Loveable Rogues

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thinking of rogues as opposed to thugs. I guess Rangi Chase at Cas and Ben Cockayne at Hull KR would be two in recent times.  Both would love going over the top and baiting the crowd at Wakefield.  Good laugh though.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Just now, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Wakefield Trinity RLFC

I've sifted and sampled through this thread and have yet to find the lovable bit!

All a bit Sky commentary for mine: " Not a mean bone in his body!" after someone's head's been knocked off!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

5 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

There is a difference between Lovable Rogue and Nut Jobs !  Most mentioned are Nut Jobs !!!😂😂

Tony Cottrell at Leigh was a Lovable Rogue because he just hated everyone and laughed with it. Off the field - Gentleman, but would have a go at any Nutter of the opposition and absolutely detested Henderson Gill !!

Les Boyd - Nutter , but I spoke to Les a few years ago at a Sportsmans dinner about Tony Cottrell and he was fully aware of him !! Lovely bloke and when he wanted to play Rugby, was one of the best.

Tamati - Hard ! as was Kurt Sorenson. Them Kiwis don't mess about.

I wouldnt say there are really any dirty players in todays game. The most recent enforcers are probably Gorden Tallis and Ron Gibbs in Australia and who would mess with Peacock and Sculthorpe, both of whom are just hard lads without being dirty.

Tim Street in his younger days was just a lunatic. Lost Leigh plenty of games, but showed his quality when matured. Always the first to drive it in after a Melee. Loved the biff.

I do wish the niggle was brought back into the game along with a good old shoulder charge. All this wrestling lark isnt good viewing at times. Lets hope we get some packed houses back soon this season. We all need a break !

The modern game just doesn't allow for the "enforcers" as you call them anymore. It really doesn't take much to get sent off these days, and then you've pretty much cost your team the game and got a few match ban to boot. Make no mistake though, there are still plenty of hard as nails lads playing these days who could have looked after themselves in any era.

6 hours ago, MZH said:

The modern game just doesn't allow for the "enforcers" as you call them anymore. It really doesn't take much to get sent off these days,

I would suggest Shaun O'Loughlin being the exception to that rule?

Wakefield Trinity RLFC

The game needs characters,but downright thuggery should be heavily enforced.Spectators at Ice Hockey matches expect two or three flare ups in a game.How often has a match been sparked into life by an incident between players.It gets the crowd going and usally for the next 10 min the tempo increases dramatically.I would rather see a tight game with a bit of niggle than watch a 42_30 scoreline.But that is my choice  i like it gritty.

Remember Jack Fairbank getting sent off in a C Cup replay at Central Park after a punch up with Eric Ashton. A long time ago, mid week replay with 3pm kick off as there were no floodlights then. We were allowed out of school early so we could go. Or more likely so the teachers could go.     

As a wire fan I remember  Mike nicko, another man who was a real nutter on the pitch but a really friendly gent off it. 

2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16

2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6

2011 League Leaders Shield Winners

2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

21 hours ago, Father Ted said:

Remember Jack Fairbank getting sent off in a C Cup replay at Central Park after a punch up with Eric Ashton. A long time ago, mid week replay with 3pm kick off as there were no floodlights then. We were allowed out of school early so we could go. Or more likely so the teachers could go.     

Yes we were at school playing games and somehow the score came through 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Archived