V Leigh

NickD

I must concur with the above summaries. We held our own in the first half, but the signs were there and in the second half it was noticeable how quickly Leigh went through the the gears, whereas we only managed to reach halfway on occasions. 
I felt that we didn’t deserve to be hit by the last try. 

I was pleased with our forwards and the defence (mostly), but our attack needs some further work. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Thought we played well overall. Leigh have spent the money and it showed. If we play like that then we will do better than last season. 

You will be surprised how little we have spent.

We had a fair bit left over last season after budgets were set at 1800 gates, actual 3000+ which meant we only released season tickets a week before Xmas.

We will have a couple of Big names in come play offs should we get there, we will certainly be giving it our best shot this season.

We withstood huge spells on our line tonight against a Dewsbury team who had very high completion and possession but lacked a bit of pace in the halves imo. Your team looks solid and gets stuck in but you need some Zip to rack the points up

Travelled over with my daughter for het first visit to your ground. I thought the first half was yours and with a bit more luck and composure near the line and the score would have been closer.

The ref had a bit of a shocker and stopped the flow of the game but over all happy with the result and our second half performance. 

Thanks for a friendly welcome and a great evening of rugby . All the best for the coming season.?

8 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Dewsbury team who had very high completion and possession but lacked a bit of pace in the halves imo. Your team looks solid and gets stuck in but you need some Zip to rack the points up

Zip near the line is defo our problem. We were camped on your line at times yet struggled to break through.  Think we’ll do better against lesser teams but still an Achilles heel of ours. 
Thought our kicking game was much better last night though.  Forced several drop outs. 
Onward  and upwards and next week will really tell us where we are. 

Not a bad effort against what looked like a top 3 side to me. The pack worked hard especially the back 3 who played the full 80 minutes and never stopped tackling.  Sykes and Finn looked more comfortable together and kicked well and Ryder looks sent for a big season.

The down sides for me was the lack of ball Fleming and Oates saw , but its early days and Leigh defended very well out wide and why did we have a winger on the bench ?...surly Knowles or Morris would have given us more impact, especially in the second half when our legs started to go.

Onwards to Swinton and hopefully win number 1.

Thought we played well and looked committed against a v good Leigh side.

Like others have said we didn’t look to have a anyone capable of running the ball in the halves which is making our attack a bit predictable.

I don’t think I’ve seen Finn run the ball once since he’s returned to the club and Sykes as effective as he is in other departments doesn’t run the ball often.

Would of been better to have option of Punchard on the bench rather than a winger IMO.

Will be interesting to see if one of halves from Hull KR turn up on DR and at what stage.

rambo.gif

13 minutes ago, Ramboy said:

why did we have a winger on the bench ?...surly Knowles or Morris would have given us more impact

Good spot. Hadn’t realised.  Wouldn’t have changed the result but  Very very odd.  Knowles would have been far better option as would Punchard, though I don’t see him getting a game at all.  A certain  number 7 seems pretty safe 

Just like others I was pleased with our showing last night and I'd say the final score was a little flattering to Leigh. It would have been nice to see us get over the line in the second half but their defence was just too good. Having said that the amount of goal line drop outs we forced proved we have more about us and that we made Leigh work for it from close range. I'm now more confident we can get the wins that count from the teams around us. 

The future's bright, the future's RED AMBER & BLACK!

http://www.jmgaskets-seals.co.uk/ image.png.96e4130d8b139666bf34e8fcdead30d9.png

On 29/01/2020 at 13:56, The Phantom Horseman said:

It's more accurate to say Leigh beat Wigan's reserves. The 23 players who featured against Leigh contained only 1 or 2 who will be in Wigan's 17 for their season opener, and Leigh only beat them 12-6 (0-0 at half time).

A similar team to the one Wigan fielded against Leigh has crushed Widnes reserves 52-10 today, so it seems that Leigh beating them 12-6 may have been a better result than it might have looked.

4 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

A similar team to the one Wigan fielded against Leigh has crushed Widnes reserves 52-10 today, so it seems that Leigh beating them 12-6 may have been a better result than it might have looked.

Leigh looked good last night,discipline may let them down though. Your coach and Davide Longo was their as well.

I also agree that we played much better than last season and think that we would have been better still if the injured Knowles had been at scrum half. His tackling and running is very strong. Unlike some posters I think that Sykes had one of his best games for us since joining. His attack running was much stronger and elusive, and his passing more accurate. He gave the team more go forward near the line, but as mentioned earlier by other posters we need more zip from other contributors. Over all I was happy with the performance - the forwards did well against a bigger stronger and more mobile opponent.

Archived