Sign in to follow this  
Total Rugby League

Broadcasting rights go out to tender

The article doesn’t really make it clear whether the RFL package is all together or if broadcasters can choose what they would like. If it is the latter than I’m not sure which channel will take the Championship and League 1 rights unless it is just rights for a weekly highlights show.

The packages do show the problems facing the game though. Ideally there should be at least two separate SL packages but as there will be only one broadcaster who will be interested there is no point. Internationals should be a separate package but international games are so infrequent broadcasters won’t pay much for them so would have to go together with the Cup. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SL17 said:

You are still didn’t answer the question and stop being abrupt. 

A, that wasn’t abrupt, and B, you haven’t made it clear what your question is. 

22 minutes ago, Eddie said:

A, that wasn’t abrupt, and B, you haven’t made it clear what your question is. 

Do you need sign language??  Again what BBC channel would like to see the lower tiers shown on? You comprehensively based your comment on the BBC without looking at alternative channels.

7 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Do you need sign language??  Again what BBC channel would like to see the lower tiers shown on? You comprehensively based your comment on the BBC without looking at alternative channels.

Are you half cut? I quite clearly said the BBC wouldn’t show it and then explained why nobody else would either. So in summary, no channel would show Championship rugby unless they were paid to do so. 

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Are you half cut? I quite clearly said the BBC wouldn’t show it and then explained why nobody else would either. So in summary, no channel would show Championship rugby unless they were paid to do so. 

I asked why? You still haven’t answered it.

5 minutes ago, SL17 said:

I asked why? You still haven’t answered it.

Because not enough people would want to watch it to make it worth their while. 

If the championship and Championship 1 was ever to be viewed as a late night highlights package it would be on Yorkshire TV and Granada with maybe Border TV on  the ITV Platform. Regional stations for a regional sport.

It is a myth that BBC coverage of Super League is restricted to the north. In that even those of us who live in the garden of England can access this programme through digital TV in the same way I can watch BBC Scotland

?

The dominant ideas in society are always and everywhere the ideas of the ruling class. And always and everywhere they portray us as stupid, untrustworthy with bad motives. Show us respect sir. We gave you everything progressive there is. We gave you democracy. We demand some too.

Eddie Demsey RMT

There were 17.4m people who voted to leave the European Union.

"Any attempt to try to cast their vote aside, as if they didn’t mean it or didn’t understand the consequences, whereas everybody else did, is a bit of a slur on the individuals who took the time to vote, many of them for the first time

Ian Lavery - Labour party chair  - 29th March 2019

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Because not enough people would want to watch it to make it worth their while. 

That’s what SL along with SKY have done to the game. So you still want to go down the same lines in order that clubs survive on a shoestring for another 4/5! years? 

I’m sorry if  I have insulted you. But this needs sorting and not yes we’ll take that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SL17 said:

That’s what SL along with SKY have done to the game. So you still want to go down the same lines in order that clubs survive on a shoestring for another 4/5! years? 

I’m sorry if  I have insulted you. But this needs sorting and not yes we’ll take that.

You haven’t insulted me, I just don’t think rights to championship games are worth a penny. I don’t want it to be like that, but as championship attendances suggest, there isn’t much of a market for it sadly. 

5 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

If the championship and Championship 1 was ever to be viewed as a late night highlights package it would be on Yorkshire TV and Granada with maybe Border TV on  the ITV Platform. Regional stations for a regional sport.

It is a myth that BBC coverage of Super League is restricted to the north. In that even those of us who live in the garden of England can access this programme through digital TV in the same way I can watch BBC Scotland

Not talking SL. That stays with SKY.

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

You haven’t insulted me, I just don’t think rights to championship games are worth a penny. I don’t want it to be like that, but as championship attendances suggest, there isn’t much of a market for it sadly. 

Fair enough. I do think the way forward for expansion and the game is through the lower tiers. But I’m more adamant sending these clubs to SL is suicidal.

Surely the entertainment is again building in the lower tiers. Will the BBC not enjoy the Ottawa Aces?

7 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Fair enough. I do think the way forward for expansion and the game is through the lower tiers. But I’m more adamant sending these clubs to SL is suicidal.

Surely the entertainment is again building in the lower tiers. Will the BBC not enjoy the Ottawa Aces?

I think the lower leagues are great, especially the championship, but sadly no I don’t think the likes of the BBC or any national media could care less. The bbc barely even feature RL on their website and the attention that they give the weekly highlights show seems minimal, almost as if they’re forced to pay lip service to us. 

The lower tiers should not be broadcast live other than the events , as in Summer Bash and the play offs 

There should be a highlights show , put together by the Clubs themselves if necessary

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I think the lower leagues are great, especially the championship, but sadly no I don’t think the likes of the BBC or any national media could care less. The bbc barely even feature RL on their website and the attention that they give the weekly highlights show seems minimal, almost as if they’re forced to pay lip service to us. 

But SKY couldn’t care less and pay for that reason. If you think that’s right for the game then let SL take the money and do one. Watch FTA flock back.

9 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The lower tiers should not be broadcast live other than the events , as in Summer Bash and the play offs 

There should be a highlights show , put together by the Clubs themselves if necessary

How can you have highlights? Will we see that a week later?

Whats this Gubby wants SLY money?

Edited by SL17

13 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

On what, and for how much money?

9 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

YouTube 

A fair area, but that won't make any money (and certainly not make up for the shortfall of being cut off from the super league deal)

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

A fair area, but that won't make any money (and certainly not make up for the shortfall of being cut off from the super league deal)

Highlights should be separate from live content 

We currently only have the event games as I suggested broadcast anyway 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Highlights should be separate from live content 

We currently only have the event games as I suggested broadcast anyway 

And who should they be broadcast by?

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Whoever is willing to pay for them 

Do you think the details from the OP article make it more or less likely to be Sky or another Pay TV network? I'm inclined to think Super League isn't willing to give away as much of the TV income as it does currently.

I know you think differently but I don't see the harm in having one championship game a week broadcast live, perhaps in conjunction with highlights of the other games.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Do you think the details from the OP article make it more or less likely to be Sky or another Pay TV network? I'm inclined to think Super League isn't willing to give away as much of the TV income as it does currently.

I know you think differently but I don't see the harm in having one championship game a week broadcast live, perhaps in conjunction with highlights of the other games.

So you want to give it away for free ?

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

So you want to give it away for free ?

Not at all, I think it would benefit from dovetailing with one of the more attractive packages because its standalone value (and the ability of those selling it) isn't very high imo.