Championship & L1 2022 mid-season pickups

Kieran Dixon like him or not has a lot of Championship experience and pace, one thing you can’t coach. He got a contract at Leigh after a trial pre season when we had low numbers so I can’t imagine he is commanding a massive deal. In his games at the LSV on a foot pitch he actually performed really well, unfortunately he had a shocker on TV at the swamp in round 2 and got dropped. Happy to have him in the squad with Hitchcox.

4 minutes ago, binosh said:

Kieran Dixon like him or not has a lot of Championship experience and pace, one thing you can’t coach. He got a contract at Leigh after a trial pre season when we had low numbers so I can’t imagine he is commanding a massive deal. In his games at the LSV on a foot pitch he actually performed really well, unfortunately he had a shocker on TV at the swamp in round 2 and got dropped. Happy to have him in the squad with Hitchcox.

Yeah he's great, you should drop Inu or Ferguson and play him at the Summer Bash.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Yeah he's great, you should drop Inu or Ferguson and play him at the Summer Bash.

It'd give you all something to sing about 😉 

On Kieron , he's alway done quite well against us , back in the first season of the 8s we were beating HKR quite convincingly at half time , then 2 runs from his own line , one an interception I think and HKR were back in it and blew us away , probably costing us a MPG spot 

Edited by GUBRATS

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Fax lad isn't he, so should imagine he will take a pay cut to help out his home town club😉

Yeah its one of those where he has always talked about finishing his career at Fax but the chances happening will be pretty slim I imagine but maybe we get him in his last season.

4 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

It depends what your expectations were. Mathiou was playing third grade in Australia and Gill had been riddled with injuries and had only a small number of second grade games to his name. McDermott spoke earlier this season about Gill having "backed himself" in coming over and I suspect the financial outlay from the club has been fairly minimal in the grand scheme of things on a couple of players who were always going to be projects.

Mathiou has played several games on loan at Doncaster and presumably hasn't shown enough to merit selection at Fev (he did play briefly from the bench in the away game at Bradford).

Gill actually started the away game at Wokrington and has apparently been fairly impressive in training but he got a shocking injury early in the Workington game and is only just coming back. He has some real talent in front of him at half back but you get the impression the club quite likes him.

If you want to talk about dud signings, rather than these two how about Kieran Dixon at Leigh, who I'd guess will be on a lot more money than either of those? His weaknesses were widely known before he signed at Leigh especially after he was badly exposed in live TV games for York last year, but still Leigh signed him. He duly had an absolute carcrash of a game against Fev at Post Office Road and was hastily shipped out on loan to Rochdale/Widnes. Leigh had about 6 wings on their books at one stage but have the funds to simply buy their way out of any mistakes by signing the likes of Ferguson and Inu.

Dixon was taken on trial when he was looking for a club and was taken on to provide a bit of depth at a time when we were still building the squad. I would highly doubt he's on any sort of significant wages. 

1 hour ago, LeytherRob said:

Dixon was taken on trial when he was looking for a club and was taken on to provide a bit of depth at a time when we were still building the squad. I would highly doubt he's on any sort of significant wages. 

I'd take fairly short odds that he's on more than the two fellas you were dubbing dud signings.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I'd take fairly short odds that he's on more than the two fellas you were dubbing dud signings.

They are dud signings at the moment, they wouldn't be off to Dewsbury whilst the coach moans about not having enough players otherwise.

It appears Catalans are part of some French plot to assume control of Cumbria as Florian Vailhen and Romain Franco head out on loan to Workington.

Now out on loan from Catalans:

Barrow - Matthieu Cozza 

Whitehaven - Corentin Le Cam, Cesar Rouge

Workington - Florian Vailhen, Roman Franco

7 minutes ago, UTK said:

It appears Catalans are part of some French plot to assume control of Cumbria as Florian Vailhen and Romain Franco head out on loan to Workington.

Barrow - Matthieu Cozza 

Cool names them ' Frenchies ' 

31 minutes ago, UTK said:

Barrow - Matthieu Cozza 

Le marra’s 

1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

Leigh are going up and they are staying up.  No way they finish bottom next season. 

Fingers crossed, it is pretty exciting to be recruiting so early for once, can't remember the last time we had a core squad signed up before October, let alone July. With Matt Davis reportedly on the way also, it's gets some good non quote players in to supplement the very good overseas player we will be keeping.

28 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Salary, yep. Other benefits, who knows. 
Remember, you started this with a strange pop at Fev's recruitment because of two obscure players.

So you know the salaries of Ben Mathiou, Bailey Gill AND Kieran Dixon? Interesting.

I didn't start anything, I made a comment about them because they've just been sent out on loan whilst your coach has been in the press saying you are close to being unable to field 17 players. Not sure why you are so touchy, doesn't take a genius to see Fevs recruitment has been scattergun at best this year.

41 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

So you know the salaries of Ben Mathiou, Bailey Gill AND Kieran Dixon? Interesting.

Nope. I'm allowed to make educated guesses though. I don't know the salaries of, say, Blake Ferguson or Gaz Gale either , but I could make an educated guess at who is on more.

45 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

I didn't start anything, I made a comment about them because they've just been sent out on loan whilst your coach has been in the press saying you are close to being unable to field 17 players. Not sure why you are so touchy, doesn't take a genius to see Fevs recruitment has been scattergun at best this year.

Maybe it has, but I just don't think those 2 players are especially good examples of it. I'm entitled to state that view without being called touchy, I believe.

• Like 1

On 24/06/2022 at 11:01, The Phantom Horseman said:

So this week it's like we will see your Jack Ashworth and raise you with Josh Charnley, seems like there is no place now for either Keiron Dixon or Jy Hitchcox at Leigh.