Jump to content

Watson Leaves Salford (Merged threads)


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Red Willow said:

Salford as a club can't do right in the eyes of some on this board, they spend more than they can afford and run up a debt they can't pay and some call for them to be relegated. They live within their means and balance the books and people say they should be kicked out of SL.

For some people getting at others is why forums were invented. "It's not personal, just social media!" And we'll all be lonely tonight and lonely tomorrow!

Stay well Red Willow and keep the word of Dan Sarginson in your 'ed

"We're building something special here, so it was an easy choice to sign for a few more years,"

In your 'ed sunshine in your 'ed!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think it is sideways, its a small step up, but a step up nontheless. Huddersfield, alongside Castleford, are a side that have won the LLS demonstrating the ability to compete consistently

I’d like to see you drive from Hudds to Manc in 30 minutes dead without breaking the law!

Huddersfield is a great choice for him, good squad, competitive with a superb group of young players coming through, not far from home, v good stadium, great training facilities, money at the top of t

Posted Images

5 hours ago, redjonn said:

What I find more than amusing is what he would have said to the likes of Callum Watkins to attract him to the club. The type of stuff a top player (he still is even if not at the level he was prior to injury) would want to hear I guess, the ambition of the club, the potential of the squad, where he thinks they can step up to, the vision, his excitement at working within the club and with him as a player, etc etc etc... all that he would think sincere stuff - Then he dumps them...

No problem how he wants to further his career, but I do wonder what he would have said to keep and attract certain players...  I assume players realise its all duff "sincere" stuff,,,

But has he dumped them or did the club promise him things to make him stay and have not kept them promises? who knows apart from the people involved.

If the club have sold all that to him and not or won't deliver it he's naturally gonna be a tad annoyed and understandably want to move somewhere where there is the potential for all those things.

Rather than question Watson's reasons maybe Salford fans should start asking questions of their club like why is their most successful coach in generations and a home grown lad who adores the club and was so committed to them able to leave so easily and suddenly? it could have been something that's been brewing for a while between Watson's ambition and the club's seemingly lack of it or lack of the prospect of anything changing, he's a coach who comes across as ambitious, why would he stay somewhere that doesn't match his ambition because he's 'done a good job' when there is no prospect of him or the club moving forward?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, daz39 said:

But has he dumped them or did the club promise him things to make him stay and have not kept them promises? who knows apart from the people involved.

If the club have sold all that to him and not or won't deliver it he's naturally gonna be a tad annoyed and understandably want to move somewhere where there is the potential for all those things.

Rather than question Watson's reasons maybe Salford fans should start asking questions of their club like why is their most successful coach in generations and a home grown lad who adores the club and was so committed to them able to leave so easily and suddenly? it could have been something that's been brewing for a while between Watson's ambition and the club's seemingly lack of it or lack of the prospect of anything changing, he's a coach who comes across as ambitious, why would he stay somewhere that doesn't match his ambition because he's 'done a good job' when there is no prospect of him or the club moving forward?

As I said Watson wanted to further his career was is what most would do - no problems their.

The point I was making was what or how he sold the club to those whom renewed their contracts recently and the likes of Callum Watkins - as per my comment. Not about his choice to go or reasons as I would assume he was being sincere in selling the club and all the rest... yet as it turned out it wasn't really sincere what he would have sold... I'm sure the players would not of renewed or sign anew if he had said the type of things you say he may think of Salford...

 Not whether Salford was the right place for his ambitions, although I would assume that's what he would have sold to his Salford contract renewals and new signing. I'm sure he wouldn't have said,,,, we have no ambition, no monies and no chance of moving forward and if you want ambition, etc etc you should go elsewhere enable it.

BTW - I'm not a Salford supporter... and no fan type axe to grind... just making an observation..

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, redjonn said:

As I said Watson wanted to further his career was is what most would do - no problems their.

The point I was making was what or how he sold the club to those whom renewed their contracts recently and the likes of Callum Watkins - as per my comment. Not about his choice to go or reasons as I would assume he was being sincere in selling the club and all the rest... yet as it turned out it wasn't really sincere what he would have sold... I'm sure the players would not of renewed or sign anew if he had said the type of things you say he may think of Salford...

 Not whether Salford was the right place for his ambitions, although I would assume that's what he would have sold to his Salford contract renewals and new signing. I'm sure he wouldn't have said,,,, we have no ambition, no monies and no chance of moving forward and if you want ambition, etc etc you should go elsewhere enable it.

BTW - I'm not a Salford supporter... and no fan type axe to grind... just making an observation..

Surely he sold them the view of the club... that view can still be there dependent on who they get in as the new coach... 

Same as the coach selling you on the club but being sacked.. the ambition of the club is still there 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Suspect amongst other things Watson may have been somewhat frustrated at Salford by the 3 win deduction which ended theyre play off hopes?  Having said that, his stock has never been higher and probably a good time for him to personally cash in with a very big pay rise elsewhere at a club on a sound footing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RP London said:

Surely he sold them the view of the club... that view can still be there dependent on who they get in as the new coach... 

Same as the coach selling you on the club but being sacked.. the ambition of the club is still there 

maybe  but the comment said a reason he may be leaving was the  lack of ambition of the club and to be able to back that up with the investment,.... so he would have been selling a false promise given he didn't believe it really believe given the comment as why  he probably left for a club that offered the mmmmmm ambition, etc

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, redjonn said:

As I said Watson wanted to further his career was is what most would do - no problems their.

The point I was making was what or how he sold the club to those whom renewed their contracts recently and the likes of Callum Watkins - as per my comment. Not about his choice to go or reasons as I would assume he was being sincere in selling the club and all the rest... yet as it turned out it wasn't really sincere what he would have sold... I'm sure the players would not of renewed or sign anew if he had said the type of things you say he may think of Salford...

 Not whether Salford was the right place for his ambitions, although I would assume that's what he would have sold to his Salford contract renewals and new signing. I'm sure he wouldn't have said,,,, we have no ambition, no monies and no chance of moving forward and if you want ambition, etc etc you should go elsewhere enable it.

BTW - I'm not a Salford supporter... and no fan type axe to grind... just making an observation..

I'm not suggesting he sold the club knowing he was lying and leaving, i'm suggesting maybe the club have told him they will back him up with the ambitions and to big the club up to potential new and existing players and tell them this when the club may have let Watson down knowing they weren't going to materialise, obviously the club won't have said we have no money or ambition but pretend we have, Watson doesn't come across as that type of guy, he seems open and frank and i'm pretty sure would have been confident in selling the club based on what the club have sold to him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, redjonn said:

maybe  but the comment said a reason he may be leaving was the  lack of ambition of the club and to be able to back that up with the investment,.... so he would have been selling a false promise given he didn't believe it really believe given the comment as why  he probably left for a club that offered the mmmmmm ambition, etc

To be fair what is said in public and what is true in these circumstances i would say could be 2 different things.. 

Club ambition vs squad ambition.. etc

As I say for the players the proof will be in who they bring in as new coach and what he goes on to say... none of the players are idiots and they would have known something like this or Watson getting the sack after a poor start could easily happen.. if the club has ambition we'll soon see.. if they don't there may be a mass exodus in the off season because they were sold down the river. 

The next appointment is perhaps the most important in Salfords super league history. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DG70 said:

Suspect amongst other things Watson may have been somewhat frustrated at Salford by the 3 win deduction which ended theyre play off hopes?  Having said that, his stock has never been higher and probably a good time for him to personally cash in with a very big pay rise elsewhere at a club on a sound footing.

From what i've been told it's nowhere near a 'very big pay rise' as some seem to think but more the chance to take on an ambitious club with better prospects in the long run.

He's already alluded to the fact we have some excellent academy players and it i'll be a luxury to him to be able to call upon them when he's short of players, something he could never do at Salford no matter how long he stayed there.

Edited by daz39
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, daz39 said:

I'm not suggesting he sold the club knowing he was lying and leaving, i'm suggesting maybe the club have told him they will back him up with the ambitions and to big the club up to potential new and existing players and tell them this when the club may have let Watson down knowing they weren't going to materialise, obviously the club won't have said we have no money or ambition but pretend we have, Watson doesn't come across as that type of guy, he seems open and frank and i'm pretty sure would have been confident in selling the club based on what the club have sold to him.

Maybe but I though Watkins signing was a example of being prepared to back up the ambition.  He may be past his absolute best but is still a relative high class signing in SL.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, redjonn said:

Maybe but I thought Watkins signing was a example of being prepared to back up the ambition.  He may be past his absolute best but is still a relative high class signing in SL.

I think the trick is to simply hope the new coach makes a fist of the job.

There is no reason SRD can't continue to improve and progress, the foundations are there, a couple of players in key positions and they're there TBH.

Everything else is yesterday.

 

  • Like 2

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, John Boriston said:

No disrespect to Ian Watson, but he is old news now and this thread is now sterile, the only item of interest on this episode is who will be the next Coach at Salford.

Any sensible ideas out there?

I thank you

They're all sensible. The title made it more about Watto so people playing guess the reason or some such couldn't fight the temptation to comment.

Rumour has it ( or should I have said a source close to the club told me ) Waney has thrown his hat in the ring but not Rowley.

I don't have a club source but I'm trying to get a job at the Sun, if that doesn't work I'm going to blame immigrants for the poor refereeing and beer standards in Rugby League in an attempt to join the Mail.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Oxford said:

They're all sensible. The title made it more about Watto so people playing guess the reason or some such couldn't fight the temptation to comment.

Rumour has it ( or should I have said a source close to the club told me ) Waney has thrown his hat in the ring but not Rowley.

I don't have a club source but I'm trying to get a job at the Sun, if that doesn't work I'm going to blame immigrants for the poor refereeing and beer standards in Rugby League in an attempt to join the Mail.

 

 

Wane has ambitions to coach in the NRL, he’s openly said that, I doubt if he’d see Salford as a step in that direction. Hull maybe, as they could be much bigger and better than they are. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Wane has ambitions to coach in the NRL, he’s openly said that, I doubt if he’d see Salford as a step in that direction. Hull maybe, as they could be much bigger and better than they are. 

Interesting, as I said Rumour has it .....

Ratchford & Orr also in that rumour

Hope it done so we can announce Friday

"We're building something special here, so it was an easy choice to sign for a few more years,"

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Segovia Carpet said:

Daz - Your comments are based on the fact that you have a wealthy Chairman who is in his eighties.

Salford & Huddersfield have similar set ups and crowds but thankfully we don`t have a cow bell.

So - once Ken goes you will see the Giants live within their means and.................maybe lack the ambition you talk about.

I was just saying what i picked up from Watson.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Oxford said:

They're all sensible. The title made it more about Watto so people playing guess the reason or some such couldn't fight the temptation to comment.

Rumour has it ( or should I have said a source close to the club told me ) Waney has thrown his hat in the ring but not Rowley.

I don't have a club source but I'm trying to get a job at the Sun, if that doesn't work I'm going to blame immigrants for the poor refereeing and beer standards in Rugby League in an attempt to join the Mail.

 

 

I did see a suggestion on a RL site that Bobby Goulding was throwing his hat in the ring for the job and that is very definitely not a ‘sensible suggestion.’

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, John Boriston said:

I did see a suggestion on a RL site that Bobby Goulding was throwing his hat in the ring for the job and that is very definitely not a ‘sensible suggestion.’

Too true I'm afraid a few SRD fans might commit hari kiri by falling on their season ticket if that happens!

I don't like to have a go at someone steeped in the game so I'll leave it there.

Of course he might be the only option cheap enough!

Edited by Oxford

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...