35 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Brilliant win at Leeds, lost to Hull away 24 - 0 in the SemiFinal, a game to far after a season when we were not expected to reach the Play Offs. Remember Gary Pierce, the Hull Stand Off signed from Union, he was outstanding in that game.

1989 playoffs

Steadman & Harrison's last matches.

(23-0 writes a pedant)

didn’t Chris Burton give Steady a crack after the game?  

I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

14 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

I don't think so. Steady didn't have a good game but there was no animosity afterwards.

Yes. IIRC Steadman was carrying abit of an injury in the latter part of the year. That Hull match just felt like a game too far at the end of a long season.

On 20/04/2020 at 15:25, Stephen P said:

How about Andy Macintosh running rings around Ellery Hanley in game against Bradford before injuries got to him.

The Jeff Townend final goal in Hull KR game was a touchline conversion in injury time to win it!

Jeff Townend looked a very good prospect until the Yorkshire Cup Final when Tony Fisher bullied him to death. He was never the same after that, it seemed to dent his confidence.

Edited by Steve Slater

I don't remember the Townend touchline conversion. My only memory of Jeff Townsend was in a match against Cas at P.O.R. when seconds after the half time hooter had gone he kicked a drop goal (which didn't count) from about half way on the Bullock stand side. I guess it would have been in about '76 as I was young and impressionable. I remember him being a big but mobile prop who looked to have a big future. The earlier post may have lead to that prospect not materialising. Funny how some innocuous events stick but others like the touchline kick don't.

On 18/04/2020 at 23:43, gazza77 said:

Interesting you mention Dom Maloney. He's a player who did stand out for me in just the one game. No idea who it was against, but he'd been fairly anonymous for us for most of the season, then rumours started about him joining the army. As soon as it was confirmed, next game was one of the best individual performances I'd seen from a prop. He never managed it again, for whatever reason. 

Here's that game...great commentary from Martin Overton, "DOMINIC MALONEY TAKE A BOW"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 20/04/2020 at 19:39, POR said:

colin 118 19 sub so 137 in total

On 19/04/2020 at 08:18, The Phantom Horseman said:

Yep. Leigh at home in, I think, the play off semis. We were well behind at half time but Maloney was inspired and we won comfortably. Think that was the game Kevin Henderson was sent off near the end for trying to decapitate Kyle Briggs and even his brother Andrew on the TV comms said he deserved to be sent off!

Good memory PH. 13 September 2012. Fev won 32-14. HT 6-14. Maloney was a sub but scored 2 tries and was the League Express Man of the Match. And you're right about Kevin Henderson as well. It happened in the 77th minute so had no impact on the final score.

On 20/04/2020 at 15:25, Stephen P said:

How about Andy Macintosh running rings around Ellery Hanley in game against Bradford before injuries got to him.

The Jeff Townend final goal in Hull KR game was a touchline conversion in injury time to win it!

Good shout re. Andy MacIntosh.  He was outstanding for a short spell (from memory 84-85 season). Shame it couldn't last longer.  I also remember the game against Bradford where everyone was expecting Hanley to add to his tally - I think it was that record breaking season

Can anyone remember Clive Hill's debut sometime around 1975? He was a right winger signed from York, who made an immediate impact with his ability to beat his opponent on the outside. Within a short time nothing was heard of him again, don't know what happened to him?

12 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

Can anyone remember Clive Hill's debut sometime around 1975? He was a right winger signed from York, who made an immediate impact with his ability to beat his opponent on the outside. Within a short time nothing was heard of him again, don't know what happened to him?

He was a Welshman who played 8 games for us at the end of the 74-75 season and then 22 games the following season, his last game actually came shortly after Steve Quinn joined us from York but I don't think the two things were connected. I remember him as being quite chunkily built for a wing but might be wrong.

Hill seemed to be competing for a place with Dave Dyas during his spell here though I don't know if injuries played a part in that. For whatever reason, Dyas took over again from Hill just before our great cup run of 75-76 that saw its highest point with a 33-7 crushing of Leeds, often discussed on this forum!