Jump to content

Autumn Internationals


Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Damien said:

It's good to see the games being put on, and I am hoping that this isn't just it, but for goodness sake it's like the RFL doesn't even want these things to work or be a success so it doesn't need to do them again. 

Or there is very little money available for an international programme and the team 8s doing the best they can with incredibly limited funds and time. Maybe you can fo volunteer your money qnd time to show them how they should do it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

On one hand you're correct. But on the other, seriously, who thought Jamaica v Scotland should be in Fev? 

I would say it's better than nothing but I aren't so sure. 

But we have no idea as to why, immediately people are jumping all over it without knowing if its even true, or if it is why its happening.  Most stadiums will have been desperately trying to fill their calendar as soon as they were allowed to have sport played there, there's a very good chance of limited availability for games organised at such short notice.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dkw said:

Or there is very little money available for an international programme and the team 8s doing the best they can with incredibly limited funds and time. Maybe you can fo volunteer your money qnd time to show them how they should do it?

I find these kind of replies pathetic to be honest and you are a better poster than that.

The RFL is a professional organisation with full time staff. It is certainly not a fans job to do their job for them for free. Fans are customers who need to be persuaded to buy into an event, maybe you and the RFL should remember that.

There is no excuse for a Jamaica v Scotland match being at Fev. None at all. It's a village with a population of 15k. Jamaica got over 7k v England Knights at Headingley. Leeds Beckett have used Headingley for goodness sake, it's not that expensive but infinitely more prestigious and based in a major city.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

 

There is no excuse for a Jamaica v Scotland match being at Fev.  

You literally have no idea of this, of course there can be an excuse/reason for it, there is no information on it as of yet (we don't even know if it's true). 

I do apologise on the last post though, was unnecessary.  But it gets my back up when people immediately pile in without having any facts around something. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would have made every effort to hold some games exactly as they would have been for the RLWC. Cut-price tickets for those with a RLWC ticket already. If Jamaica were due to play Ireland at Headingley on a Friday/Saturday night (I think they were), and 10k tickets had been sold, build on that interest.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Week 1: Warm Ups

Wales V England
France V Jamaica
Ireland V Scotland

Weeks 2-3/4: Mini-Series

England V France x 3
Scotland V Ireland x 2
Wales V Jamaica x 2

Would be reasonable. If all we get is the 3 games mentioned in the OP it is probably major warning signs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, dkw said:

Or there is very little money available for an international programme and the team 8s doing the best they can with incredibly limited funds and time. Maybe you can fo volunteer your money qnd time to show them how they should do it?

If they can't resource it properly then they shouldn't do it IMO. It just massively devalues the international game when things are done half-arsed. And that's the last thing they should be doing with a World Cup next year.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jim_57 said:

Week 1: Warm Ups

Wales V England
France V Jamaica
Ireland V Scotland

Weeks 2-3/4: Mini-Series

England V France x 3
Scotland V Ireland x 2
Wales V Jamaica x 2

Would be reasonable. If all we get is the 3 games mentioned in the OP it is probably major warning signs.

No it wouldnt.  It would be worse because there is still zero incentive for anyone not playing england to bother. 

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just watching the final of The Hundred and thoroughly enjoying it. I know there's a whole other thread on The Hundred and lessons that RL can learn, but it's obvious from this that a significant proportion of the crowd are there for the 'event' as opposed to being die hard fans of either team.

If RL's powers-that-be are seriously considering playing Jamaica vs Scotland at Fev, then it perfectly encapsulates why the game is currently in the dire straits that it's in.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Just watching the final of The Hundred and thoroughly enjoying it. I know there's a whole other thread on The Hundred and lessons that RL can learn, but it's obvious from this that a significant proportion of the crowd are there for the 'event' as opposed to being die hard fans of either team.

If RL's powers-that-be are seriously considering playing Jamaica vs Scotland at Fev, then it perfectly encapsulates why the game is currently in the dire straits that it's in.

Where are Equador playing Italy at cricket this year ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

I don't care. What I care about is what we can do in this country to promote and expand the game of RL.

The cricket finished a bit ' damp ' in the end 

Just for the record , where do you suggest they play it ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The cricket finished a bit ' damp ' in the end 

Just for the record , where do you suggest they play it ?

I'm not sure they should play it. If the powers-that-be are going to treat it as an afterthought and provide insufficient resources to create a meaningful event that will be attractive to both spectators and players, then they shouldn't bother. 

It isn't a case of picking a ground and saying "it would be good there - they've got a train station nearby and should get at least 5k through the gates". They need to do some market research, put a meaningful long term calendar together and put games out to tender to see which towns and cities want to host. Not throw something together at the last minute based off the back of a fag packet.

What is the point of these games? Is it to just tick a box to say they've played some? If they're played in uninspiring stadiums with minimal effort going in to the promotion and the wider 'event' side of things, then I fail to see how they're going to prompt the players to make themselves eligible to play, or to make the event attractive to spectators. What good is that going to do ahead of next year's World Cup?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

What I care about is what we can do in this country to promote and expand the game of RL.

But you are happy to say negative comments about Featherstone and the local region, who have supporters that could be Scottish or Jamaican. Not forgetting that a current player is a Scottish international.  

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...