Jump to content

Concussion (Merged Threads)


Recommended Posts

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12196/12470726/olsi-krasniqi-former-london-broncos-and-salford-red-devils-forward-on-mental-health-impacts-of-concussion
 

Things don’t look good for this great game of ours, certainly in its present gladiatorial guise.  I used to love watching the physicality of it, massive hits and player’s heads going back after a massive collision. Great shot lad! He’s hurt.  He’s going off in Disneyland.  Get in there!  I cringe every time I see a big hit now if I’m honest 😞 these mini car crashes are leaving people with lifelong problem.

 

I remember Steve mascord a year or two ago saying he feared that full contact “rugby” would be dead within 20/30 years when more is understood about the cost people are paying for these hits.

 

I fear Masco is spot on with his assertion sadly….

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Dallas Mead said:

 

I remember Steve mascord a year or two ago saying he feared that full contact “rugby” would be dead within 20/30 years when more is understood about the cost people are paying for these hits

Ive said this for the last few years that rugby of either code in 30 years will be very different or won't exist. Tackling above the waist I think will be gone maybe within a decade

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dallas Mead said:

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12196/12470726/olsi-krasniqi-former-london-broncos-and-salford-red-devils-forward-on-mental-health-impacts-of-concussion
 

Things don’t look good for this great game of ours, certainly in its present gladiatorial guise.  I used to love watching the physicality of it, massive hits and player’s heads going back after a massive collision. Great shot lad! He’s hurt.  He’s going off in Disneyland.  Get in there!  I cringe every time I see a big hit now if I’m honest 😞 these mini car crashes are leaving people with lifelong problem.

 

I remember Steve mascord a year or two ago saying he feared that full contact “rugby” would be dead within 20/30 years when more is understood about the cost people are paying for these hits.

 

I fear Masco is spot on with his assertion sadly….

It might be bad for the purists who get off on watching the bish bash stuff (an enjoyment which I’m not denigrating btw as all tastes are valid), but for others such as myself I hope it means more of the more skilful stuff which I’m in no doubt would raise the profile of the sport. Not one big bruiser has ever been known to joe public, but maybe 6 or 7 players who made eye catching runs/plays were. To paraphrase Garry Schofield, the bruisers do the donkey work, the backs make the plays. Can’t say I’ve ever watched a game of rugby (either code) and reacted to a big hit. Baz and Tez get excited though so it’s their reaction I’d enjoy more than the actual hit. In RU I basically ignored the pack (the much less talented big/wide fellas), which makes it nigh on impossible to watch now as it’s now completely pack dominated...”forwards win games, backs by how many” (backwards onus i feel, it should be the other way round).

That Sky Sports News story on Stevie Ward was an eye opener. Hopefully he can make a good recovery as constantly having migraines would be torture. 

Edited by DC77
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The advent of professionalism (proper no job professionalism) has been a major issue in this in both sports. Players get bigger and stronger and fitter so the impacts are larger. Today even the small players would be relatively big on an amateur pitch. Sadly you cannot easily put the genie back in the bottle (though some owners and administrators are doing a fine job of proving me wrong!)

I still think the amount of contact they do in training is a major part of it and that we will find that becoming limited before we see too much in the way of game changes now. simply put 1 less contact session in a week makes a much bigger impact to the Drip Drip effect of constant mini concussions than tweaks to the rules on game day (that just mean less of a hit but still a hit).. 2 less contact sessions a week is double the impact on this effect etc. IMHO that is where you get the biggest reward for change. 

Edited by RP London
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s a serious dilemma because although we love to see the skilful parts, we also love to see the roughhouse stuff (I’m not talking about dirty play) It’s what sets RL apart from other sports IMO - war minus the bullets type thing. We can watch soccer if we want skilful players or basketball possibly for quick hands or something like that…..but they aren’t RL and I aren’t sure it would be the same game without the gladiatorial aspect.

I say that as someone who doesn’t play and can totally respect anyone who didn’t want to do that for a living, I’m just pointing out what is possibly inevitable.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, RP London said:

I still think the amount of contact they do in training is a major part of it and that we will find that becoming limited before we see too much in the way of game changes now. simply put 1 less contact session in a week makes a much bigger impact to the Drip Drip effect of constant mini concussions than tweaks to the rules on game day (that just mean less of a hit but still a hit).. 2 less contact sessions a week is double the impact on this effect etc. IMHO that is where you get the biggest reward for change. 

I think this is right and, honestly, contact sessions should anyway be slowed down and be about tekkers.

But I also think protocols for concussions need to be stricter and better enforced, even if this means someone sitting out 2/3 weeks.

And we need to be playing shorter league seasons. Nearer 20 than 30 games.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Contact with the head has now been virtually stopped in rugby union. No sorrys, no I slipped, no, sorry I was off balance, it has been virtually stopped or is followed by a red card.

In the community ru game, there was a radid increase in dismissals for the first month of the season but already it has been accepted and the game is much safer for it. Most high tackles are down to poor technique or thugs playing the sport.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

I think this is right and, honestly, contact sessions should anyway be slowed down and be about tekkers.

But I also think protocols for concussions need to be stricter and better enforced, even if this means someone sitting out 2/3 weeks.

And we need to be playing shorter league seasons. Nearer 20 than 30 games.

yes totally agree with the latter 2 points too. 

I know from RU coaching courses that the protocol and "return to Rugby" for the kids especially can be quite long but it is there for a reason. However, when you see some people being helped off the pitch in internationals and club games and then fail an HIA (unsurprisingly) I am shocked by how fast they can be back, some the next week. There should be a mandatory sit down period no questions... independent doctors doing the HIA etc so they cannot be swayed by the clubs/nations. Pardon the expression but its a "no brainer"

I also agree with the limit, however, i would be happy to just limit the players (rather than the clubs) to 20 games per season as that also allows younger players to get starts which may help bring some through that wouldnt normally get seen. 

The key though is enforcement. Players want to play, coaches want their best players to play but they have to just be told " look he failed an HIA, he has to sit down for AT LEAST 2 weeks before contact training or consideration of playing.. no question".

Edited by RP London
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Ive said this for the last few years that rugby of either code in 30 years will be very different or won't exist. Tackling above the waist I think will be gone maybe within a decade

And that would solve absolutely nothing. If anything it would make things worse.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, RP London said:

I also agree with the limit, however, i would be happy to just limit the players (rather than the clubs) to 20 games per season as that also allows younger players to get starts which may help bring some through that wouldnt normally get seen. 

Just on this, I think you're right that the limit should be on players rather than the club. My reason for reducing the number of league games was so that a club could choose to play its best players in 20 league games (if 20 is the cap) if that is what they wanted to focus on and blood others in Cup comps where P&R is not an issue. But I'm open to any idea that reduces the annual number of games from 35 to something much lower for professional players.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can see full contact Rugby League at the professional level continuing.  If a sport is going to fail due to the existence of evidence of head injuries etc then the likes of boxing and MMA would already be banned.  The latter continues to grow.

Professional players who are prepared to balance the risks and rewards and play with informed consent will continue.

The urgency is how do we ensure that the junior and community instances of the game evolve to make all participants and parents feel comfortable that they can play with their welfare being protected as much as possible. 

We already have different laws for different versions of the sport and I think will continue to at pace - perhaps with full contact Rugby League as we know it today only played at the fully professional level.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Without ‘ full contact ‘ rugby league you don’t have rugby league . You can only do so much , the  nature of the sport means there’s inherent risk , it’s a big part of why we love it . You can’t eliminate it , it’s impossible . You just need to look at concussion from tackling. Some of the proposed solutions give you a game not worth watching anyway 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Without ‘ full contact ‘ rugby league you don’t have rugby league . You can only do so much , the  nature of the sport means there’s inherent risk , it’s a big part of why we love it . You can’t eliminate it , it’s impossible . You just need to look at concussion from tackling. Some of the proposed solutions give you a game not worth watching anyway 

Then maybe the game will cease to be played. Regrettable, of course, but if people are saying that others should take risks with their future mental health so that we can have an enjoyable afternoon out then they need to think just a little longer.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Damien said:

And that would solve absolutely nothing. If anything it would make things worse.

No it wouldn't 

The guy being tackled has a massive reduction of head injury risk

Emphasis on the tackler to protect themselves by only tackling with very good technique. If he does tackle properly then his head injury risk is reduced too 

Two things 

1. Rubbish tackling technique may still mean injury to the tackler. Crucially though it is the tackler who is responsible for thier own safety. 

2. I am desperate to avoid any such rule to come into force as both codes will be diminished and maybe even die

If you are going to tell me tackling below the waist is dangerous then you've never been taught to tackle properly. Head l/shoulder position and timing are key

 

 

 

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Then maybe the game will cease to be played. Regrettable, of course, but if people are saying that others should take risks with their future mental health so that we can have an enjoyable afternoon out then they need to think just a little longer.

Ask the ‘ others ‘ , ie the players , what they think ? You think they want to radically change the nature of the game they choose to play 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Then maybe the game will cease to be played. Regrettable, of course, but if people are saying that others should take risks with their future mental health so that we can have an enjoyable afternoon out then they need to think just a little longer.

I have to say I think this will be the case. 30 years i give both codes

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

No it wouldn't 

The guy being tackled has a massive reduction of head injury risk

Emphasis on the tackler to protect themselves by only tackling with very good technique. If he does tackle properly then his head injury risk is reduced too 

Two things 

1. Rubbish tackling technique may still mean injury to the tackler. Crucially though it is the tackler who is responsible for thier own safety. 

2. I am desperate to avoid any such rule to come into force as both codes will be diminished and maybe even die

If you are going to tell me tackling below the waist is dangerous then you've never been taught to tackle properly. Head l/shoulder position and timing are key

 

 

 

Doesn’t have to be rubbish tackling technique or not being taught to tackle properly . I’m sure NRL players are taught plenty of defence . But things go wrong in split second high speed collisions , some things are just accidents , collisions etc . Things look great and simple written down or in a edict but it’s not simple or cut and dry in action . We can bring in all kinds of measures but guys will still by definition get concussion and injury 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

No it wouldn't 

The guy being tackled has a massive reduction of head injury risk

Emphasis on the tackler to protect themselves by only tackling with very good technique. If he does tackle properly then his head injury risk is reduced too 

Two things 

1. Rubbish tackling technique may still mean injury to the tackler. Crucially though it is the tackler who is responsible for thier own safety. 

2. I am desperate to avoid any such rule to come into force as both codes will be diminished and maybe even die

If you are going to tell me tackling below the waist is dangerous then you've never been taught to tackle properly. Head l/shoulder position and timing are key

 

 

 

Many head clashes are a result of tacklers going low and accidentally clashing heads with their own teammates. What you say will exacerbate this.

Other concussions also arise purely accidentally through getting bumped off, head contact with knees, hips and other bones. What you say will again make this worse.

It also does nothing for concussions that arise with head contact to the ground and whiplash type concussions.

I think anyone that has played the game knows that banning tackles above the waste would achieve nothing. Its a very lazy solution that completely ignores how many concussions are caused.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Archie Gordon said:

Just on this, I think you're right that the limit should be on players rather than the club. My reason for reducing the number of league games was so that a club could choose to play its best players in 20 league games (if 20 is the cap) if that is what they wanted to focus on and blood others in Cup comps where P&R is not an issue. But I'm open to any idea that reduces the annual number of games from 35 to something much lower for professional players.

I agree with you.. just remember the "we need x home games to make it pay" argument that always pops up around game reduction (and dont want to derail the thread with "make more of the games youve got rather than just adding more games" argument).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Damien said:

Many head clashes are a result of tacklers going low and accidentally clashing heads with their own teammates. What you say will exacerbate this.

Other concussions also arise purely accidentally through getting bumped off, head contact with knees, hips and other bones. What you say will again make this worse.

It also does nothing for concussions that arise with head contact to the ground and whiplash type concussions.

I think anyone that has played the game knows that banning tackles above the waste would achieve nothing. Its a very lazy solution that completely ignores how many concussions are caused.

the game is 60-80 minutes long for most players (some will be 40 minutes).. the number of tackles players make and run ins is normally between say 40 and 60 (plucking figures but you get the idea)... a full contact training session is an intense workout of continually running into tackle pads, each other, getting bounced back and getting hit/driven/fall onto the floor. In a compressed time frame you can be doing the same amount of high intensity work during a session as you do in a game, for some people (outside backs etc) you may find you are doing significantly more.. 

Yes there is control, but high shots will still occur (human error).. the "car crash" and "whiplash" can still be found running into bags or with padded protection on individuals. 

These sessions can run quite long. They also run through pre season as well as during the season..  

Where is there most to be gained? tinkering around the rules on match day or from limiting the contact training by 1 session a week... (could be around 40 session taken out over a year)... I know what i would be looking at more intently and the NFL have done just that too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • John Drake changed the title to Concussion (Merged Threads)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...