BBC CC Preview

Wow which Northern Town did Mata utia  come from again !!!!

Guess the BBC stereo type of Northern folk playing a Northern game has just been blown out of the water by that five minute clip.

But then again southerners wont know anything about the guy unless they follow the game.

17 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

I think that this is true, although I do think at even now there are still echoes of the Harrying of the North in 1069 - and this despite all the billions of development money.  Its a bit of a way of thinking. Is it a bit of a chip on our  shoulder or some condescension from the South.  I suppose we can all moan at the Midlands.

But the fact is, and this is where we are, it's a northern game and we need to make the most of that.  The point is we need to have a STRONG northern game - not one on its knees. 

In other news I always hate these intro pieces before the game.  I switch-on on the kick off.

The Harrying of the North wasn’t done by southerners though, it was the Normans. 

3 minutes ago, yanto said:

Guess the BBC stereo type of Northern folk playing a Northern game has just been blown out of the water by that five minute clip.

But then again southerners wont know anything about the guy unless they follow the game.

Newcastle 😜

9 minutes ago, yanto said:

And when the teams were read out, plenty of international representation 

28 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

As a Londoner I don’t have any problem with the mining/glass blowing historical reference. Paints a picture of hard working, solid working class heroes.

I'm from Southampton and I think it makes perfect sense to reference the history of the places involved - mining and glass, etc. That's what they are best known for, and it adds a bit of background to the match. I don't see what else they can do really. I'd much prefer they were authentic than they pretended to be something that they're not.

5 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

So how should it be advertised then?

Xscape Vs Ellesmere Port.

Battle of the Outlet Villages.

(yes, I appreciate I'm using geographical licence with Ellesmere Port).

People called Romans they go the house

Well fella's I loved it.

They didn't labour the ''Northern-ness'' of the people, the sport or the event.

The Matautia feature was (if by design) a masterstroke, which moved me to tears.

Then he got me again, in the aftermatch interview. What a champion bloke.

Also I thought the commentary (and pre and mid-match remarks) were bright, intelligent, insightful, entertaining and humourous.

The sense of occasion lifted my (and everyone else's) spirits and the game was a classic.

It was an incredibly intense struggle which had me on the edge of my seat until half way through the second half when the pace slowed just a bit

One of the best all round presentations of the game (in this country) I've seen.

So well done BBC, please keep up the good work? Bring on the World Cup! 

54 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Well fella's I loved it.

They didn't labour the ''Northern-ness'' of the people, the sport or the event.

The Matautia feature was (if by design) a masterstroke, which moved me to tears.

Then he got me again, in the aftermatch interview. What a champion bloke.

Also I thought the commentary (and pre and mid-match remarks) were bright, intelligent, insightful, entertaining and humourous.

The sense of occasion lifted my (and everyone else's) spirits and the game was a classic.

It was an incredibly intense struggle which had me on the edge of my seat until half way through the second half when the pace slowed just a bit

One of the best all round presentations of the game (in this country) I've seen.

So well done BBC, please keep up the good work? Bring on the World Cup! 

Loved it as well to quote a song the hands that built this country they keep trying to keep down.

Watched redvee there a no commentary walk along Wembley  way before the game fans mixing not even a word in anger. Chairman McManus  mingling with the fans. Big shout out to the bloke in the Parramatta shirt.

In the past I've had a week or two in Chester, Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds  Bradford,  Newcastle  Scarborough Doncaster,Sheffield and Hull I was always well treaated and made welcome.

I have also spent time in Reading and London were my reception was a lot different.

St Helens and Castleford your players and fans were a credit to the north of England. 

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

3 hours ago, MrPosh said:

Xscape Vs Ellesmere Port.

Battle of the Outlet Villages.

(yes, I appreciate I'm using geographical licence with Ellesmere Port).

Yeah tbf why didn't they show Cas as a skiing chalet village (with a Wetherspoons)?? 😅

Archived