The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

6 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Blind Freddy might be interested to know that the broadcaster (only really one in the game at present) has no broadcasting rights in either Canada or France.

Jam tomorrow is never a great option, unless you are a politician.

You`ve got to think big, you have got to be positive, you have to have ago, no excuses.

There is a thing called on-selling, broadcasters use it all the time.

Alternatively there is a thing called broadcast partnerships.

You have got to think big.....

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So North American pro sports (NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS) have moved mountains and spent buckets of cash to resume (or start) their seasons in the time of covid-19. Four days into the delayed baseball season, the Miami Marlins have had a dozen players test positive for the virus, apparently to do with using a dressing room that had been previously occupied by another team. As a result, Marlins games are postponed for "three days or until safe" and two other teams have cancelled their next game.

Maybe rugby league will fare better, maybe not. But the chances of the season going belly up are high. Consternation over the Wolfpack might be the least of SL's worries.

40 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

The stadium move is intended to be a long term one I believe to allow them to have a SL ready stadium should they achieve promotion.

I guessed that you were basing the player score on the relative squad strengths but I would imagine that if a panel were choosing a 12th club that the active academies would raise the scores of the others I mentioned. Similarly Fev may get marked down due to their DR arrangement (though I don't know how much they rely on it rather than their own squad without DR).

I do think it's slightly unfair to effectively mark London down twice for their crowds though. While true that the crowds may affect sustainability without David Hughes' money the same argument of reliance on the owner could be made against most clubs at all levels. Leigh had their own wobble not too long ago when DB was considering his involvement.

If a club is not allowed or funded to run a cat 1academy it can hardly be judged against one who is.

if you selected a 12 now a few in wouldn’t be for much longer

8 minutes ago, SL17 said:

It’s a better answer than your premise.

Mate you're the one who came up with very specific hoops designed so each of your rival clubs, Fev, London and Toulouse, couldn't go up so as to leave your own club as the only option. All whilst somewhat hilariously forgetting that your own club falls foul of your barometers unless you started tinkering.

FWIW in the case of Toronto not being in Super League next year and the remaining 11 clubs voting on a replacement I think Leigh make a very good case. I also think Toulouse and London make better ones.

24 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Mate the rules are quite clearly defined  and will be endorsed by!the RFL.. Toronto will not be in SL. Let’s move on.

Edit: Would you put the demise of Toronto down to Leigh?

Being the only club who supported them!

Thats a rather bold claim to make now. I don't think the rules are defined at all and even if they were a little global pandemic probably has changed the playing field regarding the rules.

No of course I wouldn't, that would be stupid.

I know some have said that having Toulouse will increase the chance of a French TV deal but is that yet more hope? Still think that if SL wants a 12 club league next year (which means the pot split 12 ways, not 11) then it needs to be decided on the field of play, a qualifying tournament played between those teams both wanting a place in SL and willing to play this fall, with one requirement, NO dual reg players allowed.

1 hour ago, SL17 said:

Mate the rules are quite clearly defined  and will be endorsed by!the RFL.. Toronto will not be in SL. Let’s move on.

I didn't think they had announced that...I would be very surprised if they did with all the pressure now being put on them by Sky to keep Toronto in....where did you read this?

58 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Thats a rather bold claim to make now. I don't think the rules are defined at all and even if they were a little global pandemic probably has changed the playing field regarding the rules.

No of course I wouldn't, that would be stupid.

I blame all TWP's troubles on Leigh. They are positively diabolical and have been plotting TWP's downfall ever since Argyle spurned them. Diabolical I tell you!

7 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I didn't think they had announced that...I would be very surprised if they did with all the pressure now being put on them by Sky to keep Toronto in....where did you read this?

What pressure is Sky putting on them to keep Toronto in?

1 minute ago, SL17 said:

The rules have to be followed..

Rules are made to be broken...everyday you can find people/organizations which don't follow the rules....don't be so naive.

2 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

What pressure is Sky putting on them to keep Toronto in?

OOpps.

9 hours ago, Spidey said:

Nope it was a one time 5 minute analysis. What you see is what you get 😜

Can you also include baby changing facilities as I’m not sure we can do a club comparison and leave that off. 

15 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Even that would still indicate 61% support keeping them in some fashion

That is exactly the same as Euro Remainer Lisa Nandy's (Wigan MP) statement when she voted in Parliament against her constituents, she was confronted with the question "The referendum in your constituency voted by 63% to leave Europe why not Champion their cause" she replied but 37% didn't.

A career as a Spin Doctor awaits you Tommy, go for it.

14 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Other than a few of the bigger SL clubs, which clubs over there can afford to pay their own way over?

This,

As I already stated the difference that Mr Argyle's suggestion of Toronto receiving funding and the clubs paying their own travel and accomodation cost is approx 300K. Good luck with that Mr A. 

14 hours ago, Big Picture said:

I am well aware that he can't, because no one could afford it for long having to operate under those onerous terms.

Then the equation is very simple, No Funding = no Toronto Wolfpack.

Irrespective of which division they play in, it could not be expected of L1 and Championship clubs to pay to go to Canada would it? And the funding they would recieve in those divisions are negligible compared to requirement.

34 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

That is exactly the same as Euro Remainer Lisa Nandy's (Wigan MP) statement when she voted in Parliament against her constituents, she was confronted with the question "The referendum in your constituency voted by 63% to leave Europe why not Champion their cause" she replied but 37% didn't.

A career as a Spin Doctor awaits you Tommy, go for it.

Well H its the exact opposite of that (almost to the precise numbers) but ho hum.

9 hours ago, wiganermike said:

Toulouse have moved grounds. As someone (can't remember who) posted they now play at the Ernest Wallon the RU club's stadium.

I know Bradford are mid table Championship but considering they have a fully functioning academy system how are they lower than Leigh on the player score? Likewise London (though they are regular promotion contenders) and Widnes, all three have produced players recently that are now in SL and are capable of producing players for themselves and the wider pro/semi pro game. The player score would surely consider more than the men in the first team squad. Also how is London's money man less valued than Leigh's? He supported a SL squad for longer than DB has.

Where is the minus box for points deducted for recently going bust ?

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

14 hours ago, CanadianRugger said:

Amen and genuinely surprised @Spidey  thinks Widnes and Leigh have a better stadium than Toulouse Olympique now that they are playing at Ernest-Wallon? 

Leigh does have a nice stadium but Ernest-Wallon most definitely has better facilities than either Stadium.  Conference Centre, Large Restaurant, Huge Fitness Facility, multiple practice pitches, far larger capacity.  The only thing it has against it is relative age but Stade Toulouse have kept it up to date.

Obviously you have never been to Leigh Sports Village,  it is much much more than just a very adequate stadium.

Archived