Passage to SL?

3 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

Coluseum in Rome, the working class in the upper tier cheap seats got in for free. The sponsors came in droves. For prestige back then, for products now. 

Yes , but they all had something to play for , ie don't get your head chopped off or eaten , and you can come back next week and try again 

How popular would the ' games ' at the Coliseum have been if their wasn't some ' jeapody ' at stake ? 😂

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes , but they all had something to play for , ie don't get your head chopped off or eaten , and you can come back next week and try again 

How popular would the ' games ' at the Coliseum have been if their wasn't some ' jeapody ' at stake ? 😂

Russell Crowe did pretty well though must have been his RL connections:)

I think franchising has some merits as I mentioned in an earlier post but the drama and excitement of a relegation battle towards the back end of the season and the Championship teams fighting for the top 5 to have a chance of promotion does create a lot of interest both for fans and in the media.  Even if I don't support any of the teams involved I would definitely tune in to watch a game between 2 teams battling to avoid relegation whereas if 10 vs 11 was played towards the end of the season with nothing at stake I'd consider giving it a miss 

3 minutes ago, PEANUT HEAD said:

Well tell me what they give back, and don't give me that ###### there fans would have to fly every week and ours only have to fly once, because they don't even fly once.

They give us all an excellent chance to laugh at you right now 😂

Any more pathetic whinges?

Just now, PEANUT HEAD said:

Well let's have them.

More fully professional French players than ever before. Increased profile of RL in France and the northern hemisphere. Extra Super League games broadcast for Sky. Thousands of regular RL fans in the south of France. A club that can spend to the salary cap and bring in genuine marquee signings (unlike many in the league). A successful team. A really nice place to go watch rugby for fans, significantly nicer than most of the other places in the League, providing RL with the "European away day" other sports have. 

Do you need more?

21 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

More fully professional French players than ever before. Increased profile of RL in France and the northern hemisphere. Extra Super League games broadcast for Sky. Thousands of regular RL fans in the south of France. A club that can spend to the salary cap and bring in genuine marquee signings (unlike many in the league). A successful team. A really nice place to go watch rugby for fans, significantly nicer than most of the other places in the League, providing RL with the "European away day" other sports have. 

Do you need more?

Yeah but they ain’t Leigh.

I was listening to the recent Forty Twenty podcast yesterday, one of the contributors mentioned that with all the recent moves that RL is in danger of becoming like speedway, given some of the contributions made on here I suspect he may be right!

1 minute ago, PEANUT HEAD said:

Why if I was an owner I would want all the away fans a team could muster, one for atmosphere and two for income.

I've long been a fan of doing all you can to bring in as many away fans as possible , the benefits to the atmosphere at games is huge IMO

2 minutes ago, PEANUT HEAD said:

Why if I was an owner I would want all the away fans a team could muster, one for atmosphere and two for income.

Funny how in the most successful, and financially stable, leagues, they seem to manage without them!

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I've long been a fan of doing all you can to bring in as many away fans as possible , the benefits to the atmosphere at games is huge IMO

Agree with this totally, however clubs should not rely on them to survive, let’s face it many Championship clubs need the fans of Leigh, Fev, Bradford to be able to put a team on the field, that is not right if they ever hope to get beyond existing.

13 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

Funny how in the most successful, and financially stable, leagues, they seem to manage without them!

The Premier League , La liga , Bundersliga, Seria A ?

And that isn't the point , WE like having fans of both clubs at the games , it improves the atmosphere and therefore the experience , isn't that what we keep being told , we need to improve the match day experience ? 

6 hours ago, The Rocket said:

As Broncos fans I am interested on your opinions on why the Bronc`s ( that`s we call Brisbane ) in London haven`t kicked on.

From a distance and referring to the crowd figures I posted last night there seems to have has been many false dawns and a certain amount of goodwill towards the club.

A lot of people seem to make a lot of the fact that they have been around for 40 years and not achieved a lot. Personally I think the fact they have survived that long deserves respect. Almost half a century.

For the reasons stated in the first quote the SLE must persist with London Broncos.

It is inevitable ( no matter what the naysayers may claim ) that the future of SL will be with teams out of major population centres. More opportunities for financial backing, fanbase and eyeballs on T.V. 

Lack of success - bottom line 

When we start getting caned then crowds stop coming

We wouldn't even need to win CC or SL but a few top half finishes /Cup runs / finals would get us up and running agsin

13 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

Agree with this totally, however clubs should not rely on them to survive, let’s face it many Championship clubs need the fans of Leigh, Fev, Bradford to be able to put a team on the field, that is not right if they ever hope to get beyond existing.

SL clubs should not rely on SKY money they want to survive , let's face it many SL clubs need the SKY money to be able to put a team on the field , that is not right if they ever hope to get beyond existing 

Archived