Stadium updates .......

That hypothetical sketch was shown at the first public meeting ages ago.

Lot of water under the bridge since then not least because of govt delays on releasing money and  very high inflation. On top of that Jenkinson has done nothing to get govt to make up for inflation costs of about £1m, nor has he bothered to put any effort at all into finding sources of additional funding.

From what I've heard from various sources, this means that the stadium will be a redeveloped B Pk, using the existing pitch and terracing while the stand as well as the side cover will all be a very basic modular design.About as far away from the inspirational first design, that Jinks scuppered with misinformation, as you can get.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, rockerlad said:

It was a £23m project 18 months ago Rocker. It's still just the reds getting a new stand and pitch, while Town gives up its stadium. So I still have my doubts who is getting a raw deal here. That update tells us nothing apart from another conceptual drawing that may look absolutely nothing like what is delivered and they have spent the £50k that was released by the council in February and are now getting another £30k off them.

Can anyone remember what time frame was on spending the grant before its lost? As 18 months ago there seemed to be some urgency on it. 

• Like 1

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

9 minutes ago, The Voodooguru said:

It was a £23m project 18 months ago Rocker. It's still just the reds getting a new stand and pitch, while Town gives up its stadium. So I still have my doubts who is getting a raw deal here. That update tells us nothing apart from another conceptual drawing that may look absolutely nothing like what is delivered and they have spent the £50k that was released by the council in February and are now getting another £30k off them.

Can anyone remember what time frame was on spending the grant before its lost? As 18 months ago there seemed to be some urgency on it. 

I believe it's 2025. The article does tell us plans will be available in the new year and that there will be a chance for fans to discuss/ask questions so maybe another even we can go to?

• Like 1

Sorry I'm not up to speed with it all, why has a new company been created to handle it? I thought it was being run by reds & town? 

Also, noticed they had been talking to football foundation? Should they not also be speaking to the RFL? That would lead me to think it'll be more for reds than town? 

That being said, IF it comes off and IF it's managed correctly then it'll be a major boost for sport in the Workington area. 

5 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Sorry I'm not up to speed with it all, why has a new company been created to handle it? I thought it was being run by reds & town? 

Also, noticed they had been talking to football foundation? Should they not also be speaking to the RFL? That would lead me to think it'll be more for reds than town? 

That being said, IF it comes off and IF it's managed correctly then it'll be a major boost for sport in the Workington area. 

The CSV company has been in existence for a couple of year.The football Foundation will provide funding for pitches. 

I'm not sure what money is available from the rfl for stadium projects if I'm being honest. 

Edited by rockerlad
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Neutralfan7 said:

The new company will I'd guess eventually be a combination of reds/town/independent (possibly council) members to manage the stadium during and after completion.

They are talking to the FA as they will fund the 4g pitches, the RFL haven't got a pot to #### in unless you're from Yorkshire. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

4 hours ago, The Voodooguru said:

What's the point of showing drawings of what's its not going to look like? Might as well just show a pic of Old Trafford.

But at least it seems they spent some of the 50k on a pc because the picture is done on a pc and not just scribbled and coloured in with crayons and felt pens like last time.

Still shows nothing and answers no questions.

4 hours ago, The Voodooguru said:

Town are getting the raw deal - that's been known from day1

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

But Cumb Council can make sure that the proceeds from the sale of Fibrus Stadium land go towards moving beyond stage 1 (stand and new pitch is all you can now get from govt money as its been 4  years since first announced)

It looks like the longterm plan is intended to meet both Town and Reds requirements. As a  supporter of the new stadium I welcome the public meetings in the New Year and urge all fans to attend so that they can give their feedback.

For those who want to read press release go to Times & Star or Cumb Crack website.

• Haha 1

On 07/12/2023 at 13:31, Marrafan said:

Be very surprised if Cumberland Council put any money into this. They owe millions and are cutting back on everything. Except their allowances of course

Nice one Marrafan....

• Like 1

I find the lack of transparency frustrating, Dave Bowden appears to be the lead on the project but somethings held this scheme up for 4 years and the lack of progress is there for everyone to see.

Nobody wants a 'lastminute.com' stadium, but it looks as of that's what we will get as the money has to be spent by 2025, which doesn't leave long for planning, consultation, test drilling and finally the build.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Town pull out of the ground share, they could in theory and always look to move in with the Reds at a later date should the next phases ever get built.

Its a poor show and the powers that be need to take some responsibility, as does the new Stadium Board who should be banging on doors to get this scheme moving.

If not, get someone else in with some major construction knowledge who can move this forward   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

I find the lack of transparency frustrating, Dave Bowden appears to be the lead on the project but somethings held this scheme up for 4 years and the lack of progress is there for everyone to see.

Nobody wants a 'lastminute.com' stadium, but it looks as of that's what we will get as the money has to be spent by 2025, which doesn't leave long for planning, consultation, test drilling and finally the build.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Town pull out of the ground share, they could in theory and always look to move in with the Reds at a later date should the next phases ever get built.

Its a poor show and the powers that be need to take some responsibility, as does the new Stadium Board who should be banging on doors to get this scheme moving.

If not, get someone else in with some major construction knowledge who can move this forward   

Scrap it

What do you think they are going to get with 5 or 6 million now??

Maryport were given 5M for a swimming pool at same time, and costs by last year had gone up 600k so was scrapped by council and spent elsewhere in Maryport.

The reason it is all quiet is - they are going to end up with something less than what we have now at DP - just a new small LOW LEVEL stand only, and if they admitted that no one would want to move.

Split the money now 3M each for ground improvements

And they will play right to final whistle then scream "we need to decide now or lose it" Town getting sold down river just for reds to get a stand.

Just look at some of the other clubs Salford etc - ground sharing is not good for the game.

Control your own ground and you can control your own finances - income, expenses, Bar money etc.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Derwent Parker said:

Scrap it

Maryport were given 5M for a swimming pool at same time, and costs by last year had gone up 600k so was scrapped by council and spent elsewhere in Maryport.

The reason it is all quiet is - they are going to end up with something less than what we have now at DP - just a new small LOW LEVEL stand only, and if they admitted that no one would want to move.

And they will play right to final whistle then scream "we need to decide now or lose it" Town getting sold down river just for reds to get a stand.

Just look at some of the other clubs Salford etc - ground sharing is not good for the game.

Control your own ground and you can control your own finances - income, expenses, Bar money etc.

Money can't be split. It has to be spent on the BP site. 

43 minutes ago, rockerlad said:

Money can't be split. It has to be spent on the BP site. 

So is that the conspiracy theory? Kick the progress into the long grass so the reds get their ground renovated and Town get the "join us or die" ultimatum at the last minute?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Derwent Parker said:

Scrap it

If they come with plans for a low level stand l would hope to see many against it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...

I see there has been a "major step forward" in the borough park revamp. £235k has been released so plans can be drawn and planning submitted. I hope that the drawings are almost already done, as by the time a spade goes in the ground the money release deadline might have expired.

I wonder if there will be a period where fans can both clubs can look at the plans and suggest improvements, or have they left it last minute on purpose so they can say "here it is like it or not as we have a deadline to meet"? I have to be honest in that when I came out of the Carnegie many moons ago I was enthused and sure that it was the future for both clubs. But I've completely lost faith in the project. Looking back at the website in February 2023 the update was "We can now report that our project has been allocated an initial fund of £50,000 from Allerdale Borough Council to complete work necessary to satisfy the final funding conditions. Within weeks this will enable us to begin to drawdown from the £6.4m and proceed with the real work of specifying the detail of the stadium. We will keep you posted at every stage!  So the "within weeks" is now over 52 and there's still nothing to see other than a conceptual drawing that be be nothing like reality. I understand that there will be work going on in the background as they must have spent the £80k somewhere, but why say within weeks?  

In the last 18 months Town have gone from strength to strength, especially off the pitch. Will this shared version of Borough park allow us to keep growing? I understand DP is old and has high maintenance costs, but we are the masters of our own destiny there, I'm starting to wonder if the Borough park bus shelter project will stop that. Hope I'm wrong. UTT

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, The Voodooguru said:

In the last 18 months Town have gone from strength to strength, especially off the pitch. Will this shared version of Borough park allow us to keep growing? I understand DP is old and has high maintenance costs, but we are the masters of our own destiny there, I'm starting to wonder if the Borough park bus shelter project will stop that. Hope I'm wrong. UTT

I would expect Town's success in reinventing the club on and off the field would give them more influence over decisions in the coming months as they now have a better idea of what is required commercially to make the stadium viable.

My bigger concern is there won't be the money to make this a reality as one main grandstand to house hospitality, changing rooms etc will cost more than the entire budget for the stadium if done correctly! 

I suppose we will have to wait and see what can be built with what is a very very tight budget 

I agree with Voodoo that fans need to be involved more. Last year we were promised a public meeting in tge New Year about the plans . Come on Tiwn Directors make sure it takes place soon.

Also no mention of the sale of Derwent Park land and whether those funds will be earmarked for the new stadium or will they go to help pay off Copelands inherited debts?

Having said that I believe an inspiring new stadium (and the architect's sketch looks good, not a tin sheets bus shelter after all!) will reap big rewards for both clubs.