Leigh

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, yipyee said:

So the teqm plucked out of mid table obscurity is struggling in SL whilst the top 2 from last year is the top 2 again in the same order but tgis time the top team is beating everyone by 60-70 points per week away from home!

So this is clear evidence that Toulouse should have gone up whilst we would have had an exciting championship season that Fev probably would have edged..

All in all we are now seeing a forgone conclusion of Leigh being relegated whilst the SL clubs think up a stratagy to keep toulouse down yet again

Let's not forget that the last time Toulouse lost a game was when they played Fev and got absolutely pumped, in Toulouse, in the 2019 play-offs. Fev were the beaten finalists against Toronto and there were plenty of neutrals who thought Fev should have been first in line for the poisoned chalice that was the vacant SL place.

It may well be that Toulouse are a much stronger team now, and I won't be at all surprised if they gain promotion this year, and if they do I'll be the first to say they're in SL on merit, but Fev are also unbeaten since 2019 in the league so it's perhaps a little premature to talk of "clear evidence that Toulouse should have gone up."

38 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

There were still only 10 points in the game with 25 to play, the problem is every time we get 1 player back from injury we seem to lose 2 more. We started yesterday with only 2 recognised props and were holding our own whilst they were on the pitch, as soon as the interchanges started we had Tyrone McCarthy and Peteru at prop and the team were having to exert themselves extra hard to make any dent in a big Huddersfield pack. We lost Peteru to a head test, Sidlow came back on and almost immediately did his knee and then Russell got injured(possibly another head knock but couldn't tell) meaning we were down to 1 on the bench with about 30 minutes left. At one point Junior S'au was basically playing prop. All that coupled with increasing indiscipline due to fatigue and Hudd grinding us down with repeat sets meant we defended for much of the 2nd half. It didn't surprise me one bit the flood gates opened in those last 15 mins or so, even if it was really disappointing to watch.

I dread to think who is going to be available in the forwards for Hull KR because our pack has just been decimated over the past 3/4 games. 

As I asked Harry , how many different HB combinations have we had ? , This on top of as you point out our lack of props able to make the field in condition to play 

48 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Personally I cannot see us winning playing % RL , we have to just chance our arm and go for it , defeats by one or forty don't matter , a win by one does 

Leigh need to forget winning or losing and entertain their fan base that is turning up regardless. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

18 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Let's not forget that the last time Toulouse lost a game was when they played Fev and got absolutely pumped, in Toulouse, in the 2019 play-offs. Fev were the beaten finalists against Toronto and there were plenty of neutrals who thought Fev should have been first in line for the poisoned chalice that was the vacant SL place.

It may well be that Toulouse are a much stronger team now, and I won't be at all surprised if they gain promotion this year, and if they do I'll be the first to say they're in SL on merit, but Fev are also unbeaten since 2019 in the league so it's perhaps a little premature to talk of "clear evidence that Toulouse should have gone up."

Yipyee is refering to squads that played 2 years ago , the Leigh team has changed , the Toulouse team has changed , the Fev team has changed , all the teams have changed , so all pointless really , as usual from him 

Toronto agreed to enter SL without funding and people said they were aware of that so it’s their fault they went belly up. Had they refused, they may still be a functioning club now.

Leigh agreed to enter at short notice with half funding and knew that so that’s their fault. This is hurting fans and I can’t see any benefit of accepting the invitation for one season of hidings in SL.

Why are clubs so desperate to be part of SL? They accept unfair terms that risk more damage than any possible benefit. SL need 12 teams so all potential SL clubs should show solidarity and refuse to enter unless all sides are treated equally. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

6 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Toronto agreed to enter SL without funding and people said they were aware of that so it’s their fault they went belly up. Had they refused, they may still be a functioning club now.

Leigh agreed to enter at short notice with half funding and knew that so that’s their fault. This is hurting fans and I can’t see any benefit of accepting the invitation for one season of hidings in SL.

Why are clubs so desperate to be part of SL? They accept unfair terms that risk more damage than any possible benefit. SL need 12 teams so all potential SL clubs should show solidarity and refuse to enter unless all sides are treated equally. 

Yes , but it doesn't work like that 

Are you saying that Toronto should have refused going into SL ?

32 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So tell me , who would you have had at HB for the last 5/6 games ?

Ryan Brierley has been playing well recently ( chip through the wigan defence for Ellis to score jog your memory), has pace and is more than a capable goal kicker. Why was he left out unless injured?

10 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes , but it doesn't work like that 

Are you saying that Toronto should have refused going into SL ?

If I was the one making the decision on those terms I would have refused and stayed in the Championship.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

2 minutes ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

Ryan Brierley has been playing well recently ( chip through the wigan defence for Ellis to score jog your memory), has pace and is more than a capable goal kicker. Why was he left out unless injured?

Ryan has been playing full back , only missing yesterday , so if he's playing HB , who are you playing at full back for those 4/5 games ? , Is Ryan a proven SL quality HB ?

The point I'm making is we have who we have , and are struggling to get those on the pitch , hence Wilde at HB against Wigan , along with several other combinations so far , not conducive to getting us playing well , but that's the way it is 

39 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

As I asked Harry , how many different HB combinations have we had ? , This on top of as you point out our lack of props able to make the field in condition to play 

Very true and something i've noted previously. Out of curiosity, I have actually just had a quick scan through our results and in the league we have started with 6 different combinations in 7 games so far, which doesn't even consider the games where Mellor has gone off injured twice forcing reshuffles. We've also had 4 different full backs so it's hardly a surprise the team hasn't had any fluency. I do find it equal parts funny and exasperating that Reynolds seems to cop the blame, even though him and Wildie have probably put in the best partnership so far against the 2 best teams in Saints and Wigan. Ellis had an absolute howler yesterday in attack and defence.

1 minute ago, RayCee said:

If I was the one making the decision on those terms I would have refused and stayed in the Championship.

But you weren't , do you honestly think Mr Argyle was/is interested in running a Championship RL club ? , How many of the current SL club owners do you think would continue funding their clubs if they weren't allowed into SL ?

5 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Very true and something i've noted previously. Out of curiosity, I have actually just had a quick scan through our results and in the league we have started with 6 different combinations in 7 games so far, which doesn't even consider the games where Mellor has gone off injured twice forcing reshuffles. We've also had 4 different full backs so it's hardly a surprise the team hasn't had any fluency. I do find it equal parts funny and exasperating that Reynolds seems to cop the blame, even though him and Wildie have probably put in the best partnership so far against the 2 best teams in Saints and Wigan. Ellis had an absolute howler yesterday in attack and defence.

That's about where I thought we were , the sympathy is deafening 😂

8 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

If there is one club I would love to beat it is Leeds even moreso than Wigan and that is a rarity for a Leigh fan, it is a desire I have had since the mid sixties borne out of a personal expierence at Headingly.

That sounds like a story 'Arry, pray tell? 

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

So you think Toulouse would be winning games in SL ?

How do you reconsile this Leigh team being ' mid table obscure ' ?

I think Toulouse would be winning or at least not being embarrassed in SL yes. I also think they wouldnt be loaning academy lads on month loan spells either. They have a second team for starters

Just now, yipyee said:

I think Toulouse would be winning or at least not being embarrassed in SL yes. I also think they wouldnt be loaning academy lads on month loan spells either

That is a fair enough opinion , one I disagree with , but still fair 

How do you reconcile Leigh's team this year being from Championship mid table obscurity ? 

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I agree fev or toulouse should have been the choice to go up, however looking at the further progress of Toulouse this year its a no brainer who should have gone up.

Would be happy for Fev to have a crack TBF athough, either club is fresh blood into SL instwad of the same failed yoyo clubs.

1 minute ago, yipyee said:

I agree fev or toulouse should have been the choice to go up, however looking at the further progress of Toulouse this year its a no brainer who should have gone up.

Would be happy for Fev to have a crack TBF athough, either club is fresh blood into SL instwad of the same failed yoyo clubs.

It would seem we will find out next year 

13 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

That is a fair enough opinion , one I disagree with , but still fair 

How do you reconcile Leigh's team this year being from Championship mid table obscurity ? 

Leigh are trying hard but they are clearly not SL ready on the pitch

Archived