Match Thread: Batley Bulldogs v Featherstone Rovers Sunday September 1st 2019

After a weekend off thought it was worth getting this thread started early.

As disappointing as the York defeat was, that has to be put behind us because the equation is simple - win this weekend and we're in the top 5. Lose, and in our final game we will need to beat a Toulouse team who themselves will have plenty to play for as they strive to wrap up second place.

The extra week off will hopefully have come at a handy time for us, Cam King looked like he could benefit from some time for his ankle to heal and our middles had to get through a ton of work on a hot day at York.

We know there will be at least one change in the 19-man squad from York with Teteh gone, maybe Ormondroyd will get a call up. He has never really played big minutes under Carr but I thought he went ok for much of the season and a few of our other middles (with the notable exception of Lockwood and Harrison) aren't the types to play long stints either. That said, Teteh was a centre and we have Spedding waiting in the wings, so maybe he will get a call-up to the 19.

Hard to predict what to expect from Batley in the aftermath of the tragic incident in France, whether they will be fired up or downbeat it's hard to say. They don't have much left to play for and I think two of their better forwards in Manning and Brown are both suspended.

I think if we make the top 5, the season can be judged a success, certainly based on how things looked in December/January, so let's hope we can get the job done on Sunday.

Can't see us catching you out at our place this Sunday. We have been unremarkable this season and other than beating Dewsbury 3 times would have been relegation fodder.

Dogs 6 - Fev 38

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

29 minutes ago, Piggy's mate said:

Can't see us catching you out at our place this Sunday. We have been unremarkable this season and other than beating Dewsbury 3 times would have been relegation fodder.

Dogs 6 - Fev 38

I dont think anyone underestimates Batley especially at Batley whatever league positions and past results. Fev will need to be at their best for this one. We escaped out of jail at Dewsbury and were well beaten by them at Post Office Road. Should be a good crowd Piggy at one of my favourite venues

My favourite away fixture Sunday,Batley are a credit to the Championship the way they have improved the ground over the years and live within their means financially.Weather set to be cooler and below average for time of year so it should be better for both sets of players.A match we have to WIN because although i think we are capable of beating Toulouse at home in our last game it would put pressure on our players in a must win game.Our young un has fallen out with the game but i will try to get him there on Sunday even if i have to offer to pay him in.

Unfortunately with the enforced changes they will have to make I think we will win easily. It is not a MOUNTain to climb. If we don't win then we don't deserve to  be in the top 5.

55 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

Unfortunately with the enforced changes they will have to make I think we will win easily. It is not a MOUNTain to climb. If we don't win then we don't deserve to  be in the top 5.

i know we couldent even muster up a few trys to get us to wembly as the prize, so doubt you will have a lot to do and we may need 30 start. but i hope we play like they did fax game for bev and dont let that > easy you mention ring in our ears.  cant wait, bring it on. UP THE DOGGIES.:kolobok_popcorm1:

13 hours ago, silverback said:

i know we couldent even muster up a few trys to get us to wembly as the prize, so doubt you will have a lot to do and we may need 30 start. but i hope we play like they did fax game for bev and dont let that > easy you mention ring in our ears.  cant wait, bring it on. UP THE DOGGIES.:kolobok_popcorm1:

I wasn't belittling Batley I was just taking in to account the number of players you have missing . We have always had a good relationship with Batley and I was one of the few that did the charity walk from Fev to Batley a few years age and we were made vey welcome. UTR.

14 hours ago, silverback said:

It will be far from easy Silverback with whats at stake. Ive watched Fev since 1963 and many a time Ive walked out of the ground thinking "what the hell happened there". Also Ive walked out of grounds feeling ten feet tall. Thats Rugby League for ya.

5 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

One change to the 19-man squad with Ormondroyd replacing the departed Teteh.

Just a question of whether Hardcastle or Ormondroyd get a game, otherwise looks like the same 17 as at York.

Yes. The 19 picks itself.

FWIW I would play Josh,  and probably Jack as well. Johnson or Render to miss out and Carey to the wing.  Up front a few forwards are not putting in big minutes and one of them can rest.

It looks like this is the squad we have for the playoffs, assuming Golding, Sutcliffe, McLelland, Albert and perhaps Briscoe are all available.

I imagine we will not see Jake Spedding this year.

Bradford play Rochdale as their last game, so we need at least a draw from our 2 games if Sheffield lose at Bradford.

Lets just forget permutations and win on Sunday.

Well done Fev you have exceeded my expectations in reaching the top five.If we remember before the season started we had no Coach and a small number of players signed up so a double thumbs up especially to MC for having the insight to hiring an un proven coach in Ryan and recruiting good players.Everything from now on is a bonus,UTR

A very one-sided game and it must have been tough for everyone at Batley, they must have all been feeling very subdued after what happened to Archie Bruce.

We got the job done in efficient style and Chisholm looked back to his best, though playing behind a dominant pack against a hesitant defence clearly was a major factor.

Good to see Connor Jones get a reasonable run out too.

Top 5 virtually sealed and that's a decent achievement, and it leaves something to play for next week.

29 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

A very one-sided game and it must have been tough for everyone at Batley, they must have all been feeling very subdued after what happened to Archie Bruce.

We got the job done in efficient style and Chisholm looked back to his best, though playing behind a dominant pack against a hesitant defence clearly was a major factor.

Good to see Connor Jones get a reasonable run out too.

Top 5 virtually sealed and that's a decent achievement, and it leaves something to play for next week.

Think it is sealed looking at the Table as we're 3 pts in front of Bradford with 1 to play. 4th still a distinct possibility and a decent chance of a final table of TWP, York, TO, Fev. Leigh

Almost faultless 80min from Chissy who played his socks off.Locky ran stronger than he has done all season and fully deserved his try.As Blue Pike posts objective of top 5 achieved and the pressure off for the game against Toulouse next week, lets hope the lads finish the regular season in style in front of their own supporters.Batley competed well for twenty minutes but have come through a tragic time with the best wishes and thoughts of all true R.L. supporters.

2 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Think it is sealed looking at the Table as we're 3 pts in front of Bradford with 1 to play. 4th still a distinct possibility.

true if we beat to and leigh lose to twp it's 36 apiece  with better p diff 

Agreed. You can only play whats in front of you , and certainly Batley were not at the races understandingly., they just need to play out their last game and hope to pick up in the new year.

Back to Rovers, job done , and looking at the table with Leigh at Toronto and us playing Toulouse , and with a much better points difference, we could get 4th and a home draw. Happy days

12 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Think it is sealed looking at the Table as we're 3 pts in front of Bradford with 1 to play. 4th still a distinct possibility and a decent chance of a final table of TWP, York, TO, Fev. Leigh

Yep I forgot Sheffield lost. Players will hopefully be sniffing a home playoff game if we beat Toulouse. Wonder if it will be the Ourleague live game?

Archived