York’s Super League Bid promo video

On 26/11/2020 at 12:51, Harry Stottle said:

Me, I will never ever undersrand the attraction that game brings

It's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, Harry!

But to be fair it's only like believing there are two codes of Rugby or rvrn that they're similar.

6 minutes ago, WeAreYork said:

York is bigger than ............... Oxford,

No it isn't, I'm a giant among men!

Good luck with the bid.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, AB Knight said:

In Yorks case I don’t think going from standing to seating makes much of a difference - York folk are a strange old bunch in that the majority choose to sit and will happily pay extra to do so. Most games when York had the longhurst (terrace stand behind the sticks) open there were at best 200-300 York fans mixed in with the away support. Meanwhile the main stand (seated) would be sold out or only a handful of seats remaining.

Likewise at away games - most Knights fans chose to sit; at Barrow, at Workington, Halifax, Dewsbury etc majority headed for the seats. I’m struggling to think of any other teams who’s fans prefer to sit at away games. 

But surely that's only because the standing areas are behind the sticks so offer a poor view? 

When York played at Ryedale stadium plenty of people stood in the popular stand as it was along the touchline so you could get near the half way line. 

27 minutes ago, WeAreYork said:

I'm glad we live in a compact City. Like you say it's easy to walk around, although I  wouldn't fancy walking from Acomb to Monks Cross! Acomb to Heslington is about 4 miles, so if you're doing that in half an hour, you're a hell of a walker!

I've lived all over the country when I was in the Forces. York is bigger than Portsmouth, Brighton, Exeter, Oxford, Cambridge to name a few cities I've lived in and around. Norwich is about the same size. Historical cities are generally very compact, and easy to get around. We don't have the big industrial areas that other cities have, that have wasteland that sprawls for miles.

There's so much potential here for a big successful club, especially with the amount of young fans we have now. I see a lot more people in Knights shirts than any other RL shirt, which wouldn't have been the case even two or three years ago. The club connects so well with it's support in the region, as well as constantly trying to attract new support. Everything is about growing the game here, and to see the amount of people getting onboard with it is amazing to see. The first time I saw York play was at Huntington Stadium in around 2001. I was 14, we got battered by Workington, and the attendance was around 250, and about 100 of them were Workington fans. Plenty of ups and downs since then of course, but nothing comes close to the up we're on now! Long may it continue.

Rambled on a bit there, apologies.

Up tha Super League Kneets!

I was meaning hob(nob) moor to heslington road area...not sure the distance of that but I can comfortably walk a mile in 13-15 minutes. Comes from walking 14 miles a day 6 days a week. That and having very long legs!

I know what you mean about ups and downs. My first York game was a Wednesday night in 2016. I’d become fed up trekking over to Castleford and decided to see what my local team had to offer. York struggled to break down Coventry in front of 451 fans. I remember the ball being kicked up in the air and it landed on the refs head who had no idea what the ruling was! A matter of weeks later there was threats about winding up the club due to not being allowed to use the stadium (can’t remember the details).

Meanwhile my mates continued to follow Cas and just a few months later Cas started an all conquering (apart from the grand final) season. I stuck with York, you could sense the relief when they got their first win under the new regime against South Wales by a mere 2 points (later to become West Wales of course). The club haven’t looked back.

6 minutes ago, gavin7094 said:

But surely that's only because the standing areas are behind the sticks so offer a poor view? 

When York played at Ryedale stadium plenty of people stood in the popular stand as it was along the touchline so you could get near the half way line. 

I actually prefer to stand behind the sticks but that’s just me. I’m led to believe most other clubs away fans at 3 of those grounds (Dewsbury, Barrow, Workington) stand in the terrace along the touch lines.

I’ve also noticed we prefer to space out a bit - eg at Odsal some sat in the main stand, some stood under the touchdown bar, some in the middle of the terrace, some in the terrace right at the side nearest to the corporate facilities. Same at Fev, we had pockets of fans in each stand. 

Long term I hope we learn to group together!

1 hour ago, AB Knight said:

I actually prefer to stand behind the sticks but that’s just me. I’m led to believe most other clubs away fans at 3 of those grounds (Dewsbury, Barrow, Workington) stand in the terrace along the touch lines.

I’ve also noticed we prefer to space out a bit - eg at Odsal some sat in the main stand, some stood under the touchdown bar, some in the middle of the terrace, some in the terrace right at the side nearest to the corporate facilities. Same at Fev, we had pockets of fans in each stand. 

most of york, s away fan,s do prefer the touchline where in my opinion you get a balance of play in both halves , for more of us being together you probably have to join the majority on the touchline .

1 hour ago, georgeb1 said:

most of york, s away fan,s do prefer the touchline where in my opinion you get a balance of play in both halves , for more of us being together you probably have to join the majority on the touchline .

Oh I will always go on the touch line with York fans but if they have decided to sit down and there’s standing available for £5 cheaper I’ll go with that option every day of the week. I’m a Yorkshireman after all!

Hope you are well anyway J 🙂

3 hours ago, gavin7094 said:

That was my thought. At Bootham Crescent, the view from the David Longhurst Stand is very poor. It's why I sit (and I don't like sitting) in the main stand when I watch York.

Mind you, the DLS view is a lot better than behind the posts at Ryedale/Huntington Stadium used to be!

16 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

Yep, I don't get why people are still making all seater venues outside of the PL at a time when things like rail seating are turning the tide back in favour of safe standing. The atmosphere is night and day between seating and standing.

Sadly it was a non-negotiable requirement in order to turn the £2m loan from the Football Stadia Fund into a grant. All parties pleaded for safe standing to meet the requirement instead but they were having none of it.

6 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

Sadly it was a non-negotiable requirement in order to turn the £2m loan from the Football Stadia Fund into a grant. All parties pleaded for safe standing to meet the requirement instead but they were having none of it.

Yeah wasn't a dig at York, more stadium companys and the authorities in general. 

7 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

It wasn't a problem for the grant Leigh/Horwich RMI got for the LSV 

8 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

It wasn't a problem for the grant Leigh/Horwich RMI got for the LSV 

That’s strange, you’d think 2 stadiums opened 12 years apart would have the same terms and requirements applied to them. It’s not like much has happened in those 12 years....

Anyway can’t stay and chat, I’ve an email here from Thomas Cook from 2008 offering me really good exchange rates. Time to get a great deal on my 2021 holiday money 😉

2 hours ago, AB Knight said:

That’s strange, you’d think 2 stadiums opened 12 years apart would have the same terms and requirements applied to them. It’s not like much has happened in those 12 years....

Anyway can’t stay and chat, I’ve an email here from Thomas Cook from 2008 offering me really good exchange rates. Time to get a great deal on my 2021 holiday money 😉

If anything the regs have become less requiring of all seater in that time , but to each their own 

37 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Do you think we are lying?

Tbh Gav I’d always trust someone on an RL forum over someone who actually handles multi million pound building contracts as their job. 

41 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

No insinuation in my post whatsoever Gavin , I don't see how that could be construed 

Just out of interest , did they ask the fans ?

Yes. All the fans wanted it, as did the clubs. Terms of the football foundation loan stated it had to be all seater, so other than the clubs and fans finding £2m of their own it had to be as per the terms.

Once the clubs are in things could change though, if someone wants to pay for rail seating to be fitted. 

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

1 minute ago, Simon Hall said:

Yes. All the fans wanted it, as did the clubs. Terms of the football foundation loan stated it had to be all seater, so other than the clubs and fans finding £2m of their own it had to be as per the terms.

Once the clubs are in things could change though, if someone wants to pay for rail seating to be fitted. 

I asked because at Leigh they did a survey with 3 options as I recall 

Another video from York 

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

On 28/11/2020 at 09:26, AB Knight said:

The advantage is we can easily see from anywhere in the ground if you are in Pete 😂

Archived