Autumn Internationals

8 hours ago, jim_57 said:

So unless they play England every year the rest don’t bother? Weird take.

I am all for full Euro Cup featuring England going forward but England aren’t going to be able or willing to play all of France, Wales, Ireland, Scotland & Jamaica every year unfortunately. I do think they should be playing France & at least one of the others annually to help develop local competition.

My point is that we have done the "non English nations play their level" and all it leads to is zero crowds and no coverage. 

It it commercially and financially worthless to the other nations and potentially dangerous for the players, as there is no benefit to those games.  (Wales also lose players to Eng as they are the only ones who get proper internationals).

So yes, we need a regular 4/5 nations that involves England  (not their b team, not a developement). Bar World cup qualifiers,  it is literally a waste of time otherwise for the other nations.  

Edited by ShropshireBull
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Chris Taylor said:

I let you into a secret, not everybody who supports Featherstone lives in Featherstone. 

So a meaningful event that you talk about, ideally where would you play?

And, even more amazingly, people are allowed to travel to Featherstone to watch the game if they choose...I know, mind blowing isn't it.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, dkw said:

And, even more amazingly, people are allowed to travel to Featherstone to watch the game if they choose...I know, mind blowing isn't it.

Of course but the trouble is it isn't that appealing to many and certainly isn't selling itself as an international event worth going to.

12 hours ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Yep. I'd go for Leigh. There's a really good pub down the road from the stadium and the fans will be able to get the number 54 bus. I'm surprised they haven't booked the Grand Final there to be honest.

Glad to hear that good choice , bit small for the GF IMO 

Any other suggestions for Jamaica , Scotland ?

56 minutes ago, dkw said:

And it has a train station , at the end of the road virtually ,so no excuses 😉

• Haha 1

I don't think it's a bad venue. It's a nice stadium and easy to get to. It's close to a lot of big population areas. Any fans from the Jamaican communities in the Leeds and Huddersfield areas don't have far to go to get to the game.

14 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So where do you suggest ?

It's funny, the moment I saw the notification that you replied I just knew it would just be a boring one line question, as usual. 

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1

Just now, Damien said:

It's funny, the moment I saw the notification that you replied I just knew it would just be a question, as usual. 

Provide an alternative , with the reasons why , it's called debate , rather than just having digs at everything 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Provide an alternative , with the reasons why , it's called debate , rather than just having digs at everything 

Try and actually contribute to a thread for once instead of continually digging by asking boring one line questions. That is not debating. Surely you have more to offer than that.

What's frustrating about this thread is we've all being complaining for a long time that England won't play France and we need games for the home nations plus Jamaica.

We've now got this and instead of being excited and talking about buying tickets, taking mates along etc we just find something else to complain about

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

That post explains everything about your contributions to these threads 

Childish 

There's no need to get personal. I've answered your question and you choose to ignore it and repeat the same question again and again. Either you're deliberately trolling or your don't understand the arguments being put to you. If you don't have anything to contribute other than trolling and refusing to engage with the discussion, then go on to a different thread and/or put me on ignore.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Try and actually contribute to a thread for once instead of continually digging by asking boring one line questions. That is not debating. Surely you have more to offer than that.

I don't know enough about the demographics of the Jamaican population in say Yorkshire to put forward an alternative venue , would I go to this game other than it being played in Leigh ? , No , would you be going to it ? 

Fev is a nice little ground with good transport links ( close train station ) fairly central within large RL fan bases 

Others are obviously more informed than me , so it's not unusual to ask their opinions 

6 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

What's frustrating about this thread is we've all being complaining for a long time that England won't play France and we need games for the home nations plus Jamaica.

We've now got this and instead of being excited and talking about buying tickets, taking mates along etc we just find something else to complain about

As I've said , unless it was local ( very ) to me , I doubt I'd be going , but others who claim to want to attend these games , don't want to put forward other options , but just moan about what has been suggested 

On 21/08/2021 at 10:45, dkw said:

Are there any stadiums available? Are medical personnel available? Are ballboys, cleaners, stewards, caterers, general helpers, bar staff etc...

I expect its pretty damn difficult to find a venue to play any games at such a late time after being shafted by the cowardly antipodean. How about RL fans see this as a positive that we get to see any kind if international RL after what's happened and get right behind it.

Scotland is just across the road from Cumbria. We're not talking about an alternate universe, there is such a thing called travel? Not sure what you're on about there

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

As I've said , unless it was local ( very ) to me , I doubt I'd be going , but others who claim to want to attend these games , don't want to put forward other options , but just moan about what has been suggested 

If all 3 games can get decent crowds, create some interest and provide competitive games  then the RFL has something to build on. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I don't know enough about the demographics of the Jamaican population in say Yorkshire to put forward an alternative venue , would I go to this game other than it being played in Leigh ? , No , would you be going to it ? 

Fev is a nice little ground with good transport links ( close train station ) fairly central within large RL fan bases 

Others are obviously more informed than me , so it's not unusual to ask their opinions 

No I will not be going to it. I do know 2 friends in London, both half Jamaican with Jamaican fathers, who travelled to Leeds to watch the Jamaican game there. They have no intention of doing so if the game is in Featherstone as it doesn't appeal. It is simply not worthy of spending hundreds and traveling hundreds of miles. If it was London they'd go, if it was Manchester they'd go, if it was Leeds they'd go. That to me says this will not appeal to people that should be the target market.

Internationals in cities are a pretty easy sell to floating and non RL fans, provided they know about it of course. For many years they were the staple meet up and weekend away with my old friends from University. Until internationals disappeared that is. They are much more appealing to sponsors and carry more prestige and kudos. Perception is important. 

When we have been discussing building up the international game for weeks on here a game in Featherstone is a pretty bad place to start in my opinion. I can't see how this does anything for the game in Scotland or the game in Jamaica. I can't see how it taps into the large Jamaican areas in the UK. I can't see how it adds to the international scene. Looking at areas with large Jamiacan populations London, Manchester, Leeds are all notable from a RL perspective. The likes of Sheffield, Bradford and Coventry to a lesser extent too though there may be more ground issues, although of course the RFL own Odsal. All cities with much greater populations and with much larger Jamaican populations to tap into.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

And it has a train station , at the end of the road virtually ,so no excuses 😉

But no trains on Sundays

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Obviously living in Hull I'm always going to be a bit out of the way of most internationals going on so I won't be going to the non England games with them being in places like Fev. For someone who doesn't have their own transport smaller places like that can be a little awkward to get to but I would definitely consider going to one of the non England games if it was only one train away, or two trains with one easy change say.

I was hoping the Jamaica game would have been in Leeds again and preferably on a weekend afternoon and then I would definitely have gone. Like I say, I'll go if it's within an hour and half or so train journey as well. I'm going to try to get to the England game wherever it is. 

• Like 3