Olympics, Tokyo 2020 (Merged Threads)

10 minutes ago, yanto said:

the USA who have lost once in forty odd games.

They do not lose.

It's a fact of life.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, yanto said:

Penalties. 

Being an English fan is this dreaded "game decider" now following me into Dutch football. 

😬😬

Don't know about the women but the Dutch men's record is worse than England's ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Everton have their own ground now. Liverpool, such is how they support their team, probably play in a pit with glass on the floor somewhere.

Ah, yes. That takes me back to playing Langworthy at Rabbit Hills where both teams would walk the pitch searching for broken sharps, glass & crockery, before each match.

1 minute ago, yanto said:

Your right😪😪😪

Still ... sets up a USA v Canada match and whilst the US always win they can be properly tasty

11 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Don't know about the women but the Dutch men's record is worse than England's ...

Won two lost five in major competitions.(Euros,World Cups)

England won two lost six.

As bad as each other. 

Is it normal to have little or no advertising at the olympics it seems strange just now watching football with no glary  advert running around the pitch.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

2 hours ago, my missus said:

Is it normal to have little or no advertising at the olympics it seems strange just now watching football with no glary  advert running around the pitch.

Yes. So, for example, sports like handball normally have advertising on national shirts even in major tournaments but they are completely advertising free during the Olympics.

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Everton have their own ground now. Liverpool, such is how they support their team, probably play in a pit with glass on the floor somewhere.

Ah, yes. That takes me back to playing Langworthy at Rabbit Hills where both teams would walk the pitch searching for broken sharps, glass & crockery, before each match.

Gold for GB in the Triathlon relay. Knackering enough just to watch.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Every single Northern Irish competitor has been described as Irish, rather the GB&NI, is this IOC declaration, or a statement by NI Sports?

For instance, Rory McIlroy in the Golf.

Rory McIlroy has chosen to represent Ireland.

On 28/07/2021 at 19:52, Maximus Decimus said:

Really. The sorts of kids who do skateboarding are just as likely to be middle class in my experience. Tony Hawk is hardly some guy from a trailer park. 

Dressage has been at the Olympics for way over 100 years. Would it be if it wasn't a sport associated with privilege, I'm not so sure. 

Yes.

Swimming is rather niche on a global scale, running is universal. It is the former where a huge variety of medals are contrived.

The pentathlon is a medaly of upper class pass times.

The whole amateur ethos is based on upper class pass times. Were darts a posh sport, it would have been in from the beginnning.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Denmark is doing rubbish.

Not that rubbish, but worse than usual and terribly for a nation of their "confidence".  I would like to see them do better,but I sympathise with fellow Brits here who arae enjoying this fall from hubris after the childish to nasty reaction after the Euro semi-final.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

If Djokovic loses the Bronze medal match he will have lost 3 matches in a row, Mens Semi, Mixed doubles semi, mens Bronze, 3 in a row probably for the 1st time in his career. 

He lost, next is the Bronze medal match in Mixed Doubles.

Really enjoyed the mixed triathlon event last night. It was basically 12 mini events, I only intended to watch for 5 minutes and watched the whole thing. Team GB were awesome but I had a mini wobble when the French fella caught up 35 seconds and overtook in the cycling.

I like the mixed events, but I think they should only have men against the men and women against the women in their different parts etc. I saw the swimming gold last night and don't think it's good to see men taking half a pool out of the women, even though we won in the end. 

9 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I'm pretty sure he represented the UK previously? I remember it being somewhat controversial as a Catholic Northern Irishman. 

IOC rules are very loose at the best of times so he can move without any issue. (Well, other than standard Norn Iron issues.)

6 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

If Djokovic loses the Bronze medal match he will have lost 3 matches in a row, Mens Semi, Mixed doubles semi, mens Bronze, 3 in a row probably for the 1st time in his career. 

He lost, next is the Bronze medal match in Mixed Doubles.

He's also still angry that the crowds don't give him love and respect. Maybe he should watch a replay of his behaviour in the mens' bronze medal match.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

5 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Really enjoyed the mixed triathlon event last night. It was basically 12 mini events, I only intended to watch for 5 minutes and watched the whole thing. Team GB were awesome but I had a mini wobble when the French fella caught up 35 seconds and overtook in the cycling.

I like the mixed events, but I think they should only have men against the men and women against the women in their different parts etc. I saw the swimming gold last night and don't think it's good to see men taking half a pool out of the women, even though we won in the end. 

That wouldn't be possible - which elements would be "mens" bits and which "womens"? Imagine you had the worlds best woman freestyle swimmer but that was only available to men. I think the men take the butterfly as I'm not sure the women do it. Maybe I'm wrong.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

The mixed relays in the pool and on the track seem to be settling into a pattern where the top teams all tend to choose the same sequence of competitors.

It takes some of the fun out of it for the spectator, and the athletes don't have to concentrate so much on managing their pacing.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, tim2 said:

He's also still angry that the crowds don't give him love and respect. Maybe he should watch a replay of his behaviour in the mens' bronze medal match.

I think he is so used to winning that he got angry with himself. Smashing a racquet, and chucking one into the stands is unforgivable for a player of his standards though. Bronze went to the better player.

Archived