppose but for me the more people exposed to the game the better and people here are really starting to pay attention to it and love seeing the storied UK clubs play here...sure I can appreciate that not many away fans of TWP are showing up at your home grounds but clubs counting on away fans thru the turnstiles may already be in trouble..some of the attendance numbers are shocking to us given that we are getting anywhere between 6500-9500 at our games and if we reach SL we may have to add capacity or go to a bigger stadium.  Why aren't fans turning out in larger numbers? Would merging clubs do the trick both in numbers and financially or is there too much rivalry/history for this to happen? I don't know the answer..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dog forever said:

When you say that twp has brought thousands of new fans to the game I have never seen these thousands of fans putting there dollars behind our turnstiles . We benefit more financially by playing rochdale. The only money they spend is by watching twp.

To be fair to twp and their fans, Toronto city is a much better proposition for a weekend or week away than going to Dewsbury or some of the other heartland clubs. Perhaps the RFL or twp could promote the other attractions/olde worlde heritage available in the north of England to Canadians to make it more attractive for a visit. Is it expensive to get a Canadian passport or flights to the UK from there?


Roger Ram fan club

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Dog forever said:

Not blaming the wolfpack at all Robert,  they are playing and abiding by the rules. But let's face it,  what have twp brought to the championship?  In my honest opinion nothing at all. It is a team manufactured by very wealthy backers that no part time teams can compete with. And it's not a dig at  you or any of your fans nor the people that run your club. 

OK then, just to turn this on its head: other than managing to continue in existence, what tangible benefits have either Batley or Dewsbury brought to the Championship that Toronto hasn't? Be specific please.

  • Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

OK then, just to turn this on its head: other than managing to continue in existence, what tangible benefits have either Batley or Dewsbury brought to the Championship that Toronto hasn't? Be specific please.

we take 2,000 plus to the Tea Bag......TWP take about 11

  • Like 2

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" ....Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, callmedave said:

To be fair to twp and their fans, Toronto city is a much better proposition for a weekend or week away than going to Dewsbury or some of the other heartland clubs. Perhaps the RFL or twp could promote the other attractions/olde worlde heritage available in the north of England to Canadians to make it more attractive for a visit. Is it expensive to get a Canadian passport or flights to the UK from there?

Crikey callmedave we are talking about the future of rl clubs and the finances and not about booking your jollys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

OK then, just to turn this on its head: other than managing to continue in existence, what tangible benefits have either Batley or Dewsbury brought to the Championship that Toronto hasn't? Be specific please.

My gripe isn't about who's brought what to the game, it's about how it's getting silly with rich backers pumping money into clubs giving most clubs no chance of competing. It's ok saying dews nearly won them and others have pushed them close.  Looking at the league table tells it's own story. The rams are no better of than the dogs that is why we are where we are in the league. It is no longer a level playing field. If you prefer it that way bsj that's your prerogative. How much money do you think it would cost the rams In one season to go play in Toronto, Toulouse, NY and Ottawa providing they are all in our league which is a possibility. I know it would cripple most part time teams and could certainly put them into liquidation. So if this is what expantion is all about you can keep it for me. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RPH said:

we take 2,000 plus to the Tea Bag......TWP take about 11

And how many of your imaginary friends does that 2000 include?

  • Haha 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

And how many of your imaginary friends does that 2000 include?

 

4 hours ago, RPH said:

we take 2,000 plus to the Tea Bag......TWP take about 11

Soon...in a few years...it will be "TWP take about 11 000".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dog forever said:

My gripe isn't about who's brought what to the game, it's about how it's getting silly with rich backers pumping money into clubs giving most clubs no chance of competing. It's ok saying dews nearly won them and others have pushed them close.  Looking at the league table tells it's own story. The rams are no better of than the dogs that is why we are where we are in the league. It is no longer a level playing field. If you prefer it that way bsj that's your prerogative. How much money do you think it would cost the rams In one season to go play in Toronto, Toulouse, NY and Ottawa providing they are all in our league which is a possibility. I know it would cripple most part time teams and could certainly put them into liquidation. So if this is what expantion is all about you can keep it for me. 

You are very black and white in your opinions DF. Don't you think that there is possibly a more nuanced way forward than either "that lot in" or "that lot out"?

Given a prospect of no new clubs into the future, which you clearly prefer, and 'heartland' clubs stagnating what do you see as your preferred option for the future of clubs such as ours?


Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s not all about booking jollies but twp are probably doing more to promote the overall game, including our teams, to a wider audience than the Super duper league are doing for any of us non-supers here in this country because that is nonexistent.

  • Like 2

Roger Ram fan club

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Kayakman said:

 

Soon...in a few years...it will be "TWP take about 11 000".

you keep printing them  free beer tokens fella.:kolobok_popcorm1:  suns out today.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

You are very black and white in your opinions DF. Don't you think that there is possibly a more nuanced way forward than either "that lot in" or "that lot out"?

Given a prospect of no new clubs into the future, which you clearly prefer, and 'heartland' clubs stagnating what do you see as your preferred option for the future of clubs such as ours?

I cant see much of a future bsj.  Batley and dewsbury will still probably be trading on a shoestring, whilst you seem to relish the prospect of overseas integration.  Any decent players that lower placed club bring through their ranks will get whisked off to these teams with money to burn. I genuinely do feel that it is of no benefit whatsoever to have these international rl teams in the leagues that we have in our country. Wouldn't you rather watch a match against say fev that would bring more cash flow to your club, or watch them play Toronto with probably 12 fans all trying to howl like wolves. I know which I would pick bsj. Look forward to reading your reaction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Dog forever said:

I cant see much of a future bsj.  Batley and dewsbury will still probably be trading on a shoestring, whilst you seem to relish the prospect of overseas integration.  Any decent players that lower placed club bring through their ranks will get whisked off to these teams with money to burn. I genuinely do feel that it is of no benefit whatsoever to have these international rl teams in the leagues that we have in our country. Wouldn't you rather watch a match against say fev that would bring more cash flow to your club, or watch them play Toronto with probably 12 fans all trying to howl like wolves. I know which I would pick bsj. Look forward to reading your reaction.

The thing is though...those new teams are your future also....there has to be a way to spread the wealth around (e.g. TV contract), promotion, etc.  That way you can bring more folks into the stands.

Something had to be done and no one is saying it is perfect...but keeping things the same, like you seem to promote, is a recipe and path to sure death....the times...they are a changin.

This way you have a chance and to be honest, i think it is all going to work out for you guys in the end, but hard decisions have to made and accepted.

I look forward to your well thought out reply to Dog forevers comment also Blindsider.

Edited by Kayakman
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...