Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

I'm a sucker for a decent montage/hype video (US college football is the best for this).

Here's a very NSFW one for PNG.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I'm a sucker for a decent montage/hype video (US college football is the best for this).

Here's a very NSFW one for PNG.

For me as usual it’s spoiled by the awful music and is instantly muted.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tosh said:

For me as usual it’s spoiled by the awful music and is instantly muted.

A hype video needs hype music.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

It's fine. It's up to England to show on Saturday that we are better than Samoa and shut the likes of Gould up. 

I’m Afraid that even if England win 40-0 nothing will change. As an Aussie I would like apologise for what the NRL and it’s goons have done over the past 20 years to belittle the sport so much into  making the fans think there is only one good league in the world. All Rugby League fans these days know about the super league is that “it’s ####” according to all the “Rugby League experts”. I think Brad Fittler getting mad at Tommy Makinson winning the Golden boot is a perfect example of this, it has nothing to with the standard of super league it’s just the NRL wanting to stay on top. They want themselves to become similar to American sports where there is only one top league, Fortunately that will never happen.

Another Example of this is when ever NRL shows talk about the history of rugby League they always start in 1908 and always fail to mention the sport is from England. It honestly wouldn’t surprise me if only about 20% of NRL fans knew that rugby league is from England.

I would enjoy nothing more then seeing Abdo and V’Landys Plan to Americanise the NRL fail. what a beautiful sight that would be.

Edited by SydneyRoosters
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Even though I am Aussie, I would enjoy nothing more then seeing NRL collapsing and going bankrupt

I'm sorry, what?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Gould has always been a massive xenophobe same as nearly all the Australian media really with pretty much all sports. 

It's just good that the likes of Tonga & Samoa etc might be able to compete and if all goes right win the tournament. 

13 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Obviously I don’t mean it literally, I just don’t like V’Landys and Abdo and I would love to see there project of Americanizing the NRL fail. I worded it wrong sorry.

What is the Americanisation of the NRL?

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

What is the Americanisation of the NRL?

Wanting to bring a Rookie Draft, Trade Window, etc.They’re basically trying to replicate how sports leagues in America are structured rather than sticking with the traditional competition style. Abdo is a #### and is only looking for money, this was proven when he got rid of mid season test just because he wouldn’t profit off it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Wanting to bring a Rookie Draft, Trade Window, etc.They’re basically trying to replicate how sports leagues in America are structured rather than sticking with the traditional competition style. Abdo is a #### and is only looking for money, this was proven when he got rid of mid season test just because he wouldn’t profit off it.

Not sure that that's particularly American nor reasons for wanting the world's most successful competition in either code to fail but you do you.

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Not sure that that's particularly American nor reasons for wanting the world's most successful competition in either code to fail but you do you.

Trust Me all of the changes the NRL are making are entirely based on them wanting to follow in the NFL and NBA’s footsteps. In case you didn’t know the NFL and NBA are far and away the biggest competitions in there respective sports, The NRL is trying to give themselves that image when it comes to rugby league.

• Like 1

Gould is a bumhole but it is more fun when there is a bit of friction / chat ahead of these sorts of tournament. Who knows he might be right.

• Like 4

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

4 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

To be fair this is a news limited thing just as much. They always call clubs franchises like they are McDonald's or something. The rookie draft is purely because a lower socio economical team has become the dominant team in the NRL and are using their resources successfully it would be the same if it were the Tigers.

They do the same with the Warriors they dominate the under 20's journalists whinge, we get rid of the under 20's which was a dumb decision.  NZ have the Auckland nines have it taken off them then cancelled. 

Basically it's a snobbery from journalists they don't want certain teams dominating. If every team used there junior bases as well as Penrith, Souths and the Cowboys have done recently the game would be in a super strong position.

Lots of clubs have junior bases the equal of Penrith but aren't using them properly. 

Bringing in a draft kills the game I completely agree and will be the dumbest decision in the history of the game.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, anjado said:

To be fair this is a news limited thing just as much. They always call clubs franchises like they are McDonald's or something. The rookie draft is purely because a lower socio economical team has become the dominant team in the NRL and are using their resources successfully it would be the same if it were the Tigers.

They do the same with the Warriors they dominate the under 20's journalists whinge, we get rid of the under 20's which was a dumb decision.  NZ have the Auckland nines have it taken off them then cancelled. 

Basically it's a snobbery from journalists they don't want certain teams dominating. If every team used there junior bases as well as Penrith, Souths and the Cowboys have done recently the game would be in a super strong position.

Lots of clubs have junior bases the equal of Penrith but aren't using them properly. 

Bringing in a draft kills the game I completely agree and will be the dumbest decision in the history of the game.

Exactly the logistics and benefits of a bringing in a draft are completely not worth it. They would have to destroy a perfectly working youth structure for no benefit.

If you look at the 2 worst teams in the NRL this season

Wests Tigers:

They are known for there youth development have produced a crazy amount of players that they have let go Tedesco, Papenhuyzen Etc

Warriors:

Same thing really, they produce some of the best players in the comp but never seem to keep them.

Its pretty obvious that the problem is the teams who let the players go, not unbalanced youth systems. In fact there is no problem, unfortunately one team has to finish last in the NRL and not every team can be good and competitive. 

A draft would do no benefit for the sport at all, it’s practically like ripping out perfectly floorboards for no reason. It will do no good for our sport and would only destroy youth development.

they are apparently thinking doing this to make it “fair” but this is making it the opposite of fair. Teams should be rewarded for doing well and developing players and not have there players taken from them because there youth systems are “too good”.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Gould is a bumhole but it is more fun when there is a bit of friction / chat ahead of these sorts of tournament. Who knows he might be right.

He won’t be right ,Even if Samoa win 100-0. To say England (almost World Champions in 2017, Beat the kiwis 3/4 times a few years ago, 3 time world champions, 10 Time World Cup finalists, 88 Wins against Australia) “Can’t beat Samoa” is completely stupid and just demonstrates the Illogical abuse and Prejudice towards the Super League.

He sees Welsby as a 6 with Williams at 7. Interesting.

Hall as 5 but i would hope he wouldnt start in big games.

Radley at 13 might point to Knowles as a middle replacement.

McIlorum at 9. Sad face.

Im scared

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas