What are you scared of/phobias.

4 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

I clung on to the rail in the lift for dear life whilst thinking of the drop if the cable snapped.

Since 1852, when Elisha Otis invented a ratchet-like mechanism that comes into play if the cable(s) break, a lift is actually held more securely if a cable fails. You may be stuck in the same small box as everyone else's farts 'til someone comes along to get you out, but you are not in any more danger, even if five cables snap.

Of course, that doesn't help with an irrational fear.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

17 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Since 1852, when Elisha Otis invented a ratchet-like mechanism that comes into play if the cable(s) break, a lift is actually held more securely if a cable fails. You may be stuck in the same small box as everyone else's farts 'til someone comes along to get you out, but you are not in any more danger, even if five cables snap.

Of course, that doesn't help with an irrational fear.

This situation is where my claustrophobia would kick in. I'm fine when I know I can get out of somewhere but of course here I would be stuck in the lift. The main thing though would be that I would feel as if I couldn't breathe and would start to feel incredibly dry and dehydrated.

As I say, I am fine when I know I can get out of somewhere, like when I went in a submarine in Hamburg because you entered at the rear, walked along one, straight corridor and left at the front so I knew there was a clear route to get out. This is different to the cave system I mentioned earlier in the thread because although there would be a way of getting out of the cave, if I was a long way into the system I would be scared of getting lost and thus not being able to ever get out again. 

On 09/09/2021 at 15:49, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I'm also very jumpy around bees and wasps and this is because I have never actually been stung by one and my mother is massively allergic and can even die from a string from one so I guess I'm just very aware that that allergy could have been passed on to me as well and I don't particularly want to put it to the test. 

Is that not something that can be tested for? My daughter has some mild allergies and she has that pin pick test every year where they put a little bit of everything on the skin and then see the reactions.  I would have thought bee/was sting could be tested.

Would provide a bit of peace of mind.

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Is that not something that can be tested for? My daughter has some mild allergies and she has that pin pick test every year where they put a little bit of everything on the skin and then see the reactions.  I would have thought bee/was sting could be tested.

Probably something that can be tested, tbh it's just something I've never thought about getting done, I just avoid the evil little sh*ts! 

• Like 1

Heights (which I suppose is fairly normal) but also level crossings. I hate driving over them. usually there's no other choice so i have to grip the wheel and pray the lights don't start up and I don't stall...

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Like plenty of people I don't like ladders and heights, even seeing video of a big drop down can make my legs wobble.

Another is walking on ice. Somewhat obviously it's a fear of slipping and falling but it's mainly hurting myself badly. It seems to get worse each year and even frosty mornings worry me.

Recently, dog theft has been a big worry.

On 11/09/2021 at 17:50, Dunbar said:

The thing I was told with bee/wasp stings is it wouldn’t usually be the first time you are stung were you would get the allergic reaction. The idea being that the first sting would just set up your bodies reaction to the next one. So may not show up on a test unless you’ve already been stung. 

• Like 1

When I was a regional director for English Heritage, when we advertised historic building inspector vacancies in my team, applicants had to sign a form saying that they were not afraid of heights.

When, more recently I worked for the Diocese of Bath & Wells, I found that I could quite easily lean over a church tower parapet and have a conversation with somebody on the ground - not that I had to do that every week!

As a slight aside from the main theme, thanks to the OP for using 'phobia' as I understand it, namely a fear of something.  When did it become hijacked to mean hating something, as in 'transphobia' and 'homophobia'?

7 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

When I was a regional director for English Heritage, when we advertised historic building inspector vacancies in my team, applicants had to sign a form saying that they were not afraid of heights.

When, more recently I worked for the Diocese of Bath & Wells, I found that I could quite easily lean over a church tower parapet and have a conversation with somebody on the ground - not that I had to do that every week!

X years ago I got talking to a chap who was a nightwatchman at York Minster. He told me a story about the time he was doing his rounds one evening, and on returning to the side door he used to leave the Minster, found he had locked himself out.

His options for getting back in were limited to, knocking on the door of, and waking, a senior member of the church who resided nearby or leaving the premises unguarded whilst he went across town to see if the other nightwatchman, who was off duty, had a spare set of keys. 

He opted to climb a series of exterior ladders, known only to a few, until he got onto the upper roof and let himself in via a roof hatch. He even pointed out some of the ladders and showed me the roof hatch.

Bearing in mind this was unplanned and he had no safety harness.

• Like 1

Wibble

Considering that we are supposed to live in a "Health and Safety gone mad" culture, some of the roofers I've seen working on houses rcenetly hve shown zero regard for either.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"