Jump to content

British-born Francesca Bunting aiming to play for Brazil


Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, Cameron Highlander said:

I'm adept at twisting my neck like the young girl in the Exorcist movie........LOL.

Yeah right, you were looking at her ###### and just happened to notice. Just like I did.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 09/11/2020 at 11:33, Big Picture said:

"Bunting does not speak Portuguese and has been using translation apps to communicate with the Brazil squad."  That will work well during a match!

i played a game of union where the ref told us at the begining "it's ok I have an app for all the latest law changes" I thought the exact same thing you said

 

As an aside, St Alban's is a hotbed of Union womens talent, it is where the Saracens Ladies are based and off the back of that OA's girls teams are very strong at u13,15 & 18, so if any of those go to northern unis with ladies league teams they can polish up those skills then, the girls game (of unon) is more about handling and speed than "bosh it up the middle and kick tennis" colts  boys so an easier transition to league

Edited by SSoutherner
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, thebrewxi said:

I'm still confused. "Someone who's not played League, might play League". I assumed I'd gone mad. Maybe I have 

Its a positive article about someone from St Albans who has a very different background than you would expect a Rugby league player to have who may go on to represent a different country than you would expect to find playing Rugby League in the Rugby League World Cup next year. 

It made the main page of the BBC Sport website and is written with only positivity.. 

but yet, as always, the negativity is there.. "she hasnt played RL".. who cares, the article is good and positive

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Eddie said:

Yes that’s what it’s about, and I got shot down for pointing it out. 

You deserved to be shot down.

Negativity will kill our game.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, RP London said:

Its a positive article about someone from St Albans who has a very different background than you would expect a Rugby league player to have who may go on to represent a different country than you would expect to find playing Rugby League in the Rugby League World Cup next year. 

It made the main page of the BBC Sport website and is written with only positivity.. 

but yet, as always, the negativity is there.. "she hasnt played RL".. who cares, the article is good and positive

Does she even have a tattoo of "George Hotel, 1895"?

  • Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RP London said:

Its a positive article about someone from St Albans who has a very different background than you would expect a Rugby league player to have who may go on to represent a different country than you would expect to find playing Rugby League in the Rugby League World Cup next year. 

It made the main page of the BBC Sport website and is written with only positivity.. 

but yet, as always, the negativity is there.. "she hasnt played RL".. who cares, the article is good and positive

Not being negative. Just confused. 

There was once an article on the front page of my local paper that read "Mass Fish Death Blamed on Local Industry". I remember thinking how bad this sounded so I read down. It turned out one person had reported it about four fish.. and they might not have actually died. The article reminded me of that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

Not being negative. Just confused. 

There was once an article on the front page of my local paper that read "Mass Fish Death Blamed on Local Industry". I remember thinking how bad this sounded so I read down. It turned out one person had reported it about four fish.. and they might not have actually died. The article reminded me of that.

In what way? 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Presumably when Brazil are thrashed by England the headline will all be about  "Cry Baby Bunting!".....

Making a sharp exit....🏃‍♂️

I'm hoping it would be a tight game and they would go with "England in close shave against Brazil"

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 09/11/2020 at 11:17, Eddie said:

Nice story. However it doesn’t say a lot for the women’s World Cup that someone who’s never played a game of RL before might be playing in it in less than a year’s time. 

I'm not sure it says as much as you think. Plenty of good women's RU players could play in the Women's Super League (even for the top teams). Even in the WNRL you get the same. Brazil WRL are not a particularly strong team either. Don't forget that these are essentially amateur players. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Click said:

In what way? 🤣

Because that it isn't actually a story? Is it? Am I going/gone mad?

Someone who could qualify for Brazil in presumably a number of sports, who plays some amateur sports, is thinking about playing another sport she doesn't currently play, and has never played, because she met someone in a gym and had a chat about it.

I mean, fair play to her (a) for her obvious talent in self promotion and (b) for thinking about having a go at League.

....but the fish may not have even died, FFS. They might not have died! And yet there was an article about a mass fish killing in Droitwich! On the front page!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

Because that it isn't actually a story? Is it? Am I going/gone mad?

Someone who could qualify for Brazil in presumably a number of sports, who plays some amateur sports, is thinking about playing another sport she doesn't currently play, and has never played, because she met someone in a gym and had a chat about it.

I mean, fair play to her (a) for her obvious talent in self promotion and (b) for thinking about having a go at League.

....but the fish may not have even died, FFS. They might not have died! And yet there was an article about a mass fish killing in Droitwich! On the front page!

Is it not? She has been picked in the initial selection process for the Brazilian WC Squad for 2021. It isn't like she has only had a conversation with someone and then she is now talking to the BBC about it.

It is a good story that can show how the RLWC can be inclusive and how Brazil is adding more to the WC and bringing in new and fresh faces to the sport that haven't played it before.

If you want to keep comparing it to your mass fish killing, that's is up to you, but you are only looking for negatives in this story, and ignoring the positive aspects.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Click said:

Is it not? She has been picked in the initial selection process for the Brazilian WC Squad for 2021. It isn't like she has only had a conversation with someone and then she is now talking to the BBC about it.

It is a good story that can show how the RLWC can be inclusive and how Brazil is adding more to the WC and bringing in new and fresh faces to the sport that haven't played it before.

If you want to keep comparing it to your mass fish killing, that's is up to you, but you are only looking for negatives in this story, and ignoring the positive aspects.

Okay I was just having some fun.

I'll duck out. I was just fishing I guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, thebrewxi said:

Because that it isn't actually a story? Is it? Am I going/gone mad?

Someone who could qualify for Brazil in presumably a number of sports, who plays some amateur sports, is thinking about playing another sport she doesn't currently play, and has never played, because she met someone in a gym and had a chat about it.

I mean, fair play to her (a) for her obvious talent in self promotion and (b) for thinking about having a go at League.

....but the fish may not have even died, FFS. They might not have died! And yet there was an article about a mass fish killing in Droitwich! On the front page!

ffs we get a thread on here saying we get no coverage on things like the BBC and they complain because other sports get stories like these "none stories" published and they get ahead of the RL actual stories on sites...  then when we do we get this type of coverage we get people (not just you, just picked this to quote) bemoaning the fact we have a story on there... 

You really couldnt make this sort of scenario up! no wonder we dont get anywhere.. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, RP London said:

ffs we get a thread on here saying we get no coverage on things like the BBC and they complain because other sports get stories like these "none stories" published and they get ahead of the RL actual stories on sites...  then when we do we get this type of coverage we get people (not just you, just picked this to quote) bemoaning the fact we have a story on there... 

You really couldnt make this sort of scenario up! no wonder we dont get anywhere.. 

I don’t think anyone’s complained about the story being published? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I don’t think anyone’s complained about the story being published? 

I didnt say they were complaining it got published they are "bemoaning the fact it is on there" 

"it isnt actually a story" i would say is bemoaning the fact it is there.. 

its a good news story, its on the main page.. celebrate it ffs there is little to celebrate going on at the moment and there is a lot of negative press going on, this is a good bit of press lets enjoy it rather than pick bloody holes in it.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

An interesting story and it would be great to see more of these in the lead up to the World Cup as it just aids it as a global event rather than the usual accusation of badges of convenience.

It would be good to know how the BBC came about the story as it's obviously hit the front page of their website with far more ease than even some of our biggest games this season.

I did also note the Toronto Wolfpack badge on the Brazilian kit so I hope they aren't suffering a drop in income.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If 20 years ago the RFL and RL clubs had embraced and organised Tag RL there would have been a lot more RL-connected people in the South with backgrounds and back stories like Francesca Bunting.

Had they featured in media coverage, no doubt the complaint then would have been that Tag RL isn`t really RL. If we are to broaden our base and change perceptions, we are going to have to be more imaginative.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

An interesting story and it would be great to see more of these in the lead up to the World Cup as it just aids it as a global event rather than the usual accusation of badges of convenience.

It would be good to know how the BBC came about the story as it's obviously hit the front page of their website with far more ease than even some of our biggest games this season.

I did also note the Toronto Wolfpack badge on the Brazilian kit so I hope they aren't suffering a drop in income.

It’s because it’s an article about women’s sport, which the bbc love, hence the extraordinary number of articles about women’s football which very few people are interested in. I’m not saying this is right or wrong btw, it’s just an observation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

It’s because it’s an article about women’s sport, which the bbc love, hence the extraordinary number of articles about women’s football which very few people are interested in. I’m not saying this is right or wrong btw, it’s just an observation. 

Women's football international attendances dwarf those in RL, and pre-pandemic their club crowds were starting to get to the level that wouldn't have looked out of place in the lower reaches of SL. Let's not cry equality-gone-mad on the one hand while screaming for equal coverage of RL in the other.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It’s because it’s an article about women’s sport, which the bbc love, hence the extraordinary number of articles about women’s football which very few people are interested in. I’m not saying this is right or wrong btw, it’s just an observation. 

I have just done a quick audit of the BBC sports landing page.  Looking through the articles, features and video links, 57 of them were about men's sport and 7 were about women's sport.

Just an observation.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...