Have Wigan got a new badge?

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, M j M said:

The Warriors thing is key. I guess putting myself in their shoes it was either embrace it properly or drop it. They've been neither one nor the other for 20+ years now.

Obviously they've decided to go all in but it's jarring because they've taken something fans seemed to have affinity for (no idea why, the town crest is nothing special) with a name and identity they've never loved or mostly ignored.

But in my view it's just a spectacular misreading of what their club is, why it's famous and what its brand strengths are. Wigan is famous for Rugby League, it's the Wigan part of the name and its history of success and excellence that is the absolute core. To chuck that to the outer ring and focus on a badly rendered version of the unloved and unimportant part of the identity is criminal.

I just don't understand what their vision of the brand is and what larger market they think can be won over by this. They have emphasised the secondary and the ephemeral over what is a very strong, very well known core identity. If this were some struggling or upcoming club that would not be so bad perhaps. But they aren't either. 

The old identity was tired and definitely needed updating but this is answering all the wrong questions and failing to get a grasp on what the essence of their brand and their club is.

You've voiced the opinion of seemily many very well mate.

I do want to ask though: The original crest had the word "Wigan" in much smaller writing and taking up a less prominent position than the new logo.

Why does the old crest that was heavily focused more on two lions and a castle (none of which exist in Wigan) seem to be preferred?

It seems those against it is because of nostalgia only. I can't see any other reason.

new rise.jpg

8 hours ago, Pulga said:

You've voiced the opinion of seemily many very well mate.

I do want to ask though: The original crest had the word "Wigan" in much smaller writing and taking up a less prominent position than the new logo.

Why does the old crest that was heavily focused more on two lions and a castle (none of which exist in Wigan) seem to be preferred?

It seems those against it is because of nostalgia only. I can't see any other reason.

I think the point is that the crest could be updated with the word Wigan more prominent, Wigan is the brand that’s known not Warriors.

your argument that a clubs badge has to have things on it that exist in the town it represents is quite a poor one, there are endless examples that show this isn’t the norm for club badges.

At least they have kept the 'Ancient and Loyal bit '

Ancient because Wigan was one of only 4 towns in Lancashire given recognition in the 13th century ( after Salford but before Manchester ) by Royal edict

And Loyal because it stood on the side of the Crown in the civil war and was recognised as such when Cromwell's  influence was finally removed with the Restoration........

As for the rest of the logo Wigan traces it's past to pre Roman  Celtic times  and after them  throw in the Vikings at Scholes,

But to me that logo still looks like my granddad with a tin hat on

10 minutes ago, del capo said:

Ancient because Wigan was one of only 4 towns in Lancashire given recognition in the 13th century ( after Salford but before Manchester ) by Royal edict

Liverpool got its charter in 1207, what were the other two (entirely unrelated to RL)?  

My initial reaction to this was that it’s dreadful and I couldn’t understand why they were changing a classic and traditional badge. However I’ve just listened to the latest BBC RL podcast, with Kris Radlinski as the guest, and he made some great points about why they’ve chosen to do it and why they chose that design -  I don’t think it’s such a bad idea now. 

There's more on this here: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/super-league-during-covid-inside-22939117?fbclid=IwAR3q0RjVj_jpOR6cgvCPauCDbZ0bSP5QLeOog7-V6O87BBTTpjxi9K7TECQ

tbf, they're getting some decent exposure on the back of it.  My favourite bit though: "the real narrative came about the eyes. It came from a work colleague who thought there was something about a Wiganer’s eyes - something you didn’t see in the eyes of his hometown of Warrington - a determination, a defiance, this desire to prove people wrong."  🤣

So the agency asked what Wigan was famous for, and they thought the answer they heard was 'eyes'... 

For more information on the Rugby League Record Keepers' Club please visit our official website at www.rugbyleaguerecords.com

5 minutes ago, Neil_Ormston said:

There's more on this here: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/super-league-during-covid-inside-22939117?fbclid=IwAR3q0RjVj_jpOR6cgvCPauCDbZ0bSP5QLeOog7-V6O87BBTTpjxi9K7TECQ

tbf, they're getting some decent exposure on the back of it.  My favourite bit though: "the real narrative came about the eyes. It came from a work colleague who thought there was something about a Wiganer’s eyes - something you didn’t see in the eyes of his hometown of Warrington - a determination, a defiance, this desire to prove people wrong."  🤣

So the agency asked what Wigan was famous for, and they thought the answer they heard was 'eyes'... 

Its such a joke 😂😂😂

Archived