1984 Ashes Series - 1st Test ; Video of game

Found videos for the 2nd and 3rd Test but the 1st test is proving elusive 🤔    A 90 seconds highlights the only item located. 

Appreciate any links or hints. 

Completed watching the 1978 and 1982 series....... bit of extra TV viewing time provided by the shortened cricket test match 😑

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

12 hours ago, The Partisan said:

Found videos for the 2nd and 3rd Test but the 1st test is proving elusive 🤔    A 90 seconds highlights the only item located. 

Appreciate any links or hints. 

Completed watching the 1978 and 1982 series....... bit of extra TV viewing time provided by the shortened cricket test match 😑

11 hours ago, Scubby said:

I know it's not part of our game and we should be so pleased we have stamped this type of behaviour out of the sport etc. etc. but a couple of top class fights in that game with Goodway and Crooks taking on Dowling and Co.

I promise I really tried not to enjoy it but I'm afraid I did.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 30/12/2021 at 10:18, Scubby said:

Weird incident at 20 minutes 50 seconds of the video.

Australia on the attack and ref pings them for obstruction and signals a penalty.  Then a scrum is set with an Aussie feed.

I would assume it was just editing but the commentary seems continuous and uninterrupted. 

Edit. Just looking again, it must have been the video edit cut just before getting scrum but it's difficult to spot.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 31/12/2021 at 09:39, EggFace said:

Just checked on the crowd and it was 30,190 yet the Rugby Union Bledisloe Cup got over 40000...any Aussie fans old to remember tell me why and that goes for the spanking brand new 2 tests in 1988 ?

RL Tests at the time were considered uncompetitive whereas the Australian union team was quite strong and giving the All Blacks a real contest.

Just now, rlno1 said:

RL Tests at the time were considered uncompetitive whereas the Australian union team was quite strong and giving the All Blacks a real contest.

I recall in RLWeek in about 1984 they actually gave a whole page match review of a Wallabies all Blacks Test.

4 hours ago, rlno1 said:

I think I read on the net that the 1988 tests at the new SFS ticket prices were too high and the All Blacks toured that year but didn't play at the SFS  but at the smaller Concord instead but got similar crowds ?

9 hours ago, EggFace said:

I think I read on the net that the 1988 tests at the new SFS ticket prices were too high and the All Blacks toured that year but didn't play at the SFS  but at the smaller Concord instead but got similar crowds ?

That is correct...the ticket prices were high and put people off...infact it also affected the origin games.The origin games in Sydney drew 26,441 and 16,910 both similar to the two Tests in Sydney.

Prices were adjusted to reasonable prices in 1989.

12 hours ago, rlno1 said:

That is correct...the ticket prices were high and put people off...infact it also affected the origin games.The origin games in Sydney drew 26,441 and 16,910 both similar to the two Tests in Sydney.

Maybe they thought that the public would pay more to see the game played at a brand new stadium.  Could that be why the ticket prices were high?

The 1984 tour was the first GB v Aust after the 82 shellacking which had such an impact on the British game.

The tour was a disaster of the wrong players in the wrong positions underperforming and generally behaving like an undisciplined rabble off the field. The results in New Zealand were disgraceful but nobody cared.

Frank Myler ran that tour. I expected him to be more heavily criticised than he was, but he was obviously a well-respected figure in the game. Two or three average players from his club were selected to tour.

3 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

The 1984 tour was the first GB v Aust after the 82 shellacking which had such an impact on the British game.

The tour was a disaster of the wrong players in the wrong positions underperforming and generally behaving like an undisciplined rabble off the field. The results in New Zealand were disgraceful but nobody cared.

Frank Myler ran that tour. I expected him to be more heavily criticised than he was, but he was obviously a well-respected figure in the game. Two or three average players from his club were selected to tour.

It's interesting that you say this.  I had only just started to watch RL in 1984 so this tour kind of passed me by but looking at it retrospectively (and the videos) I would thought the '84 performance was better than '82.

Yes, it was a 3-0 loss to the Kangaroos but (for example) 10 tries to 3 across the series when it was 19 tries to 2 for the Aussies away from home in '82.

On 31/12/2021 at 08:49, Dunbar said:

I promise I really tried not to enjoy it but I'm afraid I did.

`84 was my first year in Sydney having moved down from the country, it was also the first year I got to see live NSWRL. For someone whos` whole experience watching top flight League at that stage had been the 6 p.m. 1hr highlights after milking and dinner on a Sunday or 3p.m. ABC Match of the Day before milking it was quite the year for me. I saw Origin, Tests and St. George play live for the first time.

I was at that Test Match and remember being disappointed that Oz did seem to have the game comfortably in hand but getting back to your post ( excuse my earlier reminiscing) something I`ll never forget was a fight breaking out in a scrum and Gary Jack, the Oz fullback, running past the brawling packs to get at his opposite number 40 yards down field. Crazy stuff.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

It's interesting that you say this.  I had only just started to watch RL in 1984 so this tour kind of passed me by but looking at it retrospectively (and the videos) I would thought the '84 performance was better than '82.

Yes, it was a 3-0 loss to the Kangaroos but (for example) 10 tries to 3 across the series when it was 19 tries to 2 for the Aussies away from home in '82.

The 82 kangaroos faced players, coaches and a nation so woefully under-prepared and over-confident it was unreal.

The 84 squad could and should have done much better. More focussed, better coached, without bizarre selections and playing to their strengths, they would have given a much better account of themselves.

Ray French was scathing of certain aspects of what went on in his tour book.

On 02/01/2022 at 01:17, rlno1 said:

Yes 1989 it was all good again for Sydney SOO for the crowd.

5 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

The 82 kangaroos faced players, coaches and a nation so woefully under-prepared and over-confident it was unreal.

The 84 squad could and should have done much better. More focussed, better coached, without bizarre selections and playing to their strengths, they would have given a much better account of themselves.

Ray French was scathing of certain aspects of what went on in his tour book.

Ellery Hanley playing on the wing - nuts selection. To make it even more bizarre his Bradford full back team mate Keith Mumby played in the centres 😕

Hanley came back from the tour and and went onto score over 50 tries - playing in the centre.

On 01/01/2022 at 18:21, rlno1 said:

Further to that above @EggFace, specifically, the Wallabies were playing a fantastic brand of “running rugby” with the Ella brothers, Campese, Lynah and Nick Farr-Jones all household names in NSW and Qld at least and the Galloping Greens in Randwick in the heart of Sydney being unofficially the best club side in the world. 

That team would later go on to win the Wallabies only ever Grand Slam against the home nations.

RU interest was at an all time high.

22 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Further to that above @EggFace, specifically, the Wallabies were playing a fantastic brand of “running rugby” with the Ella brothers, Campese, Lynah and Nick Farr-Jones all household names in NSW and Qld at least and the Galloping Greens in Randwick in the heart of Sydney being unofficially the best club side in the world. 

That team would later go on to win the Wallabies only ever Grand Slam against the home nations.

RU interest was at an all time high.

Thank you the great post as I often think from research that Queensland Rugby League was strong in 1980-1984 but NSWRL was still the major code then but Sydney Rugby Union was at its peak until Alan Jones.

BTW what crowds did Randwick, North Sydney and Manly get as crowds for Rugby Union compared to Eastern Suburbs, Souths, North Sydney and Manly for that period.

10 minutes ago, EggFace said:

Thank you the great post as I often think from research that Queensland Rugby League was strong in 1980-1984 but NSWRL was still the major code then but Sydney Rugby Union was at its peak until Alan Jones.

BTW what crowds did Randwick, North Sydney and Manly get as crowds for Rugby Union compared to Eastern Suburbs, Souths, North Sydney and Manly for that period.

Not so sure around those early 80s fixtures, more the late 80s and beyond. I couldn’t give you a definitive figure either. Even in the early 80s Coogee Oval (Randwick) was not comparable to RL club grounds. They always felt packed, although I was very young. I can’t imagine there could have been a lot more than 7k for a big game considering the facilities. That would still be an attractive crowd size for NSWRL I hazard a guess. As for the other big RU clubs like Warringah, Manly and Eastwood, I don’t recall sorry. I never watched top flight RU anywhere other than Coogee Oval. It may be rose titnted glasses, but the RU SoO was a big event. To my understanding, QRU was fairing quite well against QRL around this time too. Ballymore was a hot ticket.

Whilst RL has always been king of the hill in Sydney, there was always a reasonable following of other sports in there. RU was well featured in the media, both televised and press. Even Australian Rules before the arrival of the Swans were getting 4 figure crowds for SFL matches that were all well covered in the press and often enough, even televised news coverage. The Swans swallowed up all that interest and left the SFL as a development league at best.

23 minutes ago, EggFace said:

The Rugby League Digest delivered a spectacular podcast episode about the formation of the Brisbane Broncos. It should be easy to find. It will give you a pretty good account of QRL in the 80s leading up to the Broncos entering NSWRL.

2 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Not so sure around those early 80s fixtures, more the late 80s and beyond. I couldn’t give you a definitive figure either. Even in the early 80s Coogee Oval (Randwick) was not comparable to RL club grounds. They always felt packed, although I was very young. I can’t imagine there could have been a lot more than 7k for a big game considering the facilities. That would still be an attractive crowd size for NSWRL I hazard a guess. As for the other big RU clubs like Warringah, Manly and Eastwood, I don’t recall sorry. I never watched top flight RU anywhere other than Coogee Oval. It may be rose titnted glasses, but the RU SoO was a big event. To my understanding, QRU was fairing quite well against QRL around this time too. Ballymore was a hot ticket.

Whilst RL has always been king of the hill in Sydney, there was always a reasonable following of other sports in there. RU was well featured in the media, both televised and press. Even Australian Rules before the arrival of the Swans were getting 4 figure crowds for SFL matches that were all well covered in the press and often enough, even televised news coverage. The Swans swallowed up all that interest and left the SFL as a development league at best.

Terry Butcher came over ro coach a Soccer team but said it was always Rugby League and that was in 1983.

7k for Rugby Union is good for the early 80s

Archived