del capo

D W Stadium - Wigan Warriors

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

If no buyer is found for next season, do the Warriors carry on playing there and pay the administrators the rent or will they have to vacate the DW? 

If so considering there is a very adequate facility within the Borough at Leigh Sports Village and part owned by by Wigan Metropolitan Borough Council, the stadium holds 12,000 which is over Wigans recent seasonal average attendances it would be the correct course of action for The Warriors to play out of the LSV and pay the rent to the council for doing so.

I say this for no reason other than I am a rate payer to WMBC, and so it seems the correct course of action for the benefit of every rate payer, the alternative is they go and pay somewhere else Bolton perhaps or finance and build their own within the town of Wigan.

A move to the LSV could be a good thing for Wigan IMO, the DW stadium is too big for them with the exception of games against Saints. If they played their home games at Leigh and had some ambition they could take their Saints home game to The City Of Manchester Stadium.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

A move to the LSV could be a good thing for Wigan IMO, the DW stadium is too big for them with the exception of games against Saints. If they played their home games at Leigh and had some ambition they could take their Saints home game to The City Of Manchester Stadium.

On that logic Hull FC should move to Craven Park, Rhino's to Elland Road and just open one stand etc.

The stadium size is irrelevant though, it's the stadium deal - and the Warriors have a very good one at the DW.

That's before you take into account the facilities next door at Robin Park which generate significant club matchday revenue.

• Like 2

The DW been massively under used because of the limitations put on it by the football there hasn't been an international game there for many years now or semi finals. it also has enormous potential as a music venue the sipping down the league of the latics might be a blessing in disguise for everyone concerned

Edited by my missus

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time

16 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Have you visited the LSV not just the stadium but everthing that goes with it, the ground capacity is only half size of the DW but it really offers much more, and the Metro has much more than the 15% it has in the DW, I couldn't care less if Wigan play in Leigh or Leicester, but I am interested how the council spends it's money, the LSV is a facility in and for the people of the Borough which consists of much more than just the town of Wigan, money should be spent in all parts though you wouldn't think so if you heard some of the views I have.

But how much is the council stake in LSV worth to the council compared the 15% they own in the DW? The LSV is a satellite stadium built to primarily service the local community and is less than half the size of the DW. It's relative value may therefore be much smaller.

44 minutes ago, M j M said:

Interesting take indeed. Wigan have been losing money for years so it's hard to say it's temporary, and Lenagan's comments suggest it's not particularly by choice either.

He would rather not, but we choose to spend a lot of money on nice to haves, for the benefit of the game and the community. 

16 minutes ago, my missus said:

the sipping down the league of the latics might be a blessing in disguise for everyone concerned

Not everyone. https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/wigan-athletic-make-75-members-18556444

Maybe the town needs both clubs doing as well as they can? I guess one Wigan club can't afford to independently run a 25,000 capacity stadium.

52 minutes ago, my missus said:

why does the LSV offer much more than the DW?

It keeps the people of Leigh in Leigh??

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

54 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

But how much is the council stake in LSV worth to the council compared the 15% they own in the DW? The LSV is a satellite stadium built to primarily service the local community and is less than half the size of the DW. It's relative value may therefore be much smaller.

Not to mention (so I won't 😀 it's lower contribution to the coucil's income ftom business rates.  I'm sure someone on here must know the figures. 

Four legs good - two legs bad

17 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Not to mention (so I won't 😀 it's lower contribution to the coucil's income ftom business rates.  I'm sure someone on here must know the figures. 

I'm sure someone is busily researching it right now.

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Or Old Trafford, they’d sell that out twice over. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, JohnM said:

You don't know, not like you to keep quiet if you know something John.

Anyway all I am saying if Wiggin were to play out of the LSV it may save them, the council and the ratepayers some money, I and neither do you know till the maths are done. 

The borough doesn't need two rugby stadiums there's a little over 6 miles between the towns and 12,000 capacity will do for Wigan's recent annual average attendances.

Just saying.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, my missus said:

why does the LSV offer much more than the DW?

It would be convenient to have both the SL club and the feeder club at the same stadium, woudn't it?

• Haha 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

30 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

What keeps the Headingley faithful from travelling to away games Tommy?

Good Taste

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

It would be convenient to have both the SL club and the feeder club at the same stadium, woudn't it?

Both in the same division too👍

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Yes, double headers at the DW, with Leigh in the championship as curtain raiser. 

Four legs good - two legs bad

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Both in the same division too👍

Really cannot see Wigan getting relegated to the Championship.

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Yes, double headers at the DW, with Leigh in the championship as curtain raiser. 

17 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Really cannot see Wigan getting relegated to the Championship.

Don't give up the day jobs lads,☹️☹️

• Haha 2

Let's remind people of a few things pointed out in the early days of this.

Wigan Council lease the land the stadium sits on to the stadium company/owners.

Wigan Council have strict covenants restricting the use of the land to the sports of rugby and football.

The covenants were tightened when Whelan sold to foreign owners.

The chances of the council allowing the stadium to be sold off for development other than sport are zero.

Now the current situation.

At least one of the five bidders has dropped and a second the administrators are unsure about.

Nobody knows who they are, well except the administrators and probably some people in the council as 15% shareholders.

The administrators have said that the drop in division makes it more saleable as next years wage bill will be a lot less, and that is were the massive overspends come from.

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Old Bramley fans get a sour taste at the mention of Covenants ' if sold only to be used for sport and recreation ' 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

18 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Old Bramley fans get a sour taste at the mention of Covenants ' if sold only to be used for sport and recreation ' 

Wigan Councils legal team reviewed the covenants and tightened them when foreign owners took over. Did you miss that.

Modern covenants don't have all the loop holes of ancient one's that can be exploited easily.

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Cars and coaches are an option.

You know what people are like, creatures of habit, don't like change, get their money's worth.