Wigan should replace Hastings with Shaun Johnson

11 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Not sure Johnson is an upgrade over Hastings in terms of winning rugby. You need to see Hastings live in the flesh to appreciate how he's like a puppet-master pulling the strings.

Johnson is a more exciting player but he blows hot and cold.

Hastings is a big *****a in real life too especially for a half. Makes some crunching challenges

Don't think Johnson would do half the job Jacko does but I agree Johnson would be box office. 

Never quite forgiven him for stepping the line in 2013 against us....  1 minute away we wuz .... 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I have no idea why the idea of Wigan signing Shaun Johnson has been met with so much resistance. 

He has been a world class player and still is when he is on form.  He is only 30 years old and a high profile name.

I for one would love to see him play in Super League. 

He's also be a big hit with the laaaaidies

3 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

people post their opinions etc - other people post their opinions etc in reply to other peoples opinions etc- its the nature of an internet forum - if your using it to buy your weekly big shop from netto your on the wrong thing

If we ever get to meet, I'll buy you a pint for that one. Lol. 

11 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Barba was still at his peak having helped the Sharks win a Premiership in 2016 before joining Saints in 2017.

Johnson hasn't been anywhere near his peak for at least 4-5 years.

As I said, he WAS a great player - now he's just a has been living of past glories.

Johnson was credited with more try assists than anyone in the NRL last year, despite playing for the Sharks and suffering a season ending injury with about 5 games remaining. He was excellent last year. 

3 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Johnson was credited with more try assists than anyone in the NRL last year, despite playing for the Sharks and suffering a season ending injury with about 5 games remaining. He was excellent last year. 

Don't let facts get in the way! He was done 5 years ago 😕

5 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Don't let facts get in the way! He was done 5 years ago 😕

Well not only was he excellent, I agree with you, in the SL, SJ would absolutely light it up. He is also one of the best spoken individuals in RL. Very smart and very articulate. Not sure what Wigan would do with that 😂 but, aside all that, I don’t expect he will be interested in moving to the UK.

11 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Indeed, 23 try assists in 16 games.  Only Jarome Luai equaled 23 assists and he played 23 games.

Jackson Hastings has done very well in Super League but when considering the NRL and international rugby, Johnson is a different class.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

SJ seems to me to be a player who always thought he was worth more than he is. On his best day, he is worth it but is too inconsistent to be paid what he seeks. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

1 hour ago, RayCee said:

SJ seems to me to be a player who always thought he was worth more than he is. On his best day, he is worth it but is too inconsistent to be paid what he seeks. 

That’s because people expect him to play a blinder each week which is impossible, especially when you play for the Warriors or Sharks and don’t have the stock around you to accentuate your performances.

RL if not RU remains tribal.

Johnson at his peak was mercurial and Sinfield gave them a get out of jail card with his  brain fart clearance.

But can you imagine a Wigan side with Williams and Tomkins  back  with their Alma Mater ? Sam's Perpignan pool won't last forever and his investments remain local.

Wigan would be totally unbeatable  with those two.  Marquee surely but why not home grown players for a change? And if Wigan had those two there would certainly be an increase of bums on the seats - home or away. 

Wigan fading into obscurity ?

Post again Scubby in 5 years and I will reply if still around.....

6 minutes ago, del capo said:

RL if not RU remains tribal.

Johnson at his peak was mercurial and Sinfield gave them a get out of jail card with his  brain fart clearance.

But can you imagine a Wigan side with Williams and Tomkins  back  with their Alma Mater ? Sam's Perpignan pool won't last forever and his investments remain local.

Wigan would be totally unbeatable  with those two.  Marquee surely but why not home grown players for a change? And if Wigan had those two there would certainly be an increase of bums on the seats - home or away. 

Wigan fading into obscurity ?

Post again Scubby in 5 years and I will reply if still around.....

I can imagine a lot of the die hard fans think that solution of Tomkins/Williams back pushes them onto another level. The question is can the club actually sell that to the fans that have deserted the club in the last five years? I'm sure people in the ground on match days (before Covid) realised that numbers were dwindling at a worrying rate. My suggestion was that someone like Johnson could be used as a kickstart to create new interest, buzz and media. Tomkins has already come back once and Williams (the good player that he is), is not putting new bums of seats or corporates on Wigan's bottom line. They are winning already and yet it still isn't happening through the turnstiles.

14 hours ago, Dunbar said:

By we, do you mean England? I think we do, his name is Lewis Dodd.  The key question is will he get the chance to shine as Sam Walker has.

I'm trying to find the teamsheet from the Saints V Roosters Academy tour game, I think Walker was the opposing half back to Dodd in that game. Dodd was player of the tour and was outstanding in all the games he played.

Dodd may well get his chance to shine, all depends on whether Fages signs a new contract or not.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

4 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

I'm trying to find the teamsheet from the Saints V Roosters Academy tour game, I think Walker was the opposing half back to Dodd in that game. Dodd was player of the tour and was outstanding in all the games he played.

Dodd may well get his chance to shine, all depends on whether Fages signs a new contract or not.

I was looking for it as well.  Can't see if Walker was playing in that game.

One of the most disappointing aspects of last years Academy tour to Australia being cancelled is not seeing the Dodd vs. Walker battle... they are both great young players.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I can imagine a lot of the die hard fans think that solution of Tomkins/Williams back pushes them onto another level. The question is can the club actually sell that to the fans that have deserted the club in the last five years? I'm sure people in the ground on match days (before Covid) realised that numbers were dwindling at a worrying rate. My suggestion was that someone like Johnson could be used as a kickstart to create new interest, buzz and media. Tomkins has already come back once and Williams (the good player that he is), is not putting new bums of seats or corporates on Wigan's bottom line. They are winning already and it still isn't happening through the turnstiles.

8 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I can imagine a lot of the die hard fans think that solution of Tomkins/Williams back pushes them onto another level. The question is can the club actually sell that to the fans that have deserted the club in the last five years? I'm sure people in the ground on match days (before Covid) realised that numbers were dwindling at a worrying rate. My suggestion was that someone like Johnson could be used as a kickstart to create new interest, buzz and media. Tomkins has already come back once and Williams (the good player that he is), is not putting new bums of seats or corporates on Wigan's bottom line. They are winning already and it still isn't happening through the turnstiles.

Gates are down across the board in all sports apart from PL soccer.

Will Inglis put another thousand on at Wire? Maybe .

But a truly world beating side like Wigan once had, based on local lads, brought a worldwide recognition.

And if Wigan had Tomkins and Williams ( together with a kicker in the Botica/ Richards mould ) then I for one would click the turnstiles  after a number of years absence.

As for corporate involvement at DW that's down to Whelan - no boxes .

But after all perhaps the  RL product itself needs to be examined and re marketed.

10 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Indeed, 23 try assists in 16 games.  Only Jarome Luai equaled 23 assists and he played 23 games.

Jackson Hastings has done very well in Super League but when considering the NRL and international rugby, Johnson is a different class.

And still the Sharks have only offered him a greatly reduced contract despite losing another halfback,his former club won’t touch him with a barge pole and there isn’t exactly a long line of clubs wanting his signature.

2 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

And still the Sharks have only offered him a greatly reduced contract despite losing another halfback,his former club won’t touch him with a barge pole and there isn’t exactly a long line of clubs wanting his signature.

Hastings has 5 years on Johnson and so is certainly the better option to build a team around over the next 2 to 3 years.

Objectively though, I think Johnson is the better player.  You may not, that's ok, we are all entitled to our own opinions, that's what this place is for.

39 minutes ago, del capo said:

Gates are down across the board in all sports apart from PL soccer.

Will Inglis put another thousand on at Wire? Maybe .

But a truly world beating side like Wigan once had, based on local lads, brought a worldwide recognition.

And if Wigan had Tomkins and Williams ( together with a kicker in the Botica/ Richards mould ) then I for one would click the turnstiles  after a number of years absence.

As for corporate involvement at DW that's down to Whelan - no boxes .

But after all perhaps the  RL product itself needs to be examined and re marketed.

Correct and signing one inconsistent NRL player who’s never been considered as one of the games best isn’t going to solve those problems.

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Hastings has 5 years on Johnson and so is certainly the better option to build a team around over the next 2 to 3 years.

Objectively though, I think Johnson is the better player.  You may not, that's ok, we are all entitled to our own opinions, that's what this place is for.

Can’t recall ever saying your not entitled to your own opinion.

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

Can’t recall ever saying your not entitled to your own opinion.

Nope. Neither can I.  Just saying let's agree to disagree as both Hastings and Johnson are great players to watch and we are lucky to have them in the sport.  I am not in any way trying to be confrontational.

13 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Correct and signing one inconsistent NRL player who’s never been considered as one of the games best isn’t going to solve those problems.

Shaun Johnson has won the Golden Boot and named the best player in the world (2014).  Of course he has been considered one of the games best.

14 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Yep, he should give back his Golden Boot, Tri Nations winners medals cos Davo never rated him.

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Shaun Johnson has won the Golden Boot and named the best player in the world (2014).  Of course he has been considered one of the games best.

So did Kevin Sinfield,enough said.

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Yep, he should give back his Golden Boot, Tri Nations winners medals cos Davo never rated him.

Still trying to justify your ridiculous OP

that a fading,inconsistent player that no other NRL team wants is the saviour of Wigan & Superleague then.

2 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

So did Kevin Sinfield,enough said.

Come on, that's a silly response. In the 2000's the Golden Boot has been won by Benji Marshall, Jonathan Thurston, Kevin Sinfield, Shaun Johnson, Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith.

Now, you may not agree with Sinfield or Johnson winning the award but saying that Johnson has never been considered one of the world's best when he has literally won the award for the world's best player is factually wrong.

Archived