Jump to content

West Wales Raiders - laughing stock


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Cameron Highlander said:

I keep hearing since I got interested in League in 2016 about this wonderful "Rugby League Family" that you/we are all a part of.  Boy.....the way some of you posters here are sticking it big-time to the WWR Club.....if this is family.....then I shudder to think how you would treat enemies.....     Just saying.....

Indulging naughty children rarely turns out well for a family.

This isn't some complex case that the RFL (or WRL) are failing if they don't support. It's a club that consistently shows itself to be incompetent at the basics being incompetent at the basics again.

The punishment for failing to fulfil a fixture in a professional league has to be severe even if (and I don't but others clearly do) have sympathy for the reasons.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites


9 hours ago, Cameron Highlander said:

I keep hearing since I got interested in League in 2016 about this wonderful "Rugby League Family" that you/we are all a part of.  Boy.....the way some of you posters here are sticking it big-time to the WWR Club.....if this is family.....then I shudder to think how you would treat enemies.....     Just saying.....

I'll agree with the other answers to this statement and say it is because we care that we get so angry at the incompetance and mismanagement of this "franchise" and what it does to the game in Wales. People forget that in it's first season - as Scorpions - it made the play-offs, not bad for a newbie team and that first team had the likes of Anthony Seibold on it's staff - NRL and England RU on his CV since - showing some planning.

Since then - with admitedly a few ownership changes - it has basically done feck all and gone from bad to worse. Try telling RU buddies that the game has something when they can just point to WWR....

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was recently assured by top people in the RFL that ALL League 1 clubs meet the Governance blueprint advocated by Sport England as best practice.

Talk of a pyramid within the game is a touch misplaced as NCL Tier 4 clubs are modelled totally different to the semi pro's-much more like RFU  outfits with multiple teams from 4 year old upwards. They wouldn't get in as they don't meet the standards.

If West Wales have to seek alternatives it would have to be the Southern Conference. And the new entity RFL Commercial would have to fund at least the travel bills. Would love to hear the thoughts of the incoming 'strategic partner' for the lower levels of our game....

Meanwhile West Wales of course hold the magic card of RFL membership , and depending on your views that has considerable value. Just ask Cornwall.

Any rich guys out there willing to throw the dice ?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/04/2022 at 01:57, Cameron Highlander said:

I keep hearing since I got interested in League in 2016 about this wonderful "Rugby League Family" that you/we are all a part of.  Boy.....the way some of you posters here are sticking it big-time to the WWR Club.....if this is family.....then I shudder to think how you would treat enemies.....     Just saying.....

Sometimes family members need to be reminded of a few home truths. Ignoring the issue and pretending it isn't there never did anyone any good 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/04/2022 at 19:24, gingerjon said:

Failure to fulfil a fixture in union at any level usually results in automatic demotion.

Any level apart from the Premiership?or are Worcester going down then? I must have missed that part of the panel's report...

I'm not convinced WWR or RL are an outlier. Getting RFL approved medical staff in must be a nightmare if your past 4th choice and the nearest Pro RL clubs are Cornwall or North Wales. 

If WWR were a school you'd put them in special measures and bring in experienced help and oversight to turn things around.

Edited by Tommygilf
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Any level apart from the Premiership?or are Worcester going down then? I must have missed that part of the panel's report...

I'm not convinced WWR or RL are an outlier. Getting RFL approved medical staff in must be a nightmare if your past 4th choice and the nearest Pro RL clubs are Cornwall or North Wales. 

If WWR were a school you'd put them in special measures and bring in experienced help and oversight to turn things around.

I'm surprised by that but suspect it has a lot to do with it being Premier Rugby rather than the RFU.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/04/2022 at 19:33, theswanmcr said:

Indeed and it is a joke that couple times fulfill the fixture and no way for a ‘professional’ club to act.

My point was more that the media, thankfully, won’t really mention this as it is at the lowest level of our pro ranks. And that level is very much semi-pro… or amateur in terms of West Wales.

Not sure what the West Wales pay their players really does qualify them even as "semi pro" let alone the "Pro" label I think you give them in error. 

For me they just about do the job they and others like Cornwall and Skolars are given to do which is be the cannon fodder to make up a third league so long established clubs like Rochdale, Keighley, Swinton, Oldham and Hunslet can survive.. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/04/2022 at 09:32, steve oates said:

Not sure what the West Wales pay their players really does qualify them even as "semi pro" let alone the "Pro" label I think you give them in error. 

For me they just about do the job they and others like Cornwall and Skolars are given to do which is be the cannon fodder to make up a third league so long established clubs like Rochdale, Keighley, Swinton, Oldham and Hunslet can survive.. 

Same could be said for so many League 1 clubs and even junior Super League players. 40 quid losing payment for an away day in Cumbria.

Hardly "professional".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Same could be said for so many League 1 clubs and even junior Super League players. 40 quid losing payment for an away day in Cumbria.

Hardly "professional".

Shocked! I am not sure what I thought they got for playing but if that is truly all they get for getting a "kicking" then I admire their fortitude as players. There are probably RU clubs all around them who could afford the same amounts and they get a their lumps without the bonus of a long coach ride back....

That said, the club knows the geography and losing - ergo low payments - must sap morale and make it harder to recruit and retain and if they - the club - cannot deal with the geography they had no business trying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, stevecl said:

Shocked! I am not sure what I thought they got for playing but if that is truly all they get for getting a "kicking" then I admire their fortitude as players. There are probably RU clubs all around them who could afford the same amounts and they get a their lumps without the bonus of a long coach ride back....

That said, the club knows the geography and losing - ergo low payments - must sap morale and make it harder to recruit and retain and if they - the club - cannot deal with the geography they had no business trying.

I know for a fact that Sandal RUFC in Wakefield (a relatively low paying 5th tier side playing in the highest level of regionalised leagues) pay virtually the same - and did so in the 6th tier too. And they are absolutely part time with evening training and no daytime commitments.

The lad I knew who typified the League experience was paid £250 a month at a Super League club as Full Time academy/fringe first team player and the League 1 wages at a current League 1 club. I know he played Championship too but not sure what he was on there. He's now an electrician.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The lad I knew who typified the League experience was paid £250 a month at a Super League club as Full Time academy/fringe first team player and the League 1 wages at a current League 1 club. I know he played Championship too but not sure what he was on there. He's now an electrician.

The amount we expect from our players and how little they are paid in their short careers should be a source of genuine embarrassment to the game.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I know for a fact that Sandal RUFC in Wakefield (a relatively low paying 5th tier side playing in the highest level of regionalised leagues) pay virtually the same - and did so in the 6th tier too. And they are absolutely part time with evening training and no daytime commitments.

The lad I knew who typified the League experience was paid £250 a month at a Super League club as Full Time academy/fringe first team player and the League 1 wages at a current League 1 club. I know he played Championship too but not sure what he was on there. He's now an electrician.

That's just awful. 

And such a shame. People love the sport, they play it through their formative years, they try to make a go of it, but when it gets to the crunch we can't afford to keep them in the game. I wonder how widespread this is? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hate to say it, but if the pay really is that low for many of the part time teams, it does sort of justify limiting the number of times teams travel outside the heartland for away games. 

If it helped keep players in the sport, it's something to at least consider. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I hate to say it, but if the pay really is that low for many of the part time teams, it does sort of justify limiting the number of times teams travel outside the heartland for away games. 

If it helped keep players in the sport, it's something to at least consider. 

Little League thinking right there. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Little League thinking right there. 

 

If we're paying "professionals" £40 to spend a day on a bus travelling then we are a little league. 

The reality is that some clubs are trading on their players' love of the sport, not providing thrm professional opportunities. In those circumstances, doing things that make participation more enjoyable for the players is not unreasonable. 

I wish it wasn't so, but it is. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

If we're paying "professionals" £40 to spend a day on a bus travelling then we are a little league. 

The reality is that some clubs are trading on their players' love of the sport, not providing thrm professional opportunities. In those circumstances, doing things that make participation more enjoyable for the players is not unreasonable. 

I wish it wasn't so, but it is. 

We’re not. We’re apparently paying part-time players to do so. There’s a difference and it should be recognised.  

Reducing the amount of times parochial clubs from the heartlands have to travel to far away places that they can’t get to within an hour or on a regional bus service, whilst we have teams in the third tier who have to do this up to ten times a year, is the very definition of little league. It’s a diminishing effect on the game and drives an even bigger wedge between some clubs and those from areas that aren’t traditional areas of the sport. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

If we're paying "professionals" £40 to spend a day on a bus travelling then we are a little league. 

The reality is that some clubs are trading on their players' love of the sport, not providing thrm professional opportunities. In those circumstances, doing things that make participation more enjoyable for the players is not unreasonable. 

I wish it wasn't so, but it is. 

By ending participation of half the teams in the league?

It's contraction and, as is always the way, will do absolutely nothing to either improve or expand the game in the heartlands.

Heartlands being a joke term anyway.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

That's just awful. 

And such a shame. People love the sport, they play it through their formative years, they try to make a go of it, but when it gets to the crunch we can't afford to keep them in the game. I wonder how widespread this is? 

I suspect very widespread.

This is at the core of why the RFL doesn't want to let any club run an "academy". The example player I said now doesn't play the game at all, at any level. His junior team was decimated when academies came knocking and as such that team fell apart. All the while he couldn't go to college as he was expected to train like a first team player whilst not being paid enough to run a car.

Cat3 academies are better, at least they guarantee some form of education alongside rugby. 

By the time you are in League 1 you really are at a level where comparisons of pay should be with 9th or 10th division football or 6th division RU. That is to say little more than amateur with a bit of cash as a thank you.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Jughead said:

We’re not. We’re apparently paying part-time players to do so. There’s a difference and it should be recognised.  

Reducing the amount of times parochial clubs from the heartlands have to travel to far away places that they can’t get to within an hour or on a regional bus service, whilst we have teams in the third tier who have to do this up to ten times a year, is the very definition of little league. It’s a diminishing effect on the game and drives an even bigger wedge between some clubs and those from areas that aren’t traditional areas of the sport. 

The problem is that those wages also stretch into SL with fringe/academy players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

By ending participation of half the teams in the league?

It's contraction and, as is always the way, will do absolutely nothing to either improve or expand the game in the heartlands.

Heartlands being a joke term anyway.

I think this is worthy of a more in depth chat but League 1 needs looking at. It is currently trying to be all things to all clubs and not really working for many of them.

I think we might be stretching the capabilities of clubs to operate in the lowest national (non-regional) league atm, and looking at balancing that out might help. There isn't just one solution that stands out, but there needs to be some thought given to where League 1 can go and what the future holds. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

By ending participation of half the teams in the league?

It's contraction and, as is always the way, will do absolutely nothing to either improve or expand the game in the heartlands.

Heartlands being a joke term anyway.

Why is it a joke? It's just a fact that 90% (or more?) of league activity in England is in a narrow geographical area. 

But if we're losing players even there because our offer is so unappealing then we're already contracting.

And we're not alone in this. Union and lower league football have also increased regionalisation in recent time to support participation. 

To be clear, I'm not saying we should kick teams out immediately based on location, but our current structure doesn't serve best purpose. It seems crazy to me that our third tier - which is verging on amateur with some boot money - has much more travelling than our second tier.

I don't want to start another structure thread, bu to me spreading ourselves too thin in tier 3 potentially has significant downsides in terms of attracting and maintaining talent. 

I agree that if changes do come it'll probably be a crude contraction, because that's how we roll, but that still doesn't mean how we do things now is working. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Why is it a joke? It's just a fact that 90% (or more?) of league activity in England is in a narrow geographical area. 

But if we're losing players even there because our offer is so unappealing then we're already contracting.

And we're not alone in this. Union and lower league football have also increased regionalisation in recent time to support participation. 

To be clear, I'm not saying we should kick teams out immediately based on location, but our current structure doesn't serve best purpose. It seems crazy to me that our third tier - which is verging on amateur with some boot money - has much more travelling than our second tier.

I don't want to start another structure thread, bu to me spreading ourselves too thin in tier 3 potentially has significant downsides in terms of attracting and maintaining talent. 

I agree that if changes do come it'll probably be a crude contraction, because that's how we roll, but that still doesn't mean how we do things now is working. 

 

It’s a joke because you have to drop down to ward level to find anything resembling an area where rugby league is dominant.

The heartlands don’t exist except as a fanciful notion.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...