Super League clubs reject private equity proposal

1 hour ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I would imagine he consulted a number of people, particularly his fellow RFL directors, but at the end of the day as the CEO the decision was his.

And there's just one other thing to note about the proposed new broadcast deal.

With £29 million per annum looking like the offer, it's worth bearing in mind that that figure has not been negotiated by Super League, but by consultants hired by Super League.

And in my experience consultants normally pocket between 10 and 15 per cent of the deal they negotiate.

I don't know whether that is true in this case, but it is highly likely.

So the net figure received by Super League will be about £3 million less than that per year.

If it is consultants who are negotiating with Sky,and not Elstone,why was there a need for Elstone to be brought into the sport? I presume negotiators,and not the RFL,were used for the talks about the current deal all those years ago.

I am failing to see any commercial success for Super League.Emulating on-field changes made in Australia,and logo changes suggested by Sky,seem to nullify any action/reaction suggestions made about the ' work ' that Elstone has been doing.

A lot of money may have been better spent on coaches and development officers in places some miles from the M62.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LeeF said:

Part of the long running issues with Headingley was that, at one time, the ownership of the entire site was complex with at least 3 parties owning part of the site. This was one of the reasons the redevelopment of the cricket ground took so long etc.

L&G are basically the funders. The council have provided some form of guarantee on the basis that both clubs bring a lot into the city.

Did both clubs need the redevelopment. Undoubtedly. Can both afford it. The RL club a definite yes. The cricket club probably now that they have retained their guaranteed international status. Is the redevelopment first rate. Again yes

Who were the third party? Leeds owned the entire site until they sold the cricket ground to Yorkshire about 18 years ago. There are complications for sure in the revenue and site sharing between the two clubs but I'm not aware Yorkshire have sold any of theirs on to a third party - although nothing would surprise me given the state of their finances.

29 minutes ago, M j M said:

Who were the third party? Leeds owned the entire site until they sold the cricket ground to Yorkshire about 18 years ago. There are complications for sure in the revenue and site sharing between the two clubs but I'm not aware Yorkshire have sold any of theirs on to a third party - although nothing would surprise me given the state of their finances.

I can’t remember exactly as it was a fair few years ago but the story was part of the cricket ground wasn’t owned by YCCC. It was around the time that they built the Carnegie Pavilion. 

23 hours ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

The accounts show broadcast income of circa £10m to RFL 

Super league europe got £27.3m in 2019 

Now RFL get a £2m share so Super league gets very close to £30m.

Overall income is therefore just under £40m. 

I think Sky paid £200m over 5 years, but some of the money was paid early and distributed early. 

I also think Sky sub licensed challenge cup and internationals so BBC pay in low millions a year for these. 

Therefore it's easier to see it as £30m Sky for Super league (RFL get a small share) 

£10m Sky and BBC for RFL (What we dont know is how much BBC pay- which is what RFL are looking at from 2022) 

Take away the relatively small sum awarded to SL from SKY, how did the largess that was left just disappear down the toilet?

15 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Take away the relatively small sum awarded to SL from SKY, how did the largess that was left just disappear down the toilet?

Largesse = a gift or money given (as for service or out of benevolence); usually given ostentatiously

Try again RP.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

20 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Largesse = a gift or money given (as for service or out of benevolence); usually given ostentatiously

Try again RP.

The point is what happened to it?  Has the Championship thrived? Large sums of money wasted away to the top favoured championship teams in an effort to get one or two of them into superleague.

2 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

The point is what happened to it?  Has the Championship thrived? Large sums of money wasted away to the top favoured championship teams in an effort to get one or two of them into superleague.

You never stop banging this drum, do you?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

20 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

You never stop banging this drum, do you?

No.

Have you noticed that the woman, brought in by Boris back in April and who was put in charge of developing and managing the 'Vaccine Tasforce", was a venture capitalist?  You know, one of those evil venture capitalists that are  decried flat cap rugby league supporters?

And she is doing it for free.  Read it in the Times. The latest vaccine to be produced in North East was announced yesterday.

Enterprise and Invention are just 2 of the things that RL would get along with Investment if we got the right partnership. 

2 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

No.

Have you noticed that the woman, brought in by Boris back in April and who was put in charge of developing and managing the 'Vaccine Tasforce", was a venture capitalist?  You know, one of those evil venture capitalists that are  decried flat cap rugby league supporters?

And she is doing it for free.  Read it in the Times. The latest vaccine to be produced in North East was announced yesterday.

Enterprise and Invention are just 2 of the things that RL would get along with Investment if we got the right partnership. 

You're just mindlessly trolling now.

57 minutes ago, M j M said:

You're just mindlessly trolling now.

No.  But you and your friends are the blind leading the blind.

RL is behind the 8 ball.  And you don't even see it.

Rugby League needs investment, experience and support. 

24 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

No.  But you and your friends are the blind leading the blind.

RL is behind the 8 ball.  And you don't even see it.

Rugby League needs investment, experience and support. 

What would they spend the money on ?

4 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

No.

You either have a short attention span or you are deliberately avoiding the point. Where vaccine development comes into relevance regarding distribution monies going to Championship clubs evades me, unless you hope that Dido will be the next CEO of SLE.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

You either have a short attention span or you are deliberately avoiding the point. Where vaccine development comes into relevance regarding distribution monies going to Championship clubs evades me, unless you hope that Dido will be the next CEO of SLE.

When the example you're citing of what benefits could be brought to the game is one of the most spectacular failures of public policy in the country's history, which ended with your heroine resigning in disgrace, then most people might back off and have a rethink.

Not it appears our lad Rupes.

4 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

You are missing a lot.  RL needs people with investment and enterprise.  It's losing out.   It's not like putting men on the moon, but as an example, without the game producing players then it will starve. 

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

You are missing a lot.  RL needs people with investment and enterprise.  It's losing out.   It's not like putting men on the moon, but as an example, without the game producing players then it will starve. 

What would you spend the money on ?

15 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Do you just throw out random thoughts?

34 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Do you just throw out random thoughts?

He is brainstorming. Or, on the grounds that this term insensitive to people with cerebral disorders, he is 'thought showering'.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

He is brainstorming. Or, on the grounds that this term insensitive to people with cerebral disorders, he is 'thought showering'.

Ha ha...  

I read that New Zealand Rugby Union are valued at 2 Billion dollars and are selling 15% to a private equity company.

How would you spend 300 million dollars?

More to the point, how does rugby league defend itself from all the other sports that want to poach our potential players? And their spectators.  And the available band width on the airwaves?

20 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

How would you spend 300 million dollars?

Well personally, I would create a space launch pad in a hollowed out volcano, assemble a selection of perfect physical specimens, destroy human life by launching 50 globes that would dispense the nerve gas into Earth's atmosphere and then repopulate the earth and establish Rugby League as the dominant football code.

Ambitious but doable.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Well personally, I would create a space launch pad in a hollowed out volcano, assemble a selection of perfect physical specimens, destroy human life by launching 50 globes that would dispense the nerve gas into Earth's atmosphere and then repopulate the earth and establish Rugby League as the dominant football code.

Ambitious but doable.

Been watching ' Moonraker ' have we ? 😁

19 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Ambitious but doable.

I'm sure many inquiring minds, when considering such a brilliant scheme, will be curious.

Will you have a cat and if so, would it be possible for it to moonlight as the UK Prime Minister for a few hours a week? 😂

3 minutes ago, CanaBull said:

I'm sure many inquiring minds, when considering such a brilliant scheme, will be curious.

Will you have a cat and if so, would it be possible for it to moonlight as the UK Prime Minister for a few hours a week? 😂

Yes. And I would employ one of the more athletic and intelligent Rugby Union second row forwards as my henchman. 

5 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Yes. And I would employ one of the more athletic and intelligent Rugby Union second row forwards as my henchman. 

The flaw in the cunning plan.

Archived