The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

That tweet is nonsense, and far more biased than anything we have seen from the report. 

It's like US politics, people are just in their camps and blindly making points that support their conclusion. 

The graph is fine in making the point that TWP were in a market with no RL demand and geographically far. I'm not sure why it is so controversial, it is a visual aid, not particularly scientific and rather basic, but it is perfectly fine. 

Edit to add: It is making the point that expansion investment happens where there is either demand, or geographical creep. This follows neither of those approaches. The better way of challenging this would be to show other examples like TWP - they can't. Instead they try and claim RU and RL is the same in Toronto. 

It conveniently overlooked the examples of Super Rugby and Pro14 (to say nothing of the Champions League, UEFA League, Heineken Cup and Copa Libertadores) which are also geographically very spread out to make it appear that TWP in RL was a unique one-off situation.  A more honest approach for them would be to admit that they simply can't afford to support an initiative like TWP in the manner needed (i.e. giving them a share of the central distribution) to make it viable.

Edited by Big Picture
  • Like 4

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am devastated by todays decision.Obviously I think its wrong but I think it shows the narrow minded thinking of most super league clubs.I very much doubt the Wolfpack will ever be back as I don't se

Rugby League as a sport - fans, owners, administrators, the lot - gets what it deserves. There was an opportunity here, an owner who's spent £10m, a growing fanbase and a very attractive market,

To avoid the forum being swamped with dozens of individual threads about Toronto which generally all end up heading down the same rabbit hole eventually anyway, we're opening this general discussion t

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

It conveniently overlooked the examples of Super Rugby and Pro14 which are also geographically very spread out to make it appear that TWP in RL was a unique one-off situation.  A more honest approach for them would be to admit that they simply can't afford to support an initiative like TWP in the manner needed (i.e. giving them a share of the central distribution) to make it viable.

Feel free to plot those examples on the graph. None will be anywhere near the top right where TWP rightly sit. Pro14 have clubs from areas with substantial RU grounding and/or a natural geographical spread.

As I have said many times, I don't think the conclusion they arrived at was right, but there is nothing wrong in this point.

2 hours ago, Oxford said:

If TWP become a Kick&clap unit how will the Quincy's on the forum conduct the post mortum? And even more become a success?

That isn't likely to happen.  Other than MLR there's no RU league available over here for them to play in and they've already awarded a Toronto franchise to the Arrows; if MLR franchises come with comparable rights to those in other North American leagues the Arrows would have been given exclusive rights to be the sole operator of an MLR franchise in the entire Greater Toronto Area so they could demand compensation from the league allowing anyone else to infringe on those rights.

How long MLR will survive is open to question too.  Their revenues have been so poor that they've been having to use the money paid for expansion franchises for operating expenses and they can't keep doing that for long.

Edited by Big Picture
2 hours ago, Big Picture said:

That isn't likely to happen.

But not impossible and it was more a question of how we'd feel if it happened again?

trayodasha-kula = image.png.ee0bb2be98badfd4cc6ff4395bca5f4e.png

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

If you have a look on twitter there's this account which seems to have access to most of it

That isn't half a complete hatchet job. Seriously if any student did a report like this at degree or masters level it would be torn to shreds. It really is terrible and has no credibility.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Damien said:

That isn't half a complete hatchet job. Seriously if any student did a report like this at degree or masters level it would be torn to shreds. It really is terrible and has no credibility.

It would have been far easier if they dropped the pretence of the report as an independent investigation and played it as an open support for their position.

That the people running the league can have such a negative view of any club should be worrying indeed when it seems they can force clubs to change badges etc. Who's next is the obvious question.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It would have been far easier if they dropped the pretence of the report as an independent investigation and played it as an open support for their position.

That the people running the league can have such a negative view of any club should be worrying indeed when it seems they can force clubs to change badges etc. Who's next is the obvious question.

The Air Transat deal was fantastic. The largest value deal that Super League has seen. Whether that is in kind or not doesn't matter. Judging by this report they would have been better off with a cash deal worth half as much that would have cost them far more money. Its absurd.

Yes I know it was no Papa Johns but come on.....

• Like 1
Just now, Damien said:

The Air Transat deal was fantastic. The largest value deal that Super League has seen. Whether that is in kind or not doesn't matter. Judging by this report they would have been better off with a cash deal worth half as much that would have cost them far more money. Its absurd.

Yes I know it was no Papa Johns but come on.....

Its the hypocrisy and one-eyedness that does it for me, alongside blatant inaccuracies (a new favourite one was getting the foundation of Canada RU wrong). Like I said they should have dropped the pretence they were doing an impartial report and simply stated the position that has been obvious since around the qualifiers in 2018.

• Like 3

wonder if Elstone's crack team of investigators are being primed for another go if Catalans cannot make it to the starting gate in 2021...get Google up on the laptops..tip - France is on the other side of the ditch...

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

I wasn't going to post here again but will make an exception for this:

I would be interested in committing money to a fund to help the players out, or at the very least give them something positive going in to the holidays. 

I also believe I could leverage the wider Canadian Rugby Community for some funding as well. 

Would anyone know how I could get in touch with someone at the RFL to help the players out?  

3 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

I wasn't going to post here again but will make an exception for this:

I would be interested in committing money to a fund to help the players out, or at the very least give them something positive going in to the holidays. 

I also believe I could leverage the wider Canadian Rugby Community for some funding as well. 

Would anyone know how I could get in touch with someone at the RFL to help the players out?  

There's a go fund me page for that precisely 

Best of luck

36 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

There's a go fund me page for that precisely 

Best of luck

Disappointed it's through a Gofundme mostly because I would like a large donation to be tax deductible but oh well.  

Thanks, going to flip some cash the lads way as they def need it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Good that David Argyle is being pursued...

Agreed, and it looks like something will be forthcoming which is positive. It appears his 'bond' was actually in the form of personal guarantees, which of course is difficult to enforce when tied up with illiquid assets

On 13/11/2020 at 12:08, Oxford said:

If TWP become a Kick&clap unit how will the Quincy's on the forum conduct the post mortum? And even more become a success?

Sounds like an option until the 9000 TWP sit down to watch and cant understand why the players keep kicking the ball off the pitch and why they just keep rolling around on the ground.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Sounds like an option until the 9000 TWP sit down to watch and cant understand why the players keep kicking the ball off the pitch and why they just keep rolling around on the ground.🤣

I'm starting a book on this being the post that sent TWP to the cross code zone or gets it locked!

trayodasha-kula = image.png.ee0bb2be98badfd4cc6ff4395bca5f4e.png