McManus rejects proposal for 11-team Super League

18 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Academys just turn potential to product. Im not convinced theres enough potential in the area for 3 top teams

So you are agreeing with me , that any more than 3 academies in the Saints,Wigan,Wire triangle would be a waste of time ?

The priority for all non current academy clubs is community participation numbers , don't you agree ?

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, yipyee said:

7000 job losses at M&S today

Cant be COVID lets blame the wolfpack!

No , actually it's the impact of the internet , online buying , which Covid has just speeded up the consequences of 

17 minutes ago, Eddie said:

As well as all of their employees problem sadly, and their fans who were a massive asset to the game and could well now be lost from it. 

No one wants to see any clubs lost to the game but unfortunately clubs have to live within their means there are currently far too many clubs spending money they don’t have and unfortunately it’s the fans that miss out.

18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

As well as all of their employees problem sadly, and their fans who were a massive asset to the game and could well now be lost from it. 

Indeed , but it isn't anybodies fault , they should have pulled out in April , that could have provided time to sort it all out , by leaving it till late on , it's created a bad feeling for the club , they had a ready made excuse but didn't take it 

1 hour ago, SL17 said:

Then let the dog see the rabbit.

You are only being allowed to catch the scent right now...different dogs hunt different ways, some with nose, others with sight contact.

50 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

From who ? 

From McManus...that is the title of the tread!  But great minds think alike and at first I thought the idea might be from you?

20 minutes ago, yipyee said:

How many business owners are facing tough choices and how many businesses are going to come out the other side.

Lets not be wrong here the only reason SL has survived is the influx of cash from the govenment and the furlough scheme..

Now if Toronto had been admitted straight to SL and this was season number 3 then i would expect a different outcome!

But they weren't , they knew the deal , they had the option to refuse , they tried to short cut , but were turned down thankfully 

If they had been based IN Canada as in Toronto , they could have accessed Canadian govt funding , but they weren't , so tuff titty , they got it wrong , they went for the cheapest option , it has bitten them back , unlucky , end of 

6 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Indeed , but it isn't anybodies fault , they should have pulled out in April , that could have provided time to sort it all out , by leaving it till late on , it's created a bad feeling for the club , they had a ready made excuse but didn't take it 

In April they wouldn’t have known how long this was going to go on, nobody did. If they’d pulled out then everyone would have just said it was an excuse. 

9 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

To be honest M&S were in trouble long before covid 

Exactly my point , ALL the high street is in danger , people walk round the shops looking , then order it online to save money 

Eventually it will all be online 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Exactly my point , ALL the high street is in danger , people walk round the shops looking , then order it online to save money 

Eventually it will all be online 

It makes sense to cut out the middle man, cutting out players agents theres a thread topic!

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

In April they wouldn’t have known how long this was going to go on, nobody did. If they’d pulled out then everyone would have just said it was an excuse. 

So just me then 😉

It was clear by mid April this wasn't going away quickly , and that transatlantic spectator sport wasn't coming back soon 

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

I couldn't care wether last year counts or not , if you are trying to run a transcontinental Sports clubs costing millions per year , it's something you should get right , it's nobodies fault other than the Wolfpack administration 

Once again a Canadian club should be based IN Canada 

Totally agree, doing something this unique and complicated requires top notch administrators, sadly TWP went for Noble and Vickers.

Interestingly if the club HAD been based in Canada I’m still not sure if they would have qualified for much, if any, government support, given that none of the playing or coaching staff were Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents (except for Quinn), there might have been a couple of Canadian based employees at the store but other than that I can’t think of anyone who would have qualified.

2 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

Totally agree, doing something this unique and complicated requires top notch administrators, sadly TWP went for Noble and Vickers.

Interestingly if the club HAD been based in Canada I’m still not sure if they would have qualified for much, if any, government support, given that none of the playing or coaching staff were Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents (except for Quinn), there might have been a couple of Canadian based employees at the store but other than that I can’t think of anyone who would have qualified.

In that case just another example of trying to run a club with the massive logistical problems of operating across 2 continents , compounded by the complete lack of players from one of them 

We see often examples like Super Rugby quoted , but yes there are RU players ( top quality ) in NZ , in SA , in Australia , in Argentina , there are some in Japan ,but they have been struggling even with their financial resources 

Bottom line is it doesn't really work 

3 hours ago, yipyee said:

How many business owners are facing tough choices and how many businesses are going to come out the other side.

Lets not be wrong here the only reason SL has survived is the influx of cash from the govenment and the furlough scheme..

Now if Toronto had been admitted straight to SL and this was season number 3 then i would expect a different outcome!

What cash from the Government has been taken by who?

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

In that case just another example of trying to run a club with the massive logistical problems of operating across 2 continents , compounded by the complete lack of players from one of them 

We see often examples like Super Rugby quoted , but yes there are RU players ( top quality ) in NZ , in SA , in Australia , in Argentina , there are some in Japan ,but they have been struggling even with their financial resources 

Bottom line is it doesn't really work 

Especially if you try to run a club with administrators who, let’s face it, are hardly experienced in the complex world of running a business (any kind of business) in 2 continents.

If somehow (and I doubt it very much), TWP do survive, then they are going to need administrators who are capable of navigating the considerable degree of red tape that’s always involved when dealing with governments and immigration rules, and I just don’t think that RL attracts a talented enough calibre of individual who would be capable enough, which also makes me fear for the future of Ottawa and NY. Too often we throw a former player into sporting administrative roles as for whatever reason (usually $, also image), we can’t attract the right personnel.

6 hours ago, Oldbear said:

Especially if you try to run a club with administrators who, let’s face it, are hardly experienced in the complex world of running a business (any kind of business) in 2 continents.

If somehow (and I doubt it very much), TWP do survive, then they are going to need administrators who are capable of navigating the considerable degree of red tape that’s always involved when dealing with governments and immigration rules, and I just don’t think that RL attracts a talented enough calibre of individual who would be capable enough, which also makes me fear for the future of Ottawa and NY. Too often we throw a former player into sporting administrative roles as for whatever reason (usually $, also image), we can’t attract the right personnel.

Ex players are just about the worst option 

10 hours ago, Eddie said:

If so many people in the SE want to watch RL why do the Broncos and Skolars average about 1,300 between them? 

Also 1,500 and 5,000 is a massive difference. Ask Rochdale or Swinton. 

You do realise the South East is a pretty big area ?

Just now, yipyee said:

How many of those where freebies though.

Freebies are usually given for the Catalan game, what was the attendance at the catalan gamr and tgis would be a good ball park figure - around 10% freebies

None, the freebies were done the season before when Mr B opened the gates for getting into SL 10,500 gate v Batley.

Archived