• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Of course it would be stupid to look a gift horse in the mouth, and lets face it both grounds however much they pull on the supporters heart strings desperately need renewed.  But the sceptic in me st

I didn’t post the topic to start arguments and set fans against each other. At the end of the day we are all entitled to an opinion and there’s nothing wrong with a good debate. All the points hi

Does anyone know if this Town funding thing is a loan or an grant? There's nothing on the government site or in the letter that the oaf has put on his Facebook page to show which it is. I still t

39 minutes ago, rockerlad said:

surley it would make sense? got to keep the money local and use as many local firms as possible??

Would hope so, they've built pitches at top stadiums round the world and are one of the best.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, David69 said:

A question to ask? Was the pitch going to be  3g or 4g etc not grass.?they say it for community use too. Its ok for rugby league to play on as newcastle and widnes etc can play on it. But if the reds has aspirations to get in football league, you carn't have synthetic pitches must be grass.

Yes its got to be grass for soccer - cant have any of the prima donnas hurting themselves when they are diving and rolling around pretending to be hurt!

Famous Quote "Football Is 90 Minutes Pretending You Are Hurt, Rugby Is 80 Minutes Pretending You Re Not"

8 hours ago, David69 said:

A question to ask? Was the pitch going to be  3g or 4g etc not grass.?they say it for community use too. Its ok for rugby league to play on as newcastle and widnes etc can play on it. But if the reds has aspirations to get in football league, you carn't have synthetic pitches must be grass.

That's a bit of a daft statement that "Its ok for rugby league to play on artificial. But not soccer"? when you think about the nature of both games.

Plus you have to be very, very careful about having aspirations on here or you will be shot down by your fellow reds fan DTTRR who started throwing around facts from 25 year ago about bankruptcy etc, cos we are only a small town with no fans, no money ,no population, not close to big city's and no business etc.

That was when i said Town only need 2 promotion to reach top league and reds need 8 promotions to do same.?

However in my opinion its like a breath of fresh air hearing you have a bit of ambition!

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, Derwent Parker said:

That's a bit of a daft statement that "Its ok for rugby league to play on artificial. But not soccer"? when you think about the nature of both games.

Plus you have to be very, very careful about having aspirations on here or you will be shot down by your fellow reds fan DTTRR who started throwing around facts from 25 year ago about bankruptcy etc, cos we are only a small town with no fans, no money ,no population, not close to big city's and no business etc.

That was when i said Town only need 2 promotion to reach top league and reds need 8 promotions to do same.?

However in my opinion its like a breath of fresh air hearing you have a bit of ambition!

What’s with the personal attacks?

I think this is the third time you’ve had a pop, so for the record  I think you need to actually try reading my previous posts, if you’re struggling ask someone to read them for you.

For the purposes of clarification I’ll try and make this as easy as possible for you to follow:

A) I am an RL fan, I have attended Town games since the mid-70s.

B) I do not attend Reds matches on a regular basis, although I do follow their results and there’s is one of the first results I look for as I want them to do well.

.....are you still following???

C) The clue is in the name ‘TotalRLforum’ - so this means that supporters have the opportunity to debate with their fellow RL fans on many subjects. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, they don’t all have to agree with yours Derwent Parker.

D) location of the ground, I’ll be totally honest here, I couldn’t give a rats ###### whether it’s built at Derwent Park or Borough Park, both grounds are sad tired old stadiums, Derwent Park is marginally better than Borough Park, but only because it has a grandstand.

E) ambition - don’t make me laugh, there’s nothing I would like more than to eat my words about the capacity of the new stadium, but I’ll stand by what I’ve previously said in that 5,000 is more than ample for Allerdale, but if you want a 10,000 capacity stadium can I suggest you start a crowd funding page to raise the difference in construction costs.

F) Facts - you highlight me stating facts, well actually facts are a useful tool, for example, it’s a fact that neither Town or Reds have regularly pulled in average crowds of over 5,000 for over 50 years, probably closer to 60 years, so based on that analogy a 5,000 ish capacity would work for the area.

it’s a fact that very few professional sports clubs pull in more than 2-3% of the local Population to watch their games.

Fact - in the last 40 years Town have spent 3 seasons in the top division, Reds have been lower league semi - pro since 1978.

Fact - Town’s last dalliance with success did result in the club going bankrupt, same with Whitehaven and also Barrow, try asking yourself why that was?

It would be superb to see Town in Superleague and Reds in the conference but both clubs would require huge personal investment as neither can generate the revenue through the turnstiles, plus there isn’t the industry locally for large sponsorship deals. 

but hey, don’t let facts spoil a good debate eh marra ! 😉

Edited by Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Like 2

There were a few factors which caused Town to go into administration after relegation from Superleague in 1996, but as I recall the biggest was the decision by that giant of the game, little Mo Lindsay, to reduce the parachute payment just before the end of the 96 season from £850k (the full annual RFL payment) to just £100k, when it looked certain that we (and not his beloved PSG) would finish bottom. That resulting shortfall was the straw that broke the camel’s back. Fact.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Joe Aitcheson said:

There were a few factors which caused Town to go into administration after relegation from Superleague in 1996, but as I recall the biggest was the decision by that giant of the game, little Mo Lindsay, to reduce the parachute payment just before the end of the 96 season from £850k (the full annual RFL payment) to just £100k, when it looked certain that we (and not his beloved PSG) would finish bottom. That resulting shortfall was the straw that broke the camel’s back. Fact.

Correct - the only team ever not to get Parachute payment.  Meaning town had to lose all the players that year.

Something that has never happened since.

9 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

No - dont give them ideas - we are already aiming low compared to what we were promised

Aiming low or merely in touch with reality ?

Town like Haven & Barrow have no chance of ever reaching Superleague they struggle to compete in the Championship and with the likelihood of central funding cuts it will be a huge ask to merely survive so a new 5000 stadium with a modern multifunctional Grandstand is more than enough.

Most new build small stadiums consist of 1 main stand with semi permanent stands on the other 3 sides which can if needed be expanded,I believe FC United’s ground alone cost £6 million but bigger builds like York & Wimbledon were in the region of £30-40 million which far exceeds the available budget.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Joe Aitcheson said:

Correct Joe, plus the fact that in those days player contracts weren’t declared void after relegation, which they are now. So Town were left with SL sized contracts to pay without any SL income.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally