Lenagan to sell his stake in Wigan

7 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

When there's a binding agreement to sell, then effectively it has been sold, but unlike when the actual sale takes place, nothing in a binding agreement necessarily has to enter the public domain.

Selling a major sports club is necessarily a complex transaction.

The story said he's 'on the verge of selling'. You then said you believe he's already sold it. Now you're saying it's a binding agreement to sell which means the club is already sold.

These details you keep adding surely would have been in the story to begin with? Doesn't make it any less newsworthy. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

When there's a binding agreement to sell, then effectively it has been sold, but unlike when the actual sale takes place, nothing in a binding agreement necessarily has to enter the public domain.

Selling a major sports club is necessarily a complex transaction.

Reporting about a major sports club is certainly a complex transaction.  And with a pen name as well.

"No plans..."  said the club statement.  As Lenagan says, all the editor had to do was speak on the phone to confirm.

But of course if the journalist had tried to corroberate the story, or not... then there would not have been any story and no click bait... and of course no opportunity for any one else to bait Wigan.

FWIW... as I said at the outset Lenagan is 75 and has i believe already disposposed to some of his share to his sister and son.  

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

There’s probably a nugget underneath this, I can’t imagine Martyn would just make something up so clearly somebody he won’t reveal has told told him something - but Leneghan’s right, he should’ve called him to check and included any response 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

7 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

There’s probably a nugget underneath this, I can’t imagine Martyn would just make something up so clearly somebody he won’t reveal has told told him something - but Leneghan’s right, he should’ve called him to check and included any response 

There’s probably a nugget underneath this.

how so?

15 hours ago, JohnM said:

There’s probably a nugget underneath this.

how so?

Because there’s limited motive to pull it out of the air as some imagined concoction. Martyn’s probably been given a nudge by someone inside, and misread the speed or timeline. Still should’ve asked Ian. 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

23 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Quite, as Keith Laird said "there's no smoke without fire"

10 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Because there’s limited motive to pull it out of the air as some imagined concoction. Martyn’s probably been given a nudge by someone inside, and misread the speed or timeline. Still should’ve asked Ian. 

I suspect Lenagan's fed a message to someone to see if it reaches the press.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived