League One

On 06/08/2020 at 11:40, Hela Wigmen said:

Why aren’t you looking at, say, Rochdale Hornets, Hunslet, Oldham and let’s say the three Cumbrian sides? All of these clubs, let’s be honest, do nothing for player development,

Yeh ok , great general ignorance there 

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

The Cumbrian amateur sides for example have produced many, many players over the years, many who still play at Super League level, the three Cumbrian sides in the pro game haven’t. 

What a ridiculous statement! The Cumbrian pro sides have gave the opportunity for locals to play semi pro rugby who didn't want turn full time pro! 

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

The Cumbrian amateur sides for example have produced many, many players over the years, many who still play at Super League level, the three Cumbrian sides in the pro game haven’t. 

And take away these Cumbrian clubs who we can do without and where do all these amateur players who want to step up go to ? You know the 99% who aren’t going right into SL . The sides are crammed with amateur talent , id say those are pathways you say don’t exist . And to say they do nothing for player development is just rubbish and disrespectful . 

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Take it from those comments you are looking for a bite or simply just dont know anything about West Cumbria marra....

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It's how the system works

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

3 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Have a think about what you’re saying then ask where do any professional players originate from?

4 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Explain to me why there are Cumbrian amateur RL clubs ? 

Bearing in mind RL was born due to the introduction of payment to play RL , prior to the Cumbrian Pro clubs , there were no Cumbrian amateur clubs 

13 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Explain to me why there are Cumbrian amateur RL clubs ? 

Bearing in mind RL was born due to the introduction of payment to play RL , prior to the Cumbrian Pro clubs , there were no Cumbrian amateur clubs 

No Cumbrian amateur clubs? 

22 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes , without the pro clubs, those amateur clubs would have remained RU clubs 

Is this only true in Cumbria?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

30 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes , without the pro clubs, those amateur clubs would have remained RU clubs 

I'm confuse, there's bern a Cumberland amateur league for well over 100 years with clubs from workington, Whitehaven and the surrounding areas, yet workington town were the first professional team In the area and came into existence in 1944. Or are you saying those Cumberland league clubs were professional? They may have been, it's something I'd never even considered to be honest. 

8 minutes ago, dkw said:

I'm confuse, there's bern a Cumberland amateur league for well over 100 years with clubs from workington, Whitehaven and the surrounding areas, yet workington town were the first professional team In the area and came into existence in 1944. Or are you saying those Cumberland league clubs were professional? They may have been, it's something I'd never even considered to be honest. 

Then I'm wrong , I genuinely thought the Cumbrian clubs were older than that 

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

There is a mention of Whitehaven recreation being around at the time of the formation of the NU 

I've always assumed the clubs round here were always amateur but now I'm not too sure. Flimby are 100 years old for example but I don't know if they have ever been pro.

6 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

ALL players are produced by amateur clubs you numpty. Pro clubs just develop them further. Where did Leeds get Kyle Amor from ? Where did Huddersfield get Shaun Lunt from ? They weren’t signed from amateur clubs and in Lunt’s case he had already been rejected and thrown on the scrap heap by the SL academy system. Without Workington Town he’d have packed the game in at age 19.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

IN yorkshire amateur clubs were playing before pro clubs take my team FEV

1902 - Featherstone Rovers Rugby League Football Club is formed at the Railway Hotel on Station Lane. 

1903 - The club joins their first league, the Wakefield & District League, 
1906 - The club disbands after a mass exodus of players to richer clubs.
1908 - The club reforms 
1912 - The club merges with Featherstone NUFC.
1916 - The club closes down as World War I takes hold.
1919-1921 - The club is unbeaten wins all possible honours in the junior leagues.

1921 - Featherstone Rovers Rugby League Football Club is accepted into the senior league of the Northern Union and the rest is history

51 minutes ago, dkw said:

Barrow are, Town were 44, haven were 3 or 4 years after. 

However, dkw, Barrow are not older than Workington Town or Whitehaven as a Cumbrian club.  They did not become that until the great  re-organisation of local government in 1974; previously the town was in Lancashire and no doubt many of an older generation will still consider it to be so.

58 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Then I'm wrong , I genuinely thought the Cumbrian clubs were older than that 

No, which is why in the context specifically of the professional game, some of us raise an eyebrow or two (and let's face it, raising three is a bit tricky!) when places in France, such as Toulouse, are described as 'expansion' areas, but Cumbria is considered 'heartland'.  For the record, TO XIII date themselves from 22nd October, 1937.

3 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

However, dkw, Barrow are not older than Workington Town or Whitehaven as a Cumbrian club.  They did not become that until the great  re-organisation of local government in 1974; previously the town was in Lancashire and no doubt many of an older generation will still consider it to be so.

No, which is why in the context specifically of the professional game, some of us raise an eyebrow or two (and let's face it, raising three is a bit tricky!) when places in France, such as Toulouse, are described as 'expansion' areas, but Cumbria is considered 'heartland'.  For the record, TO XIII date themselves from 22nd October, 1937.

Both very good points, I'm going down a rabbit hole here trying to find out if Workington were the first Cumbrian Professional side, no luck so far. 

3 minutes ago, dkw said:

Both very good points, I'm going down a rabbit hole here trying to find out if Workington were the first Cumbrian Professional side, no luck so far. 

Millom were the first Cumbrian club to join the Northern Union so I’d assume they were the first pro club in the sense that they were paying their players.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Just now, Derwent said:

Millom were the first Cumbrian club to join the Northern Union so I’d assume they were the first pro club in the sense that they were paying their players.

Were they Cumbrian then though, as Wiltshire said was it not Lancashire? 

Archived