Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Harry Stottle

Passage to SL?

Recommended Posts

If SL requires another club in 2021 to bring it back to 12 teams and considering that promotion is not going to be settled on the field of play how should the team be selected?

By straight simple invitation, or by a point structured list of criteria, and what topics do people think the list of criteria should be. It could well be that if the criteria was applied across the whole of the sport some SL clubs may score less than some Championship clubs.

If as I expect SL will become a closed shop again when the new TV contract comes into being will this selection process have to be performed next season in readiness for the 2022 kick-off and if so just run with 11 clubs next season, or will my assumptions of a closed shop be wrong and we will continue with P&R in 2021.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two "ifs" there Harry. I appreciate the interest in such a debate but, until they become actualities, then this is purely hypothetical, surely?

  • Thanks 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope we continue with P&R, without it RL below SL becomes meaningless and so does the bottom of SL. I wouldn’t watch Wakey v Toulouse on a Thursday night in the scrap for 11th place. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As discussed in the Toronto thread, Gary Hetherington has already set out his criteria for selecting the 12th club in 2021: finance, stadium, fans, commercial potential, player development.

If you were Super League and trying to grow the cake, you might well be tempted to include Toulouse and encourage a French broadcaster to sign up for a TV deal armed with the knowledge - potentially - that two French clubs are assured for the duration of the contract.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Two "ifs" there Harry. I appreciate the interest in such a debate but, until they become actualities, then this is purely hypothetical, surely?

Nothing like pre empting a situation johnny, it could be that those in power read pages such as these and could learn what those who go through the turnstiles would like to see happen, I am a great believer in the 7 P's of Proper Planning and Preperation Prevents Pi$$ Poor Performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

As discussed in the Toronto thread, Gary Hetherington has already set out his criteria for selecting the 12th club in 2021: finance, stadium, fans, commercial potential, player development.

If you were Super League and trying to grow the cake, you might well be tempted to include Toulouse and encourage a French broadcaster to sign up for a TV deal armed with the knowledge - potentially - that two French clubs are assured for the duration of the contract.

By those metrics its Toulouse first, followed by London then Leigh then Fev.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

By those metrics its Toulouse first, followed by London then Leigh then Fev.

I'd love to see London back in Super League but I realise that one, they have few fans and therefore don't have a mass of potential Sky TV subscribers and two, they couldn't grow the cake in terms of new TV deals.

There's an open goal here for Super League...

Edited by Man of Kent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

I'd love to see London back in Super League but I realise that one, they have few fans and therefore don't have a mass of potential Sky TV subscribers and two, they couldn't add grow the cake in terms of new TV deals.

There's an open goal here for Super League...

I agree its clearly Toulouse by the criteria Hetherington cites and for good reason. London have the on field precedent of being the best team to ever go down (points wise) I guess and would be the second choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

As discussed in the Toronto thread, Gary Hetherington has already set out his criteria for selecting the 12th club in 2021: finance, stadium, fans, commercial potential, player development.

If you were Super League and trying to grow the cake, you might well be tempted to include Toulouse and encourage a French broadcaster to sign up for a TV deal armed with the knowledge - potentially - that two French clubs are assured for the duration of the contract.

Also discussed in the Toronto thread, who would be those applying Mr Hetheringtons suggestion be deemed impartial, without influence or ulterior motive to select the 12th club?.

Are you saying though we should bypass the criteria model and just select Toulouse by invitation for the duration of whatever contract you deem acceptable - for how many seasons? - have you already closed the door to any other club gaining a SL place for a number of years? How many clubs and supporter's do you want to alienate from the game?

Haven't we been down the TV contract route before without it being accomplished, giving Tolouse SL status on a possibility is much the same as when Wakey, Cas and Salford were given the benefit of the doubt that they would improve their stadia,13 years on and still waiting for two of those clubs to accomplish anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I agree its clearly Toulouse by the criteria Hetherington cites and for good reason. London have the on field precedent of being the best team to ever go down (points wise) I guess and would be the second choice.

Leigh went down and didn't finish bottom. And if we are going back a couple of seasons Leigh averaged 6,500 whaf would Tolouse bring?

Edited by Harry Stottle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Also discussed in the Toronto thread, who would be those applying Mr Hetheringtons suggestion be deemed impartial, without influence or ulterior motive to select the 12th club?.

Are you saying though we should bypass the criteria model and just select Toulouse by invitation for the duration of whatever contract you deem acceptable - for how many seasons? - have you already closed the door to any other club gaining a SL place for a number of years? How many clubs and supporter's do you want to alienate from the game?

Haven't we been down the TV contract route before without it being accomplished, giving Tolouse SL status on a possibility is much the same as when Wakey, Cas and Salford were given the benefit of the doubt that they would improve their stadia,13 years on and still waiting for two of those clubs to accomplish anything.

I'm not playing your game, Harold 🙂 We all know almost all your one-eyed posts are essentially about why Leigh should be in Super League!

It wouldn't be rocket science for the governing body/bodies to select a panel that could independently arrive at the sensible selection. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Why?

Toulouse are clearly who Hetherington is intimating in his comments. London were in Super League less than a year ago and have one of the best examples of youth player development in the whole game whilst also being fully professional. Then Leigh who have recent super league experience and good crowds but are not wholly full time and Fev are who are a lesser version of Leigh by those metrics. 

Perhaps should include Bradford on that list too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Leigh went down and didn't finish bottom.

They lost the relegation playoff just like KR did the previous year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Leigh went down and didn't finish bottom. And if we are going back a couple of seasons Leigh averaged 6,500 what would Toulouse bring?

Dunno.

Why don't we find out ?

  • Like 2

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Leigh went down and didn't finish bottom. And if we are going back a couple of seasons Leigh averaged 6,500 whaf would Tolouse bring?

Added a second point there H!

Not sure, they got a really good crowd against Toronto at their new ground last Year iirc. As I'm sure you'll point out that includes no away fans, and we've seen the Catalans example of a huge growth (3 fold plus) in crowds between Super League and not. I'd expect similar levels at Olympique.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd much rather the administrators choose to focus on an Anglo/French league rather than transatlantic.  

Whether that included the likes of Fev, Leigh or whatever but more French clubs for sure - two would  be good 2nd step.

Mind you if a Californian  club pops up to be part of the mix of NA clubs then that may have the administrators going in another direction before finishing the focus on Anglo/French as once before.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

As discussed in the Toronto thread, Gary Hetherington has already set out his criteria for selecting the 12th club in 2021: finance, stadium, fans, commercial potential, player development.

If you were Super League and trying to grow the cake, you might well be tempted to include Toulouse and encourage a French broadcaster to sign up for a TV deal armed with the knowledge - potentially - that two French clubs are assured for the duration of the contract.

Would English clubs expect a share of a French TV deal though? 
 

This is of course a rhetorical question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Toulouse are clearly who Hetherington is intimating in his comments. London were in Super League less than a year ago and have one of the best examples of youth player development in the whole game whilst also being fully professional. Then Leigh who have recent super league experience and good crowds but are not wholly full time and Fev are who are a lesser version of Leigh by those metrics. 

Perhaps should include Bradford on that list too.

Complete speculation all round. Who knows which clubs will come out the other side of this pandemic?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Complete speculation all round. Who knows which clubs will come out the other side of this pandemic?

Indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

By those metrics its Toulouse first, followed by London then Leigh then Fev.

Depends on points per criteria

ie Crowds - Leigh have by far the highest outside SL and 4x London in recent SL. Does Sky want to show empty stadiums with no atmosphere?

Finance/Commercial potential - TO and Fev are unknown, London and Leigh will have recent income/P&L data from the time in SL the RFL can draw upon. TO being a city could attract the biggest number in RL but it may not

Potential - London and TO are the larger populations, London has failed miserably to draw a crowd and TO is unknown but being a RU city has a good chance. Leigh are a shoe in for 7k plus gates based upon 2017 and would quickly set up a decent academy in Y2 if granted a Cat 1 status, Fev could do the same but will struggle to average 6-7k gates. Leigh and Fev would draw from the same pools as existing Cat 1 academys do, as they currently draw upon Leigh and Fev lads

Stadium - TO move to the RU stadium is a positive if maintained but clashes could be fun, LSV is the better of all.

Conclusion - all have good cases, all have risk, most are better than some current SL clubs and all are too big for the Championship together with Bradford and Newcastle, plus Ottawa and New York if they happen. 

Solution - expand SL to 20 clubs over 2 divisions with a 3 year licence review. Non UK clubs must provide there own TV deal, but 3 NAmerican clubs and 3 French (Avignon) should help that, and we should be looking at 2x 12 at the review.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I'm not playing your game, Harold 🙂 We all know almost all your one-eyed posts are essentially about why Leigh should be in Super League!

It wouldn't be rocket science for the governing body/bodies to select a panel that could independently arrive at the sensible selection. 

All along I have said I want nothing more than P&R to be the way into SL, now compare my one eyed posts with your championing Toulouse on speculation and "I'd love to see London back in SL" not that much difference between us MoK is there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

All along I have said I want nothing more than P&R to be the way into SL, now compare my one eyed posts with your championing Toulouse on speculation and "I'd love to see London back in SL" not that much difference between us MoK is there.

Massive difference between us, bud. I want what's best for the game, not Leigh 🙂

To answer your earlier point, Toulouse could be given three-year dispensation from relegation a la Catalans so that they can be protected yet jettisoned if necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I really hope we continue with P&R, without it RL below SL becomes meaningless and so does the bottom of SL. I wouldn’t watch Wakey v Toulouse on a Thursday night in the scrap for 11th place. 

This will be highlighted in the coming months of SL coverage, without Relegation in that division there will be no point whatsoever in screening games between those with no hope of making the play offs, unlike last season when interest in results of those games came from all quarters.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...