Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

6 hours ago, HawkMan said:

BBC Schedule In Full.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/63061246

Four platforms being used, the breakdown of what match is on where detailed in link above.

BBC2 gets lion share of Mens tournament.

Men;

BBC2- 14 games

Red Button/ On Line - 7

BBC1 - 5

BBC3- 5

Women;

Red Button/On Line-10

BBC2 -4

BBC 1- 1

Wheelchair;

BBC2- 9

Red Button/On Line - 6

Good news for the Wheelchair, seems a bit unfair to the women's tournament

I'm a bit mystified that they aren't televising more of the women's comp. The Jillaroos have some really exciting players and would have brought so much positivity to be on the main channels.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

England squad numbers:

Not a fan of the close calls.

Burgess would have been a better impact prop off the bench IMO, with Hill or Cooper starting.

Hall at #5 is loyalty showing, but Makinson and Young are younger, fresher, more dangerous.

Welsby and Williams both running threats but a bit lacking in the long kicking department for me. I would have liked to see Sneyd backed for one of the half-back slots.

I suppose this is why the Aussies didn't want to elevate and lock-in 13 names for the whole month. We see now Wane's preferred starting 13.

If he goes with the numbering, I think Samoa's chances are good.

Edited by StandOffHalf
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Not a fan of the close calls.

Burgess would have been a better impact prop off the bench IMO, with Hill or Cooper starting.

Hall at #5 is loyalty showing, but Makinson and Young are younger, fresher, more dangerous.

Welsby and Williams both running threats but a bit lacking in the long kicking department for me. I would have liked to see Sneyd backed for one of the half-back slots.

I suppose this is why the Aussies didn't want to elevate and lock-in 13 names for the whole month. We see now Wane's preferred starting 13.

If he goes with the numbering, I think Samoa's chances are good.

I agree. I do still think we can beat Samoa with that team, based on that numbering, but it's not the team I'd pick.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, HawkMan said:

BBC Schedule In Full.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/63061246

Four platforms being used, the breakdown of what match is on where detailed in link above.

BBC2 gets lion share of Mens tournament.

Men;

BBC2- 14 games

Red Button/ On Line - 7

BBC1 - 5

BBC3- 5

Women;

Red Button/On Line-10

BBC2 -4

BBC 1- 1

Wheelchair;

BBC2- 9

Red Button/On Line - 6

Good news for the Wheelchair, seems a bit unfair to the women's tournament

Looking at the BBC schedule just makes the mouth water. International RL on TV every day..! 🤤

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

It won’t be the team. I can’t say that with certainty but I’m 99% confident. I’ve seen plenty of Wanes squad numbering over the years at they don’t mean a great deal usually.

One example is that he’s all but confirmed Young will play on Saturday. Now you can say ‘why not give him the starting shirt?’ But he probably has gone with seniority to a degree. The difference being that unlike the Aussies, he’s at least not taken the mick. 

1 hour ago, WN83 said:

One example is that he’s all but confirmed Young will play on Saturday. Now you can say ‘why not give him the starting shirt?’ But he probably has gone with seniority to a degree. The difference being that unlike the Aussies, he’s at least not taken the mick. 

I wouldn't be all that surprised if you are right and he's rewarded seniority.

I think it is unfair to call the Aussies' squad numbers approach ''taking the mick''. They've just gone with seniority across the board.

Edited by StandOffHalf

6 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

I wouldn't be all that surprised if you are right and he's rewarded seniority.

I think it is unfair to call the Aussies squad numbers approach ''taking the mick''. They've just gone with seniority across the board.

The Aussie debate has been done to death but Englands numbers seem something akin to what you’d expect. I don’t think that’s England’s starting team or starting 17 but we’ll see. I’ll be the first to admit it shouldn’t be the team if it does turn out that way. 

• Like 1

40,000 now sold for St James' Park on Saturday.

Less than 5,000 left for Bolton (so same as a few weeks ago)

Sales for England v Greece are "decent" according to Jon Dutton

10,000+ expected at Headingley for Australia v Fiji (not sure how this tallys with all seats almost sold)

Tonga v Cook Islands at Middlesbrough is struggling. 

10,000+ sold for England v Brazil women's opener.

Dutton talking a lot about hoping for a build in sales as tournament progresses and some matches not being where they would want.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/jon-dutton-world-cup-tickets-25246828

Edited by Chris22
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

40,000 now sold for St James' Park on Saturday.

Less than 5,000 left for Bolton (so same as a few weeks ago)

Sales for England v Greece are "decent" according to Jon Dutton

10,000+ expected at Headingley for Australia v Fiji (not sure how this tallys with all seats almost sold)

Tonga v Cook Islands at Middlesbrough is struggling. 

10,000+ sold for England v Brazil women's opener.

Dutton talking a lot about hoping for a build in sales as tournament progresses and some matches not being where they would want.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/jon-dutton-world-cup-tickets-25246828

Tonga and Cook Islands in Middlesbrough doesn’t really have a ring to it 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, WN83 said:

The Aussie debate has been done to death but Englands numbers seem something akin to what you’d expect. I don’t think that’s England’s starting team or starting 17 but we’ll see. I’ll be the first to admit it shouldn’t be the team if it does turn out that way. 

Yeah, I just don't like the criticism of the Kangaroos for assigning squad numbers in their own way.

Sorry, I shouldn't keep going on about squad numbers. My head hurts.

2 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Whover plonked that at the Riverside needs their head examined IMO...

It's a shame because that could be a really good game. It just doesn't sound like it to a casual or new fan. Type of game that should have been in a heartland location.

• Like 1

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Just now, DavidM said:

That looks like a good game to me , and that’s an interesting group

Oh, Awesome game and an even more awesome group!

It's just that Middlesbrough has no RL footprint and is one of the most economically-deprived areas in the country.  Especially now, it looks a real folly to me to have gone there.

22 minutes ago, IM2 said:

doncaster sales look slow for all 3 games. england played france a few years ago and the crowd was good. its not a big stadium. wonder why its so slow?

Big difference between 1 game featuring England and 3 not featuring England. I think it's at least one (probably two) fixtures too many here - and is the same at a few other grounds. Plus ticket prices. Hope that I'm proved wrong though.

Edited by theswanmcr
  • Like 1