Is it happening???

Christ almighty...Manly Sea Eagles. Wouldn’t have put those two names together.

Newcastle Knights (Andrew Johns). Should have got that one. Sydney Roosters, likewise. 

Penrith is the other (again, harder to identify Sydney teams)

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Are you suggesting those Aussies who don't know all the SL clubs , and some of the bigger Championship clubs are stupid ? 

No, I'm suggesting that without any serious knowledge of a sports league you could guess where the clubs were based because they'd be in the major cities you've heard of. 

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I know there's a lot of them from Sydney 

And where else? Did they not teach you capitals after your 11+?

1 minute ago, DC77 said:

Christ almighty...Manly Sea Eagles. Wouldn’t have put those two names together.

Newcastle Knights (Andrew Johns). Should have got that one. Sydney Roosters, likewise. 

Penrith is the other (again, harder to identify Sydney teams)

Penrith is miles away from Sydney CBD, like 70km away, but still comes under Sydney I suppose! 😂

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

No, I'm suggesting that without any serious knowledge of a sports league you could guess where the clubs were based because they'd be in the major cities you've heard of. 

And where else? Did they not teach you capitals after your 11+?

Yes I know there's Melbourne and Canberra , that's where most of the Brits have gone , but most of them are in Sydney 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Yes I know there's Melbourne and Canberra , that's where most of the Brits have gone , but most of them are in Sydney 

Not even Brisbane! But there you go, between those 4 you've got a lot! Next week you can tell us where you think it would be in New Zealand!

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Not even Brisbane! But there you go, between those 4 you've got a lot! Next week you can tell us where you think it would be in New Zealand!

Ah well I've lived in NZ , so my geographical knowledge of there is probably better than yours 

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Ah well I've lived in NZ , so my geographical knowledge of there is probably better than yours 

Oh fair whereabouts? I played there on tour and have cousins that live there too. Lovely country I'd love to live in if the opportunity arose

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Oh fair whereabouts? I played there on tour and have cousins that live there too. Lovely country I'd love to live in if the opportunity arose

I left and came home when I was 17 , my parents followed 12 months later , my brother still lives there 

We lived in Upper Hutt , just north of Wellington 

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

No, but considering its at least 50km away from "Sydney" that everyone would recognize it puts into perspective our quibbles.

So it's not a city , it's a town , how about Parramatta , is that a city ? 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

I left and came home when I was 17 , my parents followed 12 months later , my brother still lives there 

Fair, my cousins are Hawkes Bay so a fair bit north of there. I liked Auckland a lot, stayed there on tour and were hosted for a couple of nights.

22 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Fair, my cousins are Hawkes Bay so a fair bit north of there. I liked Auckland a lot, stayed there on tour and were hosted for a couple of nights.

Hawkes Bay is nice , Napier too went to Thunder Park drag strip near Hastings Boxing day 1977 

2 hours ago, DC77 said:

, South Sydney Rabbitohs (always thought that word is confusing..Rabbits works for me),

There`s a great cutting I have of an old photo that was printed in the newspaper years ago that shows a man standing on the back of a horse and cart handing an unskinned rabbit carcass to a women on the street. During the depression, and probably before that as well, it was not uncommon for families to be unable to afford beef, chicken and probably pork, some men would catch rabbits in the parks and open country that surrounded Sydney, they would then bring their catch into the impoverished inner city suburbs, like South Sydney, calling ` Rabbitoh... Rabbitoh...` and the people would come onto the street and purchase what was their only source of meat.

Hence the South Sydney Rabbitohs. They were the bloke who sold the rabbits.

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Penrith is miles away from Sydney CBD, like 70km away, but still comes under Sydney I suppose! 😂

With Australia being so vast in Aussie terms that’s considered close though isn’t it? 

My sis in law in Texas talks about taking a drive to the next city 280 miles away like it’s next door, which here in Ireland is the equivalent of going from one end of the country to the other. 

In England, Liverpool and Manchester, two completely different cites and people, separated by just 30 miles, in Aus they could be considered as though they were on top of each other.

Of the three teams I couldn’t remember Newcastle is the one I should have got first, even more so than Sydney Roosters, as it is a distinct place. Recall watching Billy Connelly’s tour of Aus series years ago and there was a big shipwreck sticking out of the water in Newcastle. 

36 minutes ago, DC77 said:

With Australia being so vast in Aussie terms that’s considered close though isn’t it? 

My sis in law in Texas talks about taking a drive to the next city 280 miles away like it’s next door, which here in Ireland is the equivalent of going from one end of the country to the other. 

In England, Liverpool and Manchester, two completely different cites and people, separated by just 30 miles, in Aus they could be considered as though they were on top of each other.

Of the three teams I couldn’t remember Newcastle is the one I should have got first, even more so than Sydney Roosters, as it is a distinct place. Recall watching Billy Connelly’s tour of Aus series years ago and there was a big shipwreck sticking out of the water in Newcastle. 

It's definitely an outer suburb. It's still pretty close.

My local comp has us traveling 200km one way. It's all relative I guess.

new rise.jpg

6 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Upper Hutt bro. Is still part of Wellington, although it's a fair way out. Went to the Dooley school there.

3 hours ago, Pulga said:

My local comp has us traveling 200km one way. It's all relative I guess.

Is it a different distance coming back?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 hours ago, DC77 said:

I’ve done a 200km round trip for a regular season junior (young teens) soccer match and have done plenty of 130km round trips for regular season  junior rugby league matches with players as young as 6.

Archived