Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

If they win today, England's women will have won the T20 and ODI sub-series, won more matches than Australia in the Ashes, and still lost the trophy.

I guess that's the nature of a multi game format. I wonder if they'll go to 3 Test matches for The Ashes at some point, and have the shorter stuff separate.

Shame that today's total would have been enough to win on Sunday.

1 minute ago, 17 stone giant said:

I guess that's the nature of a multi game format. I wonder if they'll go to 3 Test matches for The Ashes at some point, and have the shorter stuff separate.

Shame that today's total would have been enough to win on Sunday.

Or, as an interim step suggested on the radio today, add a second test to the hybrid series.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Or, as an interim step suggested on the radio today, add a second test to the hybrid series.

Maybe, but you're still playing around with points in that system. A second test this year could have been a draw, for example, so you'd still have England (potentially) winning more games.

9 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Maybe, but you're still playing around with points in that system. A second test this year could have been a draw, for example, so you'd still have England (potentially) winning more games.

True, but if there were two tests, maybe they could have less of a points weighting towards the total.

However, they say they have shifted over 100,000 tickets for the Ashes, so maybe it is now big enough for standalone series, at least v Australia and India.

Currently a rain delay at Taunton - I hope this finale can be played out instead of washed out.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

True, but if there were two tests, maybe they could have less of a points weighting towards the total.

I'm happy for them to try whatever they think is best. I do think though that any points system is always going to throw up some strange scenarios - especially given the possibility of drawn games. That's why I'd probably prefer a 3 match Test series for The Ashes, and then the short stuff as separate. The flip side to that might be that by having the shorter stuff as part of The Ashes, it has helped boosts those crowds. I guess there's no perfect answer to this.

Times (paywalled) article: Plans to replace Hundred and Blast with new T20 competition

"One proposal, which has growing support, is to scrap the eight Hundred teams and the 100-ball format and replace it with a T20 league featuring the 18 counties - and perhaps some of the National (formerly minor) Counties - but with a different ownership model that allows for private investment."

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

England beat the Aussies in the T20 series.
England beat the Aussies in the ODI series.
England won more matches in the Ashes than Australia.
Australia retain the Ashes.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

England beat the Aussies in the T20 series.
England beat the Aussies in the ODI series.
England won more matches in the Ashes than Australia.
Australia retain the Ashes.

If only England hadn't choked in the dying stages of the Aussie innings in game 2 of the ODI series, TBH.

But absolutely brilliant to win both white ball series.

They need to not think that's enough and other countries need to make sure they close the gap too.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

34 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Times (paywalled) article: Plans to replace Hundred and Blast with new T20 competition

"One proposal, which has growing support, is to scrap the eight Hundred teams and the 100-ball format and replace it with a T20 league featuring the 18 counties - and perhaps some of the National (formerly minor) Counties - but with a different ownership model that allows for private investment."

Just invest in the Blast for men's and the regions for women's.

It is really simple.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

If only England hadn't choked in the dying stages of the Aussie innings in game 2 of the ODI series, TBH.

But absolutely brilliant to win both white ball series.

They need to not think that's enough and other countries need to make sure they close the gap too.

Aussie captain "It's a grimace. It's not a smile." That's what we like to hear.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Aussie captain "It's a grimace. It's not a smile." That's what we like to hear.

The positive about the series is that both sides will be slightly disappointed, and rightly so.

Australia really won't like looking this vulnerable to the rest of the world.

• Like 1

Back at the test, Australias day at 8/299. Problem for England is believing the dire weather forecast and having that impact on their play. You cannot win a game by spotting  the oposition a substantive lead by Bazballing for 65 overs and forcing an aging bowling attack back out again not long after finishing off the Aussie 1st Innings.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Australia all out for 317.

England are currently 276 for 2, with Crawley on 153 and Root on 58.

Nice. :kolobok_cool:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Crawley out for 189. What a great innings!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Finally having a bit of luck . Crawley could have been out 5 or 6 times flashing and nearly playing on before he`d scored 30 runs and Moeen Ali had a few near misses in his knock .Needed a freak bounce to get Root out , but the wicket might just be starting to wear. Maybe a lead of around 200 might be enough to see us home , weather depending .

• Like 1

That would have been an interesting decision for the third umpire, ball comes in from the fielder with Stokes well out of his ground, keeper doesn't take it but knocks the ball onto the stumps. Gloves hit the stumps a fraction after the ball.

Probably not out as the ball may not have dislodged the stumps on it's own but I would have expected the Aussies to appeal at least.

:kolobok_sad:   Hull FC....The Sons of God....  :kolobok_sad:
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 hour ago, ivans82 said:

Crawley could have been out 5 or 6 times flashing and nearly playing on before he`d scored 30 runs and Moeen Ali had a few near misses in his knock.

I completely agree. These are the fine margins that often don't get recognised in the analysis. Had Crawley and Ali been out for one of those several poor shots early on, they would have been criticised for playing rashly and (in the case of Crawley) failing again. Instead, they're being lauded for their brilliant innings. That's the tightrope that batters constantly walk.

The Ashes: Mayors urge ECB to rethink venues for 2027 series - BBC Sport

You can't not play at Lords, so maybe The Oval should miss out occasionally. If not, maybe they should do it so that it's always at least one of Edgbaston/Trent Bridge (as that covers the midlands), and one of Old Trafford/Headingley (to cover the north).

Ultimately, somewhere is going to have to miss out. Perhaps if the women start playing three tests, that would give those grounds something to look forward to.