The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

6 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Rimmer should walk over this, what research was done before making a fool of the sport and himself

Consultation with the 25 clubs to assess their preferences. A majority supported a short form tournament with crowds if resumed leagues with crowds weren't possible. The RFL are simply following the wishes of most clubs. Had they got a bigger prize pot clubs may have been more keen on it. If Rimmer has to go he would have to take a lot of club boards with him as their advice led to this proposal.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

I didn't say a tad vulnerable, I said very vulnerable, the 'swagger' has gone from his posts Tommy.

I will miss him though.

OK HARRY THATS IT!

SO HERE IS MY PROPOSITION.

The long range wind forecast has presented a window to me and I'm going out into the Bush solo for for about 9 days (no cell contact) on a paddle about.   I won't know anything that happened until I get back.....I want your prediction on,

1.  The entire Toronto situation at that time-if a SL Announcement what will it state?  In or out?  Why?-your prediction must encompass the whole shebang.

2.  What of the League1/Championship-tournament on or off-  Who is in or out?  RFL Announcement ?   What will it say, etc.?  Other surprise announcements?

3.  Beaumont: -developments.

I'll read it when I get back and provide further comment then.

THATS IT HARRY!!!!!!!  I'M CALLING YOU OUT!!!!! 

Now remember I'm around to about Wednesday so think it over.  Lets see what ya got.

1 hour ago, wiganermike said:

Rochdale, Halifax, Sheffield, Touolouse, Keighley so far. London Broncos and York are expected to follow soon. Only Batley are reported to have shown a possible leaning towards competing in it.

York has now made it official. So disappointed for these clubs and their fans, as any prospects for the season just fade away. Tough decision but no doubt the right decision. Who could expect a club to play with the absolute certainty that costs would greatly outweigh any rewards.

Featherstone's out too. Player welfare, cup's been compromised, and SL teams in the comp are already training.

I guess Featherstone will be withdrawing its offer to replace Wolfpack in Super League for the rest of the season.

2 minutes ago, Loup said:

Featherstone's out too. Player welfare, cup's been compromised, and SL teams in the comp are already training.

I guess Featherstone will be withdrawing its offer to replace Wolfpack in Super League for the rest of the season.

Newcastle have opted out as well so that's 8 clubs not entering. 17 left to declare their intent.

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

Rimmer should walk over this, what research was done before making a fool of the sport and himself

Totally agree, how anyone with an ounce of business acumen or even common sense thought this was viable without any  consultation is beyond me.

Him and the rest of the RFL are bringing the game into disrepute, shambolic , embarrassing mess.

16 minutes ago, Loup said:

well just replace them in the RFL for the next hundred years 

7 minutes ago, snoopdog said:

Totally agree, how anyone with an ounce of business acumen or even common sense thought this was viable without any  consultation is beyond me.

Him and the rest of the RFL are bringing the game into disrepute, shambolic , embarrassing mess.

There was consultation, referenced in statements by the RFL prior to any decision being made. They consulted with the clubs which suggested a majority of clubs were in support of such a competition should the normal leagues resuming with crowds not be possible. Suggesting the competition take place was in line with the results of that consultation. That clubs have since changed their minds on the matter for legitimate and sensible reasons is not a reason for anyone to lose their job.

Just now, wiganermike said:

That clubs have since changed their minds on the matter for legitimate and sensible reasons is not a reason for anyone to lose their job.

Or their club.

3 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

There was consultation, referenced in statements by the RFL prior to any decision being made. They consulted with the clubs which suggested a majority of clubs were in support of such a competition should the normal leagues resuming with crowds not be possible. Suggesting the competition take place was in line with the results of that consultation. That clubs have since changed their minds on the matter for legitimate and sensible reasons is not a reason for anyone to lose their job.

If that's the case it makes even worse!!  Where's the authority, gurantees and respect for the chief executive and the RFL , which other sport would set up a competition without any gurantees that it would be a meaningful and financially viable proposition?

I will answer that NONE whatsoever, the game is a laughing stock.

10 minutes ago, snoopdog said:

If that's the case it makes even worse!!  Where's the authority, gurantees and respect for the chief executive and the RFL , which other sport would set up a competition without any gurantees that it would be a meaningful and financially viable proposition?

They haven’t set up the competition. Do you enjoy seeing RL fail though btw?

44 minutes ago, snoopdog said:

So you would prefer multiple clubs to enter the competition and fold as a result due to being unable to cover their costs simply to save face and not appear disrespectful to the RFL? In what world would that be a better outcome?

If the wiser course is for all 25 to decline and increase their chances of riding out the financial impact of this pandemic then that is what should happen. It would be much better PR to say in 12/18 months time or whenever this ends that we as a sport have ridden through to the other side with all of those clubs there at the start still with us at the end.

5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I would absolutely love them to team up at Leigh, it almost happened once I believe.

That would really Pi$$ off a lot of people wouldn't it.

Notably Koukash and Beaumont.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

10 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Mr Rimmer is obviously portraying a lack of those qualities, if as has been reported he is championing a club and owner knee dip in the dippy do's.

Reported where Harry - link please?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Yes off course, good mates had family holidays together both got a few bob to burn, as a Leigh lad why would I not want that johnny.

Have you ever run a business with "mates" Harry?

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

But aren't we told that investing in RL should not be treated as a buisness venture, more a labour of love.

Except if you're an expansion club.

Archived