Away Teams

Home team takes everything afaik - which is why away ticket prices can be a bit over the odds. Some Bulls fans reported that they faced increased prices than usual as away fans as a way to make as much money out of them as possible (in the championship).

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I remember when the Away or visiting team would get a percentage share of the gate receipts, does this practice still happen or has it been done away with, I remember some clubs would be accused of 'manipulating' the attendance so the contribution to visiting team would be less. 

Wasn't it just a percentage of the tickets that the away club sold through their own office, rather than a flat cut of the total gate receipts? I always seem to recall the message being that clubs wanted you to buy in advance as they got the cut, rather than paying on the gate. 

The visiting club takes in £50,000 in it's own tills for away game tickets, wires the home club £45k and pockets the 10%. Not sure how you manipulate that. 

3 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Wasn't it just a percentage of the tickets that the away club sold through their own office, rather than a flat cut of the total gate receipts? I always seem to recall the message being that clubs wanted you to buy in advance as they got the cut, rather than paying on the gate. 

The visiting club takes in £50,000 in it's own tills for away game tickets, wires the home club £45k and pockets the 10%. Not sure how you manipulate that. 

3 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Doesn't the away team get a share of 'away fans' tickets they sell? 

I don't know how old you two guy's are but I definitely remember that the away team got a percentage of gate receipts.

Up to date, yes you have reminded me if the away team sells tickets to it's own fans for the fixture they get rewarded for doing so.

41 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I don't know how old you two guy's are but I definitely remember that the away team got a percentage of gate receipts.

Up to date, yes you have reminded me if the away team sells tickets to it's own fans for the fixture they get rewarded for doing so.

Definitely used to share gate receipts, after costs, for cup ties

Clubs get a percentage of money from away game tickets bought in advance for Super League fixtures.  Obviously purchased from the away teams allocation and via that away teams sales outlets.  Thought it was 20%.?  

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Just now, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Clubs get a percentage of money from away game tickets bought in advance for Super League fixtures.  Obviously purchased from the away teams allocation and via that away teams sales outlets.  Thought it was 20%.?  

So being generous for 1000 away fans at 25 quid each bought through the away club shop its worth £5000?

9 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Away clubs take a commission on the tickets they sell in advance but nothing else. 20% in the Championship and 25% in SL if memory serves me right.

Not sure it's that fixed, Matt,  I thought clubs could agree a deal between themselves but, clearly, the home team need to pay enough to entice the away team to do their sales work and there will no doubt be some generally accepted ground.

Cup ties are excepted from all this, of course.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

13 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I don’t recall that but up until the mid 90s we had the levy system in place which is what you might be thinking of. Clubs were required to pay 6% of gate receipts into the central levy fund which was then redistributed with lower league clubs getting a bigger share than those in the top division. In effect the levy fund was central funding for the small clubs.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

22 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

So being generous for 1000 away fans at 25 quid each bought through the away club shop its worth £5000?

That's how it was sold to us as away fan's from York. In 2019 buy the tickets through York and they would get a % of ticket prices. I am not 100% sure what happens if they just buy what they need or if the commit to so many tickets. 

14 hours ago, Griff said:

Not sure it's that fixed, Matt,  I thought clubs could agree a deal between themselves but, clearly, the home team need to pay enough to entice the away team to do their sales work and there will no doubt be some generally accepted ground.

Cup ties are excepted from all this, of course.

It's in the operational rules, albeit dependent on the away club requesting an allocation to sell which isn't necessarily every game.

Archived