Promotion & Relegation/Licencing hybrid system

JAG

26 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

It's getting ridiculous now. I've worked out recently that Ralph Rimmer posts as Parksider on here and now we have Martyn Sadler as JAG. Who's next. 🤔🤔🤔

Ha ha ha. I'm not Brian Carney! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mumby Magic said:

It's getting ridiculous now. I've worked out recently that Ralph Rimmer posts as Parksider on here and now we have Martyn Sadler as JAG. Who's next. 🤔🤔🤔

I am definitely not Martyn Sadler.

Also I've yet to hear a serious critique against this system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• JAG changed the title to Promotion & Relegation/Licencing hybrid system
1 minute ago, Damien said:

Are you quite sure you aren't Martyn Sadler?

Haha! Yes.

I'm choosing to laugh at the comparison but if I keep hearing it I might log-off for good.

1 minute ago, sweaty craiq said:

Its male genitals - or does it need more words

Presuming you really do have something sensible in mind, almost all of your posts need a lot more words, in order that the reader can actually make sense of them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

With that final response definitely Martyn Sadler lol.

I unsubscribed from The League Express specifically because of him.

My statement still stands.

14 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Its male genitals - or does it need more words

I appreciate all feedback and opinions.

Still not a counter argument to the proposal.

26 minutes ago, JAG said:

You know (at least some of) the counter arguments, you listed a load of negatives in your opening post.

You evidently think the positives outweigh these, it just seems from the thread that the majority on here don't.

4 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

You know (at least some of) the counter arguments, you listed a load of negatives in your opening post.

You evidently think the positives outweigh these, it just seems from the thread that the majority on here don't.

I'm aware of how it might appear to have negatives. What info include in constructing the Era league is a area of discussion but not an overall flaw. Whether its a collection of points gather at the end of a regular season added together over 4 years or a sperate points based system awarded for league table finishes is up for debate but not the system itself. 

The major negative is if we have another season of unfulfilled matches which would create an unfair league, but that would apply to any system that includes Promotion and Relegation. Lets hope to god seasons of cancelled fixtures are behind us.

As to what it sets out to achieve and how it might fail in that endeavour I've yet to hear a thoughtful criticism.

I put it on here for it to be criticised and for holes to found. I appreciate all comments and input.

19 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

If the criticism was "Nobody wants to waits 4 years." I'd understand that but this system would address the current problems we have with:

Newly promoted teams getting relegated in their first season.

Less opportunities for Championship clubs to get promoted to SL.

Teams going broke trying to get promoted to SL or retain SL status.

Meaningless games where teams have nothing to play.

Teams becoming yo-yo teams that fluctuate between two leagues.

A team running the risk of getting relegated for one poor season one.

Clubs prioritising short term success over longer term planning.

Clubs sole ambition is to retain SL status.

The same old looking Super League year in year out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAG said:

Have any other sports introduced a season spanning 4 years?

I just can’t see how that will make anything any better. However if there was a reference point on how others dealt with it that would be useful

41 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I just can’t see how that will make anything any better.  However if there was a reference point on how others dealt with it that would be useful

I don't know of any other sports that have introduced this kind of system.

It's licensing/franchising but with a limited time frame.

At the end of each four year ''era'' it all comes up for review.

It's not difficult to understand how it would work and it does confer all the benefits of stability JAG listed a few posts back.

What do you fear are the major negatives with his suggestion?  

2 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

I don't know of any other sports that have introduced this kind of system.

It's licensing/franchising but with a limited time frame.

At the end of each four year ''era'' it all comes up for review.

It's not difficult to understand how it would work and it does confer all the benefits of stability JAG listed a few posts back.

What do you fear are the major negatives with his suggestion?  

Sports fans crave simplicity. It’s another convoluted system that will need explaining to new fans. Fancy getting interested in year 4 of a cycle. Watch your team have a decent season but due to the previous three being awful you get relegated 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

I just can’t see how that will make anything any better. However if there was a reference point on how others dealt with it that would be useful

Other comments have said a similar system is used in south american football. I wasn't aware of that so maybe it's not such a unique concept.

16 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Sports fans crave simplicity. It’s another convoluted system that will need explaining to new fans. Fancy getting interested in year 4 of a cycle. Watch your team have a decent season but due to the previous three being awful you get relegated 

It is simple. Everything stay's the same over 4 years then the 4 worst performing teams in Super League are replaced with the 4 best performing in The Championship.